I'm thinking of starting GAS-aholics anonymous

As much as I love that knife block, I'd need to get a couple good knives first. Heck, even ONE good one would be great for starters. THEN I'll get KBAS. I imagine BB went scrambling off to Google KBAS...... I wonder what turned up?

I almost succumbed to KBAS (or at least the knives on it) at one point in my life. But I resisted it, and have been using the same set of Wusthoffs since 1999. I prefer German over Japanese. A red dot thing. ;)

I used Wusthoffs in the past, and still keep some in my "travel kit" but once I started down the road of Japanese knives there was no turning back, I have a few commercial ones like Shuns but soon moved one to both boutique factory ones and hand made customs by old artisan that sadly will not be doing this craft much longer. While I will admit the Germans will do the job they just do not cut like, or hold an edge like or use the exotic steels like or look any where as cool as either the western or traditional style Japanese knives
Western style: Hattori KD Gyuto
View attachment 48695
Traditional style: Nenohi Ao-ko Highest Kasumi Kiritsuke
View attachment 48696

DSC00036.JPG

I've had this one for over 35 years. Mora camera in DC rebuilt it to perfection, and I had it converted for an F36 motor drive.

I have used and owned every Nikon from the F on to the F4 before we switched to Canon, now I still own my original Nikon F with a few lenses and just recently picked some Nikon rangefinders 2 SPs and a S2 to fool around with some film occasionally
I think my F should be about 35 to 38 years old

I have most of them from the Nikon M (no sync) up through the Nikon F3AF (got it cheap) and two of the last batch of F3HP's. Never picked up the "Big ones" for film. I do NOT have an S3M or Nikon I. Some of them- dumb luck, like a Nikon M sync for $30. If anyone wonders into an antique shop with $15 Leicas and $30 Nikon RF's, that's not GAS that is opportunity.

nikons2_ad.jpg

I ended up with 5 Nikon S2's... This one is from the first batch. One of them came with an early Aluminum 5cm f1.4 lens, only 300 of them made.

dumb luck bidding during the Superbowl one year.

I modified one of the Nikon S2's to focus correctly with Zeiss lenses made for the Contax. Moved the helical out on the camera body, calibrated the RF to the new setup.

My 40th Birthday present to myself about 15 years ago. and the Kodak DC50 was used to take this image a long time ago. 320K pixels.

I think my wife picked "Nicole" for our daughter after seeing "Nikon" pointed at her all of the time. Subliminal.

So...

Everyone that does not have any desire to go out and buy a camera at this point has successfully survived GAS attack training.

I'm more the Darth Vader type when it comes to GAS-aholics.

Or the BORG.

can't make up my mind.

"We have encountered Camera Species 1138. It's essence will become part of the collection. Resistance is Futile".

I used Wusthoffs in the past, and still keep some in my "travel kit" but once I started down the road of Japanese knives there was no turning back, I have a few commercial ones like Shuns but soon moved one to both boutique factory ones and hand made customs by old artisan that sadly will not be doing this craft much longer. While I will admit the Germans will do the job they just do not cut like, or hold an edge like or use the exotic steels like or look any where as cool as either the western or traditional style Japanese knives.

Darn you Bob!!! Now I'm going to have to start looking at knives. It'll eat into my camera budget!

Those two knives sure look pretty cool, especially the first one!

Do you sharpen them yourself? If so, how do you do it?

Back