Windows Image sizes, scaling, and Windows 11

bdbits

Veteran
Name
Bob Davis
In recent years, the pictures people post to web communities have been getting bigger. Which in my opinion is generally a good thing, as I prefer to see larger images in general. But... most of the web hosting software being used for these sites does not make any attempt to adjust size to the display space available. With the myriad device sizes and resolutions available, I feel this has become a problem that needs to be fixed. I know enough CSS to be dangerous, but it seems to me a lot of it could be resolved with some judicious CSS. I realize some of the community hosting solutions (perhaps this one) do not always give much opportunity for the site admins to inject CSS. And perhaps some community members would object to a site limiting the display size. Yet to indiscriminately post larger than common viewport sizes and forcing users to scroll is even less desirable, from an artist presentation control point of view.

I have been trying to adjust this for myself through some kind of local override. These days I normally use Firefox on Windows 11 on a 2560x1440 laptop display. But experimenting with Edge (and thus likely Chrome) and on Windows 10 seems to have the same issues. You can adjust scaling in the browser but this also affects the text. Constantly zooming in/out is annoying and the browser tries to reflow the content for the changed zoom factor, which changes your position on the page and you end up viewing earlier/later positions in the thread. You can adjust scaling in the Windows, but that is global, also makes the images larger/smaller, and has side effects beyond the browser. There is a separate text size adjustment in Windows 11, but I have played with that and it introduces other complications and does not actually enable a solution. I tried playing with some Firefox about:config options but that did not have satisfactory results either.

If there is a solution I have overlooked, please share. I have no idea if this occurs on Linux, and even less on iOS but I am unlikely to switch to another OS anyway. My guess is that there is no solution I can implement for