Micro 4/3 I’m sure there is something wrong with me - dipping back into m43

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
I’ve always wanted to experiment with the Olympus EP5. The one thing holding me back was the fact that I require a viewfinder for the cameras I use.

I always found in m43 that it was more cost effective to get an OMD or the PEN-F instead of the standard PEN line.

well, someone here on this forum was selling a used EP5 for a good price. So, like a good little gearhead, I started looking at prices on used m43 lenses. Lo and behold, I found a used VF-3 for under $100.

I also was able to get 2 lenses for it for under $200 ( I almost forgot how inexpensive some of the good kit lens options are for m43).

so now just for the fun of it, I’m back to 3 systems. Thankfully, the cost of re-entry is relatively low.

I should have everything by middle of next week.

Last edited:
thinking about it, I’ve now got to try and figure out a way to keep my GAS at bay and not get the Sigma primes (f/1.4). I had the 30/1.4 and like what I see out of the 56/1.4.

although I could save some money and just get the f/2.8 variants.

Funny you say that. The X100 series has had my GAS flaring up at every release. But then I think it would compete too much with a Pen and small prime. Since both my larger zoom and smaller prime setup is m43, the possibility to exchange lenses outweighs the fun I think the X100 would bring. But still....

Funny you say that. The X100 series has had my GAS flaring up at every release. But then I think it would compete too much with a Pen and small prime. Since both my larger zoom and smaller prime setup is m43, the possibility to exchange lenses outweighs the fun I think the X100 would bring. But still....

I'm doing Ok with the X100V. I got the WCL-X100II so I have a 28mm and 35mm FOV. Thinking of getting the TCL-X100II for the 50mm FOV....plus the digital teleconverters actually works pretty well...so that puts aside my fears of only having one lens.

For me, the Fuji is great for the film simulations.

I strongly recommend VF-4. I can easily depart [one day :D] with OM-D M-5.2 but basically never with E-P5 with VF-4 🤣

I might one day, if I bond with the EP5 in a meaningful way. I could not find a used VF-4 for a good price, so opted for the VF-3 for the experiment. Not willing to spend the current asking price for the VF-4 I see on the market right now.

I had the EP5, VERY nice solid body. Had one of those add on EVFs back when I had a GX1, never enjoyed using it. But I use the EVF less than 40% of the time so I didn't bother with one when I got the EP5.

When you want to add a fast prime let me know, I'll probably be selling an O17 or PL15 over the next few weeks. :LOL:

Did you ever have the 9mm BCL? Another cheap and fun lens for m4/3.

I'm doing Ok with the X100V. I got the WCL-X100II so I have a 28mm and 35mm FOV. Thinking of getting the TCL-X100II for the 50mm FOV....plus the digital teleconverters actually works pretty well...so that puts aside my fears of only having one lens.

For me, the Fuji is great for the film simulations.
I was very pleasantly surprised with the 28mm to 35mm digital TC on the X70. The 28mm to 50mm was only OK. My only real complaint was it was JPeg only.

I had the EP5, VERY nice solid body. Had one of those add on EVFs back when I had a GX1, never enjoyed using it. But I use the EVF less than 40% of the time so I didn't bother with one when I got the EP5.

When you want to add a fast prime let me know, I'll probably be selling an O17 or PL15 over the next few weeks. :LOL:

Did you ever have the 9mm BCL? Another cheap and fun lens for m4/3.
Indeed I did have the 9mm BCL. I used it quite a bit even for some environmental portraits. It has a certain charm to it. I could see me getting that again.

I’ll keep an eye out for when you sell the primes. Never know where I might be by then. The 17/1.8 Oly was one of my first and favorite lenses for m43. That and the 25/1.8.

Last edited:
I actually liked the image processing from the E-P5. Olympus always does minor tweaks on every camera, making each one unique. I think between that and the E-M5II, those were my two favorite Olympus bodies.
I have to agree with either. There’s always something special about the M5 line. Even the original M5 Mark one. Had Olympus put a PDAF sensor into the EM5 Mark 2 it probably would’ve been one of the perfect micro 4/3 cameras at the time. Too bad they waited so long and put it into the Mark III. By then I already moved on my switch from Olympus to Fuji

I have to agree with either. There’s always something special about the M5 line. Even the original M5 Mark one. Had Olympus put a PDAF sensor into the EM5 Mark 2 it probably would’ve been one of the perfect micro 4/3 cameras at the time. Too bad they waited so long and put it into the Mark III. By then I already moved on my switch from Olympus to Fuji
Maybe it's the perfect time as now you're moving back. :LOL: ;)

Maybe it's the perfect time as now you're moving back. :LOL: ;)

heck one never knows and I’ll not rule anything out.
interesting thing is that the “boss” just gave me the green light on some potential purchases.

I might save up, though. I like where Fuji is going with medium format. I also like the statements I’m hearing about the future of making it smaller and more affordable.

I’m interested in it from a portrait perspective mainly at the onset, but possibly for landscape travel and street in the future.

but that is a ways down the road. I want to see what happens with the Fuji GFX.
I might even get really stupid and look into Leica finally and seriously. Used M8 are reasonable now.

I must love punishment. LOL.

@gryphon1911 I was always tempted by the Leica S series, but too big and too $$$$$. The GFX does look interesting, I'd probably move back to Nikon first with a Z6 or Z7. But luckily they still don't have a reasonable telephoto. Maybe that will change with the 24-104 and 100-400 on the roadmap, but I'm betting the $$$$ will still rule it out.

@gryphon1911 I was always tempted by the Leica S series, but too big and too $$$$$. The GFX does look interesting, I'd probably move back to Nikon first with a Z6 or Z7. But luckily they still don't have a reasonable telephoto. Maybe that will change with the 24-104 and 100-400 on the roadmap, but I'm betting the $$$$ will still rule it out.

In the Z range, I'm most interested in the performance of the 24-200 they are talking about. As a travel lens, it would be an awesome all in one solution that could be supplemented with a few primes for low light situations. I've always like the Idea of the 28-300 f-mount...just never pulled the trigger on one.

thinking about it, I’ve now got to try and figure out a way to keep my GAS at bay and not get the Sigma primes (f/1.4). I had the 30/1.4 and like what I see out of the 56/1.4.

although I could save some money and just get the f/2.8 variants.

I had the f/2.8 version of the 30mm Sigma prime for several years and found it to be a brilliant and underrated lens. It was one of the sharpest lenses I have ever had or used on any camera, and in spite of the relatively slow aperture compared to the f/1.4 version, it was significantly more compact - and surprisingly useful for available light shooting. I originally bought it because some years ago Kirk Tuck was raving about both it and the larger 60mm Sigma, and going on and on about how great they were, and how inexpensive as well. He was right on both counts. It's a lens to consider :)

Back