Help Image "pop-out"

Mrs B

Regular
Missing the mu-43 function allowing you to click on an image and it opening in a 'pop-out' which is resized to my screen. Some image sizes are just too big to see, and I don't really want to right click and 'open image in a new tab' - any ideas???

Missing the mu-43 function allowing you to click on an image and it opening in a 'pop-out' which is resized to my screen. Some image sizes are just too big to see, and I don't really want to right click and 'open image in a new tab' - any ideas???
I don't know if there're any technical difficulties in it, but you can always create a request in the Announcements and Feedback forum - @Kevin is bound to see it there (or he might just pick up on his tag here, depending on how busy he is).

I sometimes run into the issue you describe with vertically oriented images, which exceed the screen height.

This site works that way sometimes too, but I haven't figured out exactly when an image will do that and when it won't.

Truth be told I never knew the pop-up existed until just now, nice feature! 😅 I tried it on a bunch of images and it seems to work well for me (Windows / Chrome). It's just flickr-hosted images (and probably other externally hosted images too) that open in a new tab on left-mouse clicking them, but that makes sense.

Hmm.... Maybe I'm interpreting this thread wrong but the modal pop-up should happen whenever you click on an image if the image is bigger than your current screen size. Or are we talking about something else? 🤔
Here's a thread that offers a good example of this behavior:

Digital Darkroom Derby #028

Most of the images in this thread allow me to "pop-out" the image, except the ones in posts #6 & #7. I can't tell what's different about those two images. The behavior doesn't change based on the size of the browser window.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing this behavior in both Chrome [Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (arm64)] and Firefox [98.0.2 (64-bit)] on MacOS 12.3.

- K

Here's a thread that offers a good example of this behavior:

Digital Darkroom Derby #028

Most of the images in this thread allow me to "pop-out" the image, except the ones in posts #6 & #7. I can't tell what's different about those two images. The behavior doesn't change based on the size of the browser window.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing this behavior in both Chrome [Version 99.0.4844.83 (Official Build) (arm64)] and Firefox [98.0.2 (64-bit)] on MacOS 12.3.

- K
I think it is exactly what Kevin said: if the uploaded size fits within your window, then it won't "pop-out" (there is no need for it to do so), but if the uploaded size is larger so it doesn't fit, then, clicking on it will allow you to see it full size as uploaded.

I think it is exactly what Kevin said: if the uploaded size fits within your window, then it won't "pop-out" (there is no need for it to do so), but if the uploaded size is larger so it doesn't fit, then, clicking on it will allow you to see it full size as uploaded.
But, as I noted previously, even if I resize my browser window to make it as small as possible (which doesn't allow me to see ANY of the images in this thread in full), I get the same behavior — all of the images in the thread pop-out, except for those in posts #6 & #7. There's something about those two images that function differently than all the rest.

Same thing if I maximize the browser window. Even images I can see in full within the browser window still "pop-out" when I click on them, except for the same two outliers I mentioned.

- K

Last edited:
But, as I noted previously, even if I resize my browser window to make it as small as possible (which doesn't allow me to see ANY of the images in this thread in full), I get the same behavior — all of the images in the thread pop-out, except for those in posts #6 & #7. There's something about those two images that function differently than all the rest.

Same thing if I maximize the browser window. Even images I can see in full within the browser window still "pop-out" when I click on them, except for the same two outliers I mentioned.

- K
I take that back-- sorry: I should have tried before replying. You are right, #6 & #7 don't pop up no matter how small I make my window and the others do pop up no matter how large I make it (Wondows 10, Firefox).

Back