Image quality or ease of use?

The M9 replaces my 5D2 and three primes. The GH-2 will replace 2x 50D's and zooms. I've just traded a 20kg kit for 6KG kit, with no loss in productivity.

I've got less system flexibility than I've had in years, yet I've never felt this free, photographically.

Gordon

Sounds like heaven, Gordon. I don't work as a photographer (used to in film days, for a while) and have no desire to. Lately I have been really seriously considering why I want to have a dslr at all, and I cannot think of any good reason. the K-5 and pentax primes are just lovely... but I haven't been using them. I went out the other morning in a fit of OMG I've got all this good gear and am not using it, but I think I have actually stopped enjoying shooting with it. That's pretty sad, given that I only bought it in January (the lenses I've had for longer, with my K200D which was sold this past weekend, just with the kit and one other zoom). The truth of the matter is that the K200 excited me more. Go figure. But lately, the camera thats always with me, and that I enjoy most of all I have is the G11, and I have a lusting for an X100 and/or a m4/3 with a 20mm lens... I think I'm over the dslr stage and I feel GUILTY about having spent all that money!! (My Mum must be rolling in her grave, she always thought I was a bit of a wastrel)

I've been following your adventures with this and have enjoyed your pieces very much. I was reminded of you and the posts you have written when I was out recently. A place I was visiting is set up for weddings and I watched a wedding photographer and videographer walking around with the bride and groom. Both had unbelievably heavy bags over their shoulders and you could see the sag in both their shoulders and their expressions.

Like you I've gradually been cutting my gear down and as of this week I'm finally going to be without a (D)SLR for the first time in my (serious) photographic life. It does feel like a new beginning and just the thought of it seems to energise me. I wish you luck with the new approach, though I'm sure you don't need it. They don't hire you for your gear after all.

By the way, do you know this guy? Brett (no last name) Leica Photographer extraordinaire.
Brett, Leica M Photographer, Part 1 « The Leica Camera
Brett: Leica M Photographer; Part 2 « The Leica Camera

Interesting that you (David) just inspired (well, more like the final straw but inspired is nicer) me to sell all my DSLR gear and buy an M9 and order a GH2 as my "AF system". For my uses, most camera meet image quality requirements. But I've become far more picky about quality of use requirements. For me, if it's on a shelf it has poor image quality because it's not making images.

I used m4/3 for anything I could, personal and work. It was liberating.

The M9 replaces my 5D2 and three primes. The GH-2 will replace 2x 50D's and zooms. I've just traded a 20kg kit for 6KG kit, with no loss in productivity.

I've got less system flexibility than I've had in years, yet I've never felt this free, photographically.

Gordon

Gordon, how do you find the control interface and handling of the GH2 compared to the Canons, especially in your line of work where I'd imagine you'd need to be able to adjust settings very quickly?

I just picked up a refurb GH1 (same, same, but different) and while it's still very early days the camera and I aren't talking the same language yet and I'm to trying to adapt to the shrink-fit size.

Don't Know. I don't have it yet.... I have, for the first time in years, taken a holiday, so I have 8 weeks till I need it. ETA is 4 weeks. I'll let you know.... If it doesn't arrive then I'll pick up a D7000. It's been a few years since I used a Nikon DSLR. Could be fun. I've played with a GH1 so I have an idea about what I'm in for.

But. I've often shared and changed cameras. Canons have been a constant, but there have been others, Hassleblads, Mamyia's, Olympus, Nikon. I've always been fortunate that I don't have issues moving back and forward between cameras with different controls and menus. Even on the same shoot. With the AF system, the main thing will be control of the flash. On the Olympus guns I can do that very quickly on the flash itself. Then all I really "need" is access to the exposure compensation dial and ISO controls. But I'll let you know when it arrives.

Having said that, I'll be darned if I don't still look for the lens release on the M9 on the wrong side at the moment ;-).

Gordon

I've been following your adventures with this and have enjoyed your pieces very much. I was reminded of you and the posts you have written when I was out recently. A place I was visiting is set up for weddings and I watched a wedding photographer and videographer walking around with the bride and groom. Both had unbelievably heavy bags over their shoulders and you could see the sag in both their shoulders and their expressions.

