Micro 4/3 I’m sure there is something wrong with me - dipping back into m43

I had the f/2.8 version of the 30mm Sigma prime for several years and found it to be a brilliant and underrated lens. It was one of the sharpest lenses I have ever had or used on any camera, and in spite of the relatively slow aperture compared to the f/1.4 version, it was significantly more compact - and surprisingly useful for available light shooting. I originally bought it because some years ago Kirk Tuck was raving about both it and the larger 60mm Sigma, and going on and on about how great they were, and how inexpensive as well. He was right on both counts. It's a lens to consider :)

For sure. I see a few used ones online for a nice price. I really liked the Sigma 60mm and thought, "how far behind if at all could the 30mm be?". But when the time came, Sigma had a sale on the 30/1.4 and it was close to the same price as the other f/2.8 lenses so went with it. No regrets, as the 30/1.4 is a great lens. As you say though, for the price and the more compact size, the 30/2.8 is looking very attractive. Now, I need to research the 19/2.8 and see if that is also a worthy contender!

For sure. I see a few used ones online for a nice price. I really liked the Sigma 60mm and thought, "how far behind if at all could the 30mm be?". But when the time came, Sigma had a sale on the 30/1.4 and it was close to the same price as the other f/2.8 lenses so went with it. No regrets, as the 30/1.4 is a great lens. As you say though, for the price and the more compact size, the 30/2.8 is looking very attractive. Now, I need to research the 19/2.8 and see if that is also a worthy contender!
You're heading down a slippery slope here ... *all* the :mu43: Sigma primes are "worthy" ... ;)

I still own the 30mm f/1.4 and 60mm f/2.8 - the latter is such a wonderful performer that I never really felt the tug of the 56mm f/1.4 ...

I had the 30mm f/2.8 as well - very nice lens, but in :mu43: land, there are more interesting alternatives in the same price range, like the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 ...

M.

You're heading down a slippery slope here ... *all* the :mu43: Sigma primes are "worthy" ... ;)

I still own the 30mm f/1.4 and 60mm f/2.8 - the latter is such a wonderful performer that I never really felt the tug of the 56mm f/1.4 ...

I had the 30mm f/2.8 as well - very nice lens, but in :mu43: land, there are more interesting alternatives in the same price range, like the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 ...

M.

I had the P25/1.7 and didn't really like it. I much preferred the Sigma 30/1.4 and the O25/1.8 over it.

I really like the Sigma lines.
Excellent value/performance.

The 30 1.4 and 56 1.4 were really nice portrait lenses on the G85.
Never tried the 16 as the size and focal angle didn't appeal to me.
Now that I have the lens on a Sony I think it would be pretty amazing on M43.
It's large but not very heavy.

the depth and breadth of high quality, inexpensive (used) m43 lenses was why I got out of the sytem.....very easy to come down with a bad case of LBA.

And the bodies too.
My last run I had a Gx85, Em10ii, Em1.1 and a G85. All were between $250-450 and super capable.

The E-P5 was my first interest then but I couldn't any of the VFs for a reasonable price.

Have fun Andrew.

One thing I always thought about when coming back to m43 is just getting Panasonic or Olympus 12-35 or 12-40 f/2.8 zoom and the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 zoom. Because I’m not really needing this for mission critical work, I am happy with 2.8 for lower light work and for the small size and weight.

when I had them previously, I really enjoyed what they provided.

today will probably be the first day I can get out and really shoot with the EP5 and see how I get along with it. Indoor dog pics are all fine and good, but not enough to judge my decision on whether it is worth me investing more into.

I have looked hard at the 35-100 2.8, but being retired, I need to resist LBA. I had an adapted Konica 135mm that was razor sharp when I nailed the focus, but I just wasn't very good at doing that consistently. Right now I don't have an m4/3 telephoto.

The 35-100mm 2.8 is one of the last lenses that still tempt me every once in a while.

I have too many overlapping zooms in that focal range already though (m43 is a dream system for anyone who prefers zooms) and - not living in the US anymore - it's harder to find good bargains (which is both good and bad :) )

OK, so I got out today. I masked up and the wife and I went mural hunting.

First impression...I remember why I loved the Olympus m43 cameras SO MUCH.
The quick shooting experience, the snappy AF....and I LOVE what I'm seeing so far in that 16mp sensor. I do still love the images I got from the PEN-F...but I find some kind of magic in that 16mp variety.

I like the E-P5 a lot. I shot a few images with just the rear LCD...and it is not for me. Glad I got the VF-3....however.....

The VF-3 is not my favorite EVF. What I noticed is that the colors on the LCD are muted. Maybe its because I'm spoiled by the ones on the Nikon Z6 and the X100V. Even with that being said, I can get all the shooting data I need. The big thing I want in an EVF is the clipping warnings I get, and the VF-3 worked fine there. It also allowed me to ensure that I get the proper focus. Not a big issue with the current subjects I was shooting (still murals, after all). The sun was very direction (I was shooting around 5-630pm) so having the EVF did exactly what I wanted it to do.
With the EVF attached, I was still able to get the EP5, VF-3, and P12-32 in to a coat pocket without issue.

The P12-32 did very well on the EP5. I did notice a bit of aperture chatter...but I expected it.

A few of my favorites from today:
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180009.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180015.jpg
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180018.jpg
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180020.jpg
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180031.jpg
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180050.jpg
04-18-2020_EP5_streetart_P4180067.jpg

Back