Film Showcase Ilford HP5 Plus

Sunday morning tech-rehearsal.
HP5+ (120) @3200
Pentax 6x7, 105/2.4
Dev'd in Xtol (22min) and scanned on a V550.

24662789970_a5600c6155_b.jpg

24840315232_f6ff099e8b_b.jpg

24662790310_df97a5ecf3_b.jpg

24662790550_9a23739538_b.jpg

HP5+ rated at 320 ISO. f32 at 1/4 sec using an RB67 with 65 mm "C" lens. Processed in Sprint (1+9) at 20C using a Jobo CPA2.
RB001a.jpg

Crop from right side, expanded a lot! Still see details in shadows and highlights. This is a really nice film - and the large neg doesn't hurt a bit!
RB001b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice - I've always enjoyed HP5+ for its great range. Good eye - I especially like the first one.

Nice results - especially for a firt time effort! (mine is somewhere in a landfill!) You might try increasing the contrast just a bit in the scans, could make the images "pop" a bit more. (Course, this just could be my monitor)

You are so right, the contrast is a bit off as the images do look a bit flat. I am still trying out to find a good work flow but it's so confusing with all of the information out there!!! I might have got it right here but still not happy.

View attachment 2423
Could be the film - it's very nicely graded with smooth transitions IMO, but certainly not very contrasty. However, this is actually quite desirable because it's reasonably easy to change (or correct) contrast in post because of this - scan to TIFF (no compression), then do post using curves and black/white point correction before exporting to JPEG; the contrast slider and/or a zone system tool might help as well - darktable offers all of these; but it's also simple enough to do from within Polarr ... I took the freedom of downloading your JPEG, and even with that (i.e. from non-optimal data, but a nicely balanced image), Polarr made it almost trivial to enhance contrast without ruining the image (I deleted the result - it's your image; but if you would like me to, I can easily redo it).

M.

Back