I'm thinking about buying a Yeti

What, one of these??

Yeti.jpg

or one of these?

skoda-yeti.jpg

:D

Did you see the test on Top Gear a few weeks ago? JC raved about it, he loved it and it does indeed look like a great car. Do you 'need' 4 wheel drive? Would be handy in the snow! Do you get much snow in Bordeaux? :D

The one he tested was the "top of the range" 170bhp 4x4 diesel with all the bits - about Euros 30,000 in France and maybe £26k in the UK - but you get "everything" for that including leather heated and electric seats plus a fancy GPS as well as the clever 4WD stuff

Prices start at about Euros 20,000 out here for the mid spec, (which is not bad), 110bhp diesel 2WD

The new 1.2 TSI petrol 105bhp engine is supposed to be v good - but somehow 1.2 in a car like that sounds a little under powered

or should I buy a KIA Ceed with the 7 year guarantee, (my wife says no no no)

snow - most of the time we live in "the country" and the roads leave a lot to be desired - surface wise

(I have driven SAABs - the 9 5 Estates for years .......... but they are no longer and to re register my current 175bhp 9 5 diesel, here in France is expensive as well as being RHD)

(for youse "colonials" - please note us Brits and other Europeans pay 20% sales tax, (called VAT/TVA), plus a "carbon tax" in France)

I'm trying to get a "deal" out of these "French car sales lot" - but they just speak too fast

I think I'll get the middle specification 2WD, 110bhp 2.0TDi, (Diesel), climate, cloth seats and no GPS - but it still has quite a good specification - and good mpg/ kilometres per litre

As long as it has a CD player all is good!:D

Sounds like a good spec, post pics when you get it. Oh and for the record there is about 14% markup on new cars so take about 14% off the RRP add a few hundred euro for pre sales test/road tax etc and you have their profit margin!

It might be of interest to you to buy the car in you Belgium or Denmark, and import to France.
It may save you a couple of thousands. If I were you I would check.

You don't need built-in GPS, just buy TomTom which you can take with you from car to car.

If you don't drive a lot, I would go for the 1.2 fuel engine (my opinion).

We once owned a Mitsubishi Colt with 1200 cc engine (fuel), we visited Germany and Switzerland (Saas Fee, Saas Grund) with it, no any problem in / over the mountains, no problems driving Autobahn.

Good luck with your choice mate.

the salesman is trying - he has just offered me a 10% discount on list price for a 1.2 TSi engined yeti in the colour that I want, (a kind of mid grey metallic)

Reading about the 105ps 1.2 TSI VW engine - there are lots of good reports and it is Euros 3,000 cheaper than the 110bhp diesel engine

obviously mpg is not as good but you can buy a lot of fuel with the saving

I recently spent an inordinate amount of time trying to buy a car... Yes, I said "trying". Eventually I did make a good deal, and I have no doubt that you will, as well, Bill. Keep up the good actuarial work and bargaining!:D How's the warranty?

BB - warranty - only 2 years in France

I am familar with car sales dealerships - I used to "own" part of one until last year - (but that was in the UK not in La Belle)

I'd go for the Yeti. It is good to know your car can go a little further out the road. You may never need it, but it is good to know it's there :)

All being well the "Snow Monster" (SM as they are known on some enthusiasts forums) - should arrive in about 15 days time

I managed to find the spec that I wanted in dealer stock in Strasbourg - otherwise it would have been a two months minimum wait

Gone for the 140bhp 4WD Diesel in Metallic Steel Grey, (or Gris Platine as the frogs call it)

Looking for a muddy field so that I can pretend to be an "off roader"

I'll post a photo when I get it

Congratulations on you new arrival!! I have seen a few Yeti's here in the UK and they do look good and they look capable of doing more than the weekly shop at Super U !!

Back