I'm thinking of starting GAS-aholics anonymous

A GAS support group is good. It's hard to see all the new gear coming out or hear/see the wonderful things someone is doing with their different gear and not want to at least try those things out. My collecting was a matter of collecting old antique cameras, I mean they aren't Leica's.. the most expensive have been a couple hundred but the majority of my film cameras are under 20$ with the majority being 15$ and under. Still.. like anyone else I see things and want to try them [Ahh if only I was known enough that the mfg's wanted my critiques!] but in the end I don't necessarily need them all. Shh.. did I say that? Yes I think so because what was it yesterday that I said I don't have GAS and yet today I shopped?! See.. they are so pretty prettyyyy.. So YES I am up for a GAS support group - I am also with Brian about hacking what you have ;)

I don't know what to say....... I'm terribly indecisive at the best of times. I can't even decide WHICH camera to sell of the 5 I have on the go at the moment much less which one I'd like to "acquire". I'm still not sure about the m4/3rds. I have the EP3 and the PL25mm but I can't say that I'm blown away with it. I much prefer the Leica X1 and the Pentax K5. I've never really got along too well with Fuji X100 either...... and so it goes! Would it be a good idea to sell some stuff and hope that the Fuji is the answer, I just don't know. I have to photograph my daughter's wedding in May and I'd need to have time to familiarise myself with another system so unless it starts to ship soon and people start posting pics then I may have to pass.

Would it be a good idea to sell some stuff and hope that the Fuji is the answer, I just don't know.

I think if you sell things to fund your next purchase it's probably not so bad as constant outright spending. It shows some thought. Particularly if you really aren't happy with what you have. Maybe the only better way of testing is to rent before you decide to buy. Rent the newer cameras or lenses and see if you really like them. Then you wouldn't go the route of buying and selling months later and lose cash you could use on what you want. When you acquire so much that you really don't use most of it anymore and yet you refuse to part with it while you buy more.. maybe that is more of a problem. And if you don't care maybe it's not a problem?

In comparison I still find my M43 images lacking. I keep trying to like the system, but falter. I plan to list my E-P3 this weekend; I'll hold on to the other lenses just in case the OM-D turns out to be a real step up. But for the most part I'm giving up on M43. And I'm almost to the point of selling my Olympus DSLR.

Renting is a great idea to quell GAS! I recently rented the Sony NEX 5n along with the 24mm Zeiss lens and I quickly realized that it is not the camera for me. Lenses are a great thing to rent because you can try different ones and different kinds and experiment, maybe even spark a new creative direction.

Compact cameras present a bigger problem to the GAS-aholic compared to DSLRs because their development curve is steeper and none of the compact cameras systems are quite as mature. Upgrading cameras will probably get you more bang for your buck in the compact world. For instance, I can look at files from my old Canon 350D (circa 2005) and still be impressed, and I have zero inclination to upgrade my most recent DSLR (Canon 50D, circa 2008). In comparison, just about any compact camera I use or have used feels like it needs just that little extra bit of development, or that extra lens or feature for me to be as happy with it as I am with a DSLR.

I don't know what to say....... I'm terribly indecisive at the best of times. I can't even decide WHICH camera to sell of the 5 I have on the go at the moment much less which one I'd like to "acquire". I'm still not sure about the m4/3rds. I have the EP3 and the PL25mm but I can't say that I'm blown away with it. I much prefer the Leica X1 and the Pentax K5. I've never really got along too well with Fuji X100 either...... and so it goes! Would it be a good idea to sell some stuff and hope that the Fuji is the answer, I just don't know. I have to photograph my daughter's wedding in May and I'd need to have time to familiarise myself with another system so unless it starts to ship soon and people start posting pics then I may have to pass.

Christilou, I have, for the record, photographed a lot of weddings. Of what you have the K5 would be a fine camera for that purpose, with one of your smaller cameras as backup and for some quick grab shots.

There is nothing wrong with GAS as long as you can afford it, but at the same time changing whole system just because of some small feature set change can be foolish. Upgrading to the latest P&S is no big deal because one can always give last years model away to some friend or family member and the costs are minimal. Owning multiple cameras can be fun as long as they do different things, if they don't one will just sit. This is true with most anything Ikow pople with one guitar and I know others with 25, it all depends on what is important to you. A few years ago I got into collecting custom Japanese kitchen knives, I know I have way more knives than I need(3 or 4 are all that anyone really needs) but I love using different ones for each of their intended purposes.
View attachment 48682

In comparison I still find my M43 images lacking. I keep trying to like the system, but falter. I plan to list my E-P3 this weekend; I'll hold on to the other lenses just in case the OM-D turns out to be a real step up. But for the most part I'm giving up on M43. And I'm almost to the point of selling my Olympus DSLR.

Renting is a great idea to quell GAS! I recently rented the Sony NEX 5n along with the 24mm Zeiss lens and I quickly realized that it is not the camera for me. Lenses are a great thing to rent because you can try different ones and different kinds and experiment, maybe even spark a new creative direction.

Andrew, if m43 isn't doing it and, like you mentioned, you don't see anything else, then what are you shooting with?

This is one reason I'm shooting the EPM1. It's certainly affordable and portable, outweighing some of the sensor issues. But what are you shooting with in the meantime?

one other point, we seem to feel that GAS is something to do with the digital camera age but since I started looking at vintage 35s form the 40s-60s, I am completely amazed at how many different camera makers there were.

Andrew, if m43 isn't doing it and, like you mentioned, you don't see anything else, then what are you shooting with?

I'm primarily shooting with the Nikon V1. I'm super happy with it. I'm shooting far more family snaps and less serious stuff (lack of time). It focuses fast and accurately, meters very well, has great color, captures great movies, has a great EVF, and is small and light (I have the two kit zooms). For my current purposes it works really well. Between the V1 and the EP3 it's a wash between all of the pros and cons of each. But I find the V1 to be faster and more convenient to use (built-in EVF) and I'm really like what it does in RAW.

But for more serious work I use the Ricoh GXR, primarily with the 50mm and Mount units. When I get a few moments to go take pictures those are what I use. And on walks I take the Ricoh GRD4. The siren song of the X Pro 1 is calling me too because I like the lens selection and built-in EVF, but I may resist.

Back