Image editing/processing using an iPad

:2thumbs: So now you have to promise to keep us (me) posted because eventually I am going to buy one and want to know how to use the darn thing.:D

I have downloaded Snapseed, and the Photoshop App. Of the two, Snapseed is more what I was looking for. I will wait awhile before paying money for an editing program.

My family got me the iPad for me six months ago. I've only recently purchased the camera kit and started using the iPad for photo management. I still have a lot to learn; but, since the iPad, I haven't used the family laptop for anything. I'm still enthralled with the Apple. If I were to spec my own, I probably would get one with more memory than the base 16 GB.

If I were to spec my own, I probably would get one with more memory than the base 16 GB.

I have a first generation 64 GB. Between music and photos, I'm constantly near the memory limit and have lots of crashes when too many apps are open. I need to develop more discipline around periodically uploading the photos to my desktop...

I have a first generation 64 GB. Between music and photos, I'm constantly near the memory limit and have lots of crashes when too many apps are open. I need to develop more discipline around periodically uploading the photos to my desktop...

I started using home computers with a Commodore 64 back in the 80's. that unit forced memory discipline at the most basic level. I just deleted all of the music from the iPod (I also have an iPod touch for that use). So at the moment, I have about 7 GB free. Once I start using the new Pentax K-01 I would like to start saving jpeg+RAW. I'm sure that will challenge my memory management discipline.

This is one of the first images from my new K-01 and the 40 mm kit lens. I adjusted the contrast and saturation a bit using Snapseed.

Attachments

• image-3219164820.jpg
    image-3219164820.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 183
I added a frame to the previous photo. Back in my darkroom days, a border was the result of holding the paper in the enlarger. I never thought of the frame as adding to the image.

Attachments

• image-2967772164.jpg
    image-2967772164.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 177
OK, you all... I'm like The Boy Who Cried Wolf when it comes to the iPad, I know.:blush: How many years have I been saying "I'm really thinking about..."? But I'm getting really close this time.

So how much storage does one need and can one back up one's iPad to an external hard drive? Dumb question, I'm sure. Heck, if I ever got around to printing the darn pictures I really cared about I wouldn't care about backing them up!:doh:

So what do you think? Storage size...and let's say we'd like to watch some streaming videos, as well. When I finally do this I'm going for the Wifi plus version...at least I won't have to pay for the 3G/4G except for monthly if I decide I need it.

Over the years I've been so impressed by the post processing that some of our members have done via their iPads and I do find I'm becoming much more interested in simplicity. At least at this moment.:D

OK, you all... I'm like The Boy Who Cried Wolf when it comes to the iPad, I know.:blush: How many years have I been saying "I'm really thinking about..."? But I'm getting really close this time.

So how much storage does one need and can one back up one's iPad to an external hard drive? Dumb question, I'm sure. Heck, if I ever got around to printing the darn pictures I really cared about I wouldn't care about backing them up!:doh:

So what do you think? Storage size...and let's say we'd like to watch some streaming videos, as well. When I finally do this I'm going for the Wifi plus version...at least I won't have to pay for the 3G/4G except for monthly if I decide I need it.

Over the years I've been so impressed by the post processing that some of our members have done via their iPads and I do find I'm becoming much more interested in simplicity. At least at this moment.:D

I chose to go with 16GB, even though I fully intended to use it as a photo processing thing. What I usually do, though, is download not direct to iPad, but to my computer (a mac mini) and I have photostream turned on, so the photos are stored in the cloud. That means I have access to the photos wherever I am, and I only download to the iPad that which I need/want at the time. If you are using a PC, you wont be able to stream from there, which is a bit of a bummer, but its all tied into the Apple apps and iCloud. If you have a mac, and use iPhoto or Aperture, you're set... and thats probably why I wont go Lightroom again... photostream has become essential to me.

If I was going to make a recommendation... and if you intend doing most of your editing on the iPad... I would say without hesitation, get the biggest available, and thats 128GB at the moment. Do get iCloud and activate photostream, because that at least will get you some cloud storage even if you cant access it on your PC... it will be available to your iOS devices. Unless you *must* have integrated 3G/4G, don't bother with anything more than the wifi model. You can get a separate wifi gadget and use as you need to, without a commitment to any plans, if you go prepaid. the Wifi model is less expensive.

Hope this makes sense...

I've changed my editing apps a bit... I like to be able to easily crop and resize, for Flickr (I still dont upload full size anywhere) and so I tend to use Adobe Photoshop Touch for that. It also does the usual levels and curves which are staples for me, and layers, which arent. Its also available on Android

Someone mentioned Photogene in another iPad app thread so I took another look. It too has a lot of incredibly useful tools so I paid up and got Pro via in-app purchase. I find now it has taken the place of Filterstorm, which by itself is also a most excellent app. I'm using Snapseed less than I ever did, but still do, on occasion (btw that is now available on Android as well). I have a truckload on board my iPad... but these are the ones I mostly use.

hope this helps someone :)

Back