Micro 4/3 I’m sure there is something wrong with me - dipping back into m43

I heartliy recommend the VF-4. It really is magnificent, especially with the E-P5.

That is a very real possibility for me at this point.

On another note, looking at the image from the P12-32 is pushing my GAS for the P/O 12-40 range f/2.8 zooms back. I totally forgot just how good the 12-32 was. Punchy colors and contrast, small lens what's not to love!

I'm going to try and get out tomorrow and shoot the EP5 with the 40-150 exclusively and see if that can push back my desire for the P35-100/2.8. :)

I'm watching this thread with interest, Andrew.

I sold my m43 gear a few year ago and now have a D500 and D600 but 2 years ago i bought a e-m10 mk2 and P12-32 because i kinda missed having a walkaround camera and I don't want to lug around a DSLR or 2 every time i go out..

You know, the usual story..

Well, I sold the 10.2 last year as I had this weird notion that as I'd gotten an Iphone 11 Pro, that would be good enough:sorry: but its really not - it does weird things in portrait mode..

This week I sold my 24-120 Nikon VR lens as its just sat in my bag, having been used half a dozen times in the last year.

So now I'm thinking... another e-m10 ? Or will i want the e-m1.2 for all its bells and whistles..

GAS is always here..

I sold my m43 gear a few year ago and now have a D500 and D600 but 2 years ago i bought a e-m10 mk2 and P12-32 because i kinda missed having a walkaround camera and I don't want to lug around a DSLR or 2 every time i go out..

Well, I sold the 10.2 last year as I had this weird notion that as I'd gotten an Iphone 11 Pro, that would be good enough:sorry: but its really not - it does weird things in portrait mode..

This week I sold my 24-120 Nikon VR lens as its just sat in my bag, having been used half a dozen times in the last year.

So now I'm thinking... another e-m10 ? Or will i want the e-m1.2 for all its bells and whistles..

GAS is always here..

I had high hopes for the iphone11 as well. While it does have excellent IQ for what it is, it is still relegated to the occasional snapshot versus anything serious.
The main reason? Ergonomics. I just do not like the shooting interface and I NEED a viewfinder to feel comfortable shooting.
i used to own an em10.2 and loves it. I can see the allure of the EM1.2. Right now, I’d say it is probably the best bang for buck m43 camera made. It has everything and is reasonably priced on the used market.

I got out yesterday and was shooting the EP5 again. Really starting to enjoy it. The third party grip arrived late yesterday, so I’m going to see if I have time today to play around with it.

For whatever reason it is the Panasonic GX80 and the select wonderful M4/3 lenses that really interest me, even when I'm such a bokeh whore these days with my photography.

Whenever I think about for example buying a cheap 70-200f/2.8 to adapt to whatever platform, or see amazing work shot with a Canon 100 mm f/2.8 I'm thinking about my Panasonic 35-100 lens, and maybe consider Pana 42.5 f/1.7 and things like that.

I've also realized that I like different gear for different reasons, as subtle as they may be.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can enjoy the technology from various.

There are things that Fuji offers that I prefer over the other brands (film simulations and dials), m43 has the smaller size and peppy performance, great lens selections at good prices, and Nikon has the auto focus and system speed performance that I need for coverage of the sporting events I'm tasked with.

Heck, even to satisfy my "lo-fi" cravings, I have a Digital Holga, Yashica Y35, and a host of Lomography instant cameras like the Lomo Wide and Diana f+ with instax back. REcently picked up an SX-70 that I'm enjoying.

GAS is always here..
Sounds like the E-M5.3 would make the most sense. Size and weight close to the E-M10.2 and features of the E-M1.2.

I had high hopes for the iphone11 as well. While it does have excellent IQ for what it is, it is still relegated to the occasional snapshot versus anything serious.
The main reason? Ergonomics. I just do not like the shooting interface and I NEED a viewfinder to feel comfortable shooting.
i used to own an em10.2 and loves it. I can see the allure of the EM1.2. Right now, I’d say it is probably the best bang for buck m43 camera made. It has everything and is reasonably priced on the used market.

I got out yesterday and was shooting the EP5 again. Really starting to enjoy it. The third party grip arrived late yesterday, so I’m going to see if I have time today to play around with it.

For whatever reason it is the Panasonic GX80 and the select wonderful M4/3 lenses that really interest me, even when I'm such a bokeh whore these days with my photography.

