Image loading speeds

And I was just browsing some of my favorite threads and ran across the egregiously slow loader in the Sigma DP thread here Sigma - Sigma DP Series Image Thread. I have a DSL connection (not a speed demon or anything, but not a super slow one either).....it took a full minute to display two images (when usually a photo heavy thread entire page will load in 5-10 seconds)...

So what is the solution to this? I'm not familiar with photobucket, but do they not offer a way to share a smaller file size?

I have just timed the download of these two images at 357 seconds (three hundred and fifty seven seconds), so a totally intolerable situation that rules out posting to, or looking at this thread, until this page becomes history, and indeed any other downloads from that source will cause me to stop using that thread altogether.

Barrie

Interesting!! The plot thickens - I don't recall having any issues with that photo before but now it took me 16 seconds and then turned into a big black "box" with a weird little addition of a square on the upper right corner. Very strange indeed!

P.S. Tried it again - 20 seconds, same black box at the end.

hmm it's not impossibly slow for me (about 15secs) but I'm lukcy enough to have a pretty fast connection.

having said that it is absurdly large an image to link to, at 18MB and 5280x3520px, and so presumably not only generates overhead on the download but also on the rerendering to the smaller display size.

I have just timed the download of these two images at 357 seconds (three hundred and fifty seven seconds), so a totally intolerable situation that rules out posting to, or looking at this thread, until this page becomes history, and indeed any other downloads from that source will cause me to stop using that thread altogether.

Barrie

I can confirm the same issue with these two images. In fact i gave up before they totally loaded ?

Just tried again. Same thing. Creeping slowly down the screen.

Whoops !

Just caught up with this post and it looks like i'm the cause of this mayhem - not sure how though ?
Iv'e been using the free edition of Photobucket for many years without any serious problems.
I have this very simple agreement with Photobucket.
I upload a detailed sharp and contrasty file to the Bucket.
Bucket totally transforms my file into an unrecognizable soft gooey out of focus mush.
I upload the dodgy looking mess of an image to a forum - and that's that.
Bucket warns me that any large file will be automatically reduced - that's fair enough because it's free.
However last month I acquired an old DP2 and maybe the files are bigger than my Samsung EX1, but both
this site and Photobucket apparently re size and this is the first time a problem has arisen.
All raw images were taken with the same camera on the same day and converted to jpegs , but the second post ( Bronze fist and bronze girl ) were
posted a day later than my original Beaulieu Spring Autojumble post.
On both occasions I checked ' preview post ' and the images downloaded quickly ( my computer is pretty slow ) so I
pressed ' submit reply ' - - - - - -
This afternoon I downloaded the thread on an Android KitKat 4.4 tablet and they did take a few seconds to settle down. I can only assume some sort
of Bucket glitch as my upload option setting is ticked at 1024 - 768.
Can anyone confirm if the Beaulieu images ( Sigma DP thread ) from the previous day are just as slow ?
Anyhow, to save an International computer meltdown Iv'e deleted the troublesome files. Apologies for all the problems.
Richard

Aha! Richard, perhaps PhotoBucket is the true culprit? Not sure exactly which photo you're asking about on the DP thread - can you give us a link (click on the number of the post in that thread to get the correct url)? Or maybe someone else who knows exactly what you mean will answer first.

Love your description of Photobucket.:D

The Beaulieu images you refer to from the previous day load for me at a rate I have become accustomed to, so in other words they appear to be causing no problem.

Thank you for deleting the problematic images which for some of us had effectively closed this thread to us.

Barrie

BB. The link is

Sigma - Sigma DP Series Image Thread

Barrie.
I will experiment with downsizing the images before posting here in the future , and I might try some other hosting sites as Bucket now really doesn't do
any justice to the Foveon images. This image was transferred directly from my PC to a gallery on my tablet. Then to Photobucket and then to the thread.
When I view the image in my tablets gallery, the colour is correct and saturated giving the image a creamy but sharp Kodachrome slide look . The image truly POPS off the screen in 3D.
If I zoom in on the right side of the headlight I can very clearly see the name of the Italian lens supplier in large script CARELLO.
When zoomed and viewed on the thread via Photobucket I can't even see CARRELO inscribed on the glass at all ! It looks like it's been smeared with vaseline.
I would upgrade to Photobucket PRO but poor reports for this option are putting me off.

I hope this file loads OK but it I will remove it if causes another problem.

Richard

View attachment 91840

Back