I'm not dead yet!!!

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
I hope all you guys & gals are doing well... it's been a while.

As for me, well, a lot has happened. There's been a downturn in the health of my girlfriend and also her mother, although (thank goodness) my g/f has begun an upward tick. With regard to my own personal well-being, I had a rather unfortunate accident while playing basketabll... resulting in a dislocated shoulder, non-displaced fractured zygomatic bone, and other assorted bump and bruises and divots. From what I've been told, I was quite the sight, with half my face covered in blood. A shame my memory of that is so fuzzy, more of a shame there's no pic!

Anyway, I remain in one piece, and am glad to be back! :D

Chris, you've been missed. I thought of you as I wrestled with what superzoom to buy. Glad to see you back (bit slightly disappointed we have no grisly shots of your bloody face). I hope the best for your gf and her mother. Now get busy sharing more kitty photos....that thread has been too slow lately!

Glad to hear things are on the uptick. Sometimes we take our health for granted, until it's not there. Hope to see you around here more.

The first was fine for a while, then abruptly ceased working while I was using it. I hit the shutter button, and the darn thing took the pic and then died. The replacement unit immediately exhibited troubles writing to SD cards, I tried 4 of them and they would suddenly get scrambled when written to by the camera.

So, for now, I am superzoomless.

I soothed my pain with the acquisition of a minty Tak 200/5.6, it's a dream on the K-01...

deer_IMGP3843.jpg

gotta share a bit of music geekery. One of my favorite "garage rock" tunes (and quite early for the genre) from 1965. "Don't Send Me No Flowers (I Ain't Dead Yet) by The Breakers
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vk1mNzwsZaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But Chris, why did you delete your flickr account? I missed looking at your swan and frog shots (and was pointing a friend at them but they are gone) :(:(

Hi Sue!!! :) I didn't like New Flickr, and wound up deleting it mere days prior to the sh!t hitting the fan... or, more accurately, my face hitting the tarmac.

I did grab a Smugmug site, but I haven't populated it yet.

Chris, welcome back. I'm sorry for the family woes. I'll keep the three of you in my prayers. I've had MANY basketball related injuries, but yours sounds a whole lot more serious than any of the ones I've ever had. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hello Chris, we haven't met yet but it is nice to virtually meet you. I am very happy for you, your girlfriend and her mother than the upward spiral has been found.

Nice to see we share a passion for basketball. I am sorry to hear you had such a nasty injury. Probably better that no one can see a photo of your bloody face. They took one of me and the combination of blood and sweat does not work well on a photo. No, I won't share it here. ;-)

All the best,

Peter

I hope all you guys & gals are doing well... it's been a while.

As for me, well, a lot has happened. There's been a downturn in the health of my girlfriend and also her mother, although (thank goodness) my g/f has begun an upward tick. With regard to my own personal well-being, I had a rather unfortunate accident while playing basketabll... resulting in a dislocated shoulder, non-displaced fractured zygomatic bone, and other assorted bump and bruises and divots. From what I've been told, I was quite the sight, with half my face covered in blood. A shame my memory of that is so fuzzy, more of a shame there's no pic!

Anyway, I remain in one piece, and am glad to be back! :D

Yikes! What a time! Life can be more interesting than we'd like at times. Glad you and the others are mending.

Chris, you've been missed as it's easy to see. I'm relieved that you're on the mend and hope that your girlfriend and her mother will be better very soon. All those truisms hold when it comes to life.

Such a lovely little deer - caught in the act!:2thumbs:

Welcome back, Chris. It appears you've been experiencing the old Chinese curse of living in interesting times. You've been missed and we're all glad that you're back. Here's to a speedy recovery for you, your girlfriend and her mom.

Now... the question is which superzoom for you? I almost pulled the trigger on an HS50 and now I'm glad I didn't. Too many quality control and reliability issues. At $399, the new Panasonic FZ70, with a 20-1200mm zoom range, seems very attractive. But the EVF is a low-res affair.

Panasonic FZ70 Review

Thanks everybody, for the kind words, thoughts & prayers... I appreciate all very much!

@ Pniev: a quarter-century of ballin', and this was by far the most I've been mangled. I almost always play on outdoor courts, and the blacktop is far less forgiving than hardwood.

@ Biro: Weak rumour has it that in mid/late September Canon will introduce a successor to the SX50 HS. The SX50 I had for a few weeks churned out photos of higher IQ than any other superzoom I've tried - the little Sony 1/2.33" sensor is a wonder - but the handling was meh and the EVF poor. If an SX60 HS is forthcoming, I might go for it.

Welcome back Chris, you have indeed been missed! Glad to hear your girlfriend is starting to do better, hope her mother will soon be too!
Injuries sound painful!

Back