Whenever I think about for example buying a cheap 70-200f/2.8 to adapt to whatever platform, or see amazing work shot with a Canon 100 mm f/2.8 I'm thinking about my Panasonic 35-100 lens, and maybe consider Pana 42.5 f/1.7 and things like that.
The E-M10.2 and GX80/85 are probably both the value kings currently in m4/3.

The P35-100 f/2.8 is definitely unique. The only things that were really comparable were the original Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 and Tokina 50-135 f/2.8.

I've also realized that I like different gear for different reasons, as subtle as they may be.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can enjoy the technology from various.

There are things that Fuji offers that I prefer over the other brands (film simulations and dials), m43 has the smaller size and peppy performance, great lens selections at good prices, and Nikon has the auto focus and system speed performance that I need for coverage of the sporting events I'm tasked with.

Heck, even to satisfy my "lo-fi" cravings, I have a Digital Holga, Yashica Y35, and a host of Lomography instant cameras like the Lomo Wide and Diana f+ with instax back. REcently picked up an SX-70 that I'm enjoying.
Each system offers different things to different users. The rumored XF 70-300 might fill the biggest hole in the Fuji line up for me. Not saying I'm thinking of switching (again), but it was definitely one of the reasons I never really considered the X-T# series (the 100-400 was just too big and $$ to really interest me).

The E-M10.2 and GX80/85 are probably both the value kings currently in m4/3.

The P35-100 f/2.8 is definitely unique. The only things that were really comparable were the original Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 and Tokina 50-135 f/2.8.

They surely are good. My value statement needs clarification. PDAF is a line I draw in the sand for a camera. The EM5.2 would have been that if it had PDAF. Now that the EM5.3 does, it would be considered, however, I cannot comment on the EM5.3 as I have not used one yet. Given that, the EM1.2 used is still edging out all others for me as a complete package.

They surely are good. My value statement needs clarification. PDAF is a line I draw in the sand for a camera. The EM5.2 would have been that if it had PDAF. Now that the EM5.3 does, it would be considered, however, I cannot comment on the EM5.3 as I have not used one yet. Given that, the EM1.2 used is still edging out all others for me as a complete package.
I don't miss PDAF with how I use my Pen F. But I'm pretty sure if I only had one body PDAF would be a requirement.

The E-M1.2 is very nice. But if one is considering the E-M10 series for size/weight the new E-M5.3 is something they should look at. Yes it's a little bigger, but they shaved a good bit of weight. It's 24g more than the E-M10.2 and only 4g more than the E-M10.3; a full 82g less than the E-M5.2.

Who needs PDAF!!!! LOL
04-24-2020_EP5_reyn_out_P4240055.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Have No Fear - m43 can do the job (this is no ad for either P or O) I do not use any of their lenses. There is such amazing old glass available that wants to be used
m43 is more than capable and did a wonderful job when I was asked to provide pics for an exhibition and projection at Radio Bremen.
Four images were selected to cover an area of 3m x 2,25. The size of a single pic is 1,5m x 1,125m and it looks sharp and from a viewing distance of approximately 4-5m no pixels can be noticed.
I admit that I was frightened at first to produce images from a m43 sensor that large, but to the contrary the result is quite convincing and made the radio crew happy.
As an encouragement for other photographers not to be shy to blow up your m43 stuff I post two pics (not m43 but pentax q7 my photographic notebook) .

IMGP4392-800x600.jpg
IMGP4402-800x600.jpg

plus the flyer that shows all the pics
P5010632-1-1200x600.jpg

I've dipped dove back into M4/3.

I picked up an EM1mkii and 12-40.
I really like the ergonomics, size and price of the combo.
I also added a GX85 and 15 1.7.
For back up and leisurely walk/hikes.

I spend too much effort and $$ on some of the aspects of larger sensor systems that I rarely, if at all utilize.
It's time to bring back the enjoyment of shooting instead of chasing my tail.

So, more insanity ensues.

Found a killer deal from a private seller on a used EM5 Mark III.

Should be here by the end of the week.
Sucks about the tripod socket issue, but I can not use the black rapid strap for one camera - I'm sure it won't kill me. :)
Anything smaller than a DSLR I only use a wrist strap attached to the side strap loop. I make then with Paracord 325, more than strong enough.

Back