If you like street, Check this guy out.....

Nah, it wasn't the "street" label or anything like that. At least in the dust-up at mu-43, it was really his aggressive street portrait technique (example) that ruffled a few feathers and sparked a pretty heavy discussion.

I'm a peaceable sort for the most part but if he tried that with me he'd need a new camera. I've seen his stuff before and generally liked what I've seen but that video puts me right off him. Nothing like giving street photography a bad (or even worse) name.

I liked much of his work from well before I knew too much about who he was and his more questionable techniques, which I REALLY dislike (if someone photographed me like that, hate to say, but I'd probably snot him) .....what really ticked me off however was when he showed up on the sister site mu-43.com and announced himself in quite the grandiose manner, it went something like this...."I am the Great Thomas Leuthard and I will grace your forum with my presence. You may now proceed to ask me whatever you need to know about street photography."

In Australia we call that a w*nk*r !!

I liked much of his work from well before I knew too much about who he was and his more questionable techniques, which I REALLY dislike (if someone photographed me like that, hate to say, but I'd probably snot him) .....what really ticked me off however was when he showed up on the sister site mu-43.com and announced himself in quite the grandiose manner, it went something like this...."I am the Great Thomas Leuthard and I will grace your forum with my presence. You may now proceed to ask me whatever you need to know about street photography."

In Australia we call that a w*nk*r !!

hahahahaha good one Joe! :rofl:

Right, this is pretty much how that thread over at mu-43.com went, with people initially being really impressed with the work he showed, then seeing his "instructional" videos and just reacting on a visceral level that "hey, I'd level that guy if he approached ME like that" and find their opinion of the guy changed for the worse. I'd seen those videos before I'd seen that thread OR any of his photography and didn't like him from those. I didn't know he was the same guy when he started that "Ask me about street photography" or whatever it was titled, and I was slightly put off by the holier than thou approach of the thread but I liked the photography I saw a lot. Then I made the connection to the videos and that combined with the whole approach of the thread ('ask me', rather than 'let's discuss') really put me off of the guy again.

This thread starts with Andy seeing his work and liking it, many of us here having the same reaction, then either seeing the videos or making the connection to the videos and/or previous thread, and we naturally react to those. Although I try to judge artists by their art rather than by what I know of them as people (because face it, LOTS of great artists are egotistical jerks), once you DO know, it's difficult or impossible to separate the two. This guy and Bruce Gilden are two people who's work I'd like a LOT more if I didn't know anything about them. And when I just see the work without making the connection to the person that made it, I react quite well to it. And then I'm reminded... Clearly I'm not alone in that reaction...

-Ray

I haven't seen the videos, not that interested to be honest, but I did go over to mu-43 to see what the fuss was about.
Leuthard seemed perfectly polite, answered all he was asked and didn't seem to me to be either patronising or condescending.
Which is a lot more than can be said for some of the other contributors to that thread, unfortunately.

I don't think there was anything objectionable about the thread beyond the title, which was a bit presumptuous. And I didn't see people reacting badly to him or the photographs he shared in the thread - it was basically the videos that polarized people. Me included - polarized internally. Like the photos, dislike the guy I saw in the video. Not much more to it than that...

-Ray

I feel much the same: love the work, like Thomas's philosophy (read the forward to his book Collecting Souls for example), not a fan of that particular invasive technique.

I would agree it made it harder for me to appreciate the rest of his photos to an extent. Having said that, it's clear that's not the core of his work - have a look at his Flickr photostream and it's certainly not the theme.

And as far as the "ask me" approach to the mu-43 thread, I can see how it would be off-putting to some. To be fair and to put it in some perspective however, he's taught workshops, written books, and as far as I can tell is pretty active/open in the street photography scene sharing his technique and experience. I can at least understand where he would be coming from with an "Ask Me Anything" thread on the topic of street photography.

All that aside, I really do enjoy his portfolio, and I've followed Thomas on Flickr this time around so I can hopefully drop in occasionally and see his new stuff.

Back