Like you I've gradually been cutting my gear down and as of this week I'm finally going to be without a (D)SLR for the first time in my (serious) photographic life. It does feel like a new beginning and just the thought of it seems to energise me. I wish you luck with the new approach, though I'm sure you don't need it. They don't hire you for your gear after all.

By the way, do you know this guy? Brett (no last name) Leica Photographer extraordinaire.
Brett, Leica M Photographer, Part 1 « The Leica Camera
Brett: Leica M Photographer; Part 2 « The Leica Camera

I've seen his site. Wonderful and inspiring. Between bybrett and Otto Schulze (Wow!) I've really got something to aim for.

Gordon

Sounds like heaven, Gordon. I don't work as a photographer (used to in film days, for a while) and have no desire to. Lately I have been really seriously considering why I want to have a dslr at all, and I cannot think of any good reason. the K-5 and pentax primes are just lovely... but I haven't been using them. I went out the other morning in a fit of OMG I've got all this good gear and am not using it, but I think I have actually stopped enjoying shooting with it. That's pretty sad, given that I only bought it in January (the lenses I've had for longer, with my K200D which was sold this past weekend, just with the kit and one other zoom). The truth of the matter is that the K200 excited me more. Go figure. But lately, the camera thats always with me, and that I enjoy most of all I have is the G11, and I have a lusting for an X100 and/or a m4/3 with a 20mm lens... I think I'm over the dslr stage and I feel GUILTY about having spent all that money!! (My Mum must be rolling in her grave, she always thought I was a bit of a wastrel)

Don't feel guilty. The decisions you made then are what's giving you the answers you have now. I've bought many more than one camera purely based on gear lust. Some have worked so very well. My beloved Xpan, a beat up Cambo 4x5. They were part of who I was and how I saw the world at the time I had them. Some have not. A Mamyia 7II, Fuji 617 and a 1Dsmk2. But I can't regret them, because I didn't know they wouldn't work for me before I got them. For me part of the fun about photography is the passion for particular gear. How it feels. Is it tactile and alive in my hands? Is it an extension of me and how I see? And as I change so do the cameras and lenses that allow me to express my self. I get them, do my best to master them and then set a new challenge. I need to learn, to grow. So if you can afford that X100, just go get it. Leave no regrets.

Gordon

I too have paired down, giving to friends my Pentax DSLR kit and my Fuji Bridge camera. I do still have Fuji compact but I use all Oly all the time now.
The e510 lives with the 25mm almost welded on and the E-PL1 is the same with the 17mm. In restriction there can be found a curious freedom...

Don't Know. I don't have it yet.... I have, for the first time in years, taken a holiday, so I have 8 weeks till I need it. ETA is 4 weeks. I'll let you know.... If it doesn't arrive then I'll pick up a D7000. It's been a few years since I used a Nikon DSLR. Could be fun. I've played with a GH1 so I have an idea about what I'm in for.

But. I've often shared and changed cameras. Canons have been a constant, but there have been others, Hassleblads, Mamyia's, Olympus, Nikon. I've always been fortunate that I don't have issues moving back and forward between cameras with different controls and menus. Even on the same shoot. With the AF system, the main thing will be control of the flash. On the Olympus guns I can do that very quickly on the flash itself. Then all I really "need" is access to the exposure compensation dial and ISO controls. But I'll let you know when it arrives.

Having said that, I'll be darned if I don't still look for the lens release on the M9 on the wrong side at the moment ;-).

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. I didn't realise you didn't have your GH2 yet. I ask because a few weeks ago I was coerced into a shooting the (shock, horror!) wedding of an old school friend of mine. For a brief moment I did have the rather stupid idea of using my E-P1 and the rag-tag collection of lenses to go with it, but in the end I was eternally grateful to have my 50D as a primary and a 500D as a secondary camera with the useful assortment of Canon lenses. That stuff just works.

As I mentioned I'm still getting to grips (literally) with the GH1. It certainly feels more like a "serious" camera than my Olympus but I think I may still be too much of a Canon fanboy to give up that gear just yet.

Could I ask whether you're planning to work in natural light exclusively, or are you using any flash? I've used flash with my Panasonics but never with a Leica.

Back