Sony I'm finding that having no "play toy" options is making me think about light more....that's a good t

rpavich

Veteran
Not having the bells and whistles of a huge DSLR and 20 different lenses is making me a better photographer I think.

This morning, instead of thinking about what lens to use and what to bolt on to my behemoth of a DSLR, I just thought about light.

My step son was getting ready for work and when I opened the front door, I saw the side lighting, so I had him stand there to get one shot...and then had him walk out the door to get a totally different kind of a shot soft lit and with the background dropped out due to the dark house behind him, but both B&W and both about light.

I LIKE how when you turn the aperture, ss or ISO with your eye glued to the view finder you can see the effect on the final product....nice.

DSC00628.jpg
DSC00629-Edit.jpg

I love those shots, and am finding myself in a similar issue as you. Too many toys makes you focus on toys, rather than the shot, it seems to me.

Like the treatment on #2 especially. My only comment is the top of his head disappears into the background, but I like the tone and coloring.

I love those shots, and am finding myself in a similar issue as you. Too many toys makes you focus on toys, rather than the shot, it seems to me.

Like the treatment on #2 especially. My only comment is the top of his head disappears into the background, but I like the tone and coloring.

Thanks for the heads up...I"ll see if I can paint on some exposure and separate it.

This is a good example of the fact that most of what we shoot is nothing to do with the equipment but all to do with how we use what we have.

Good on you!!

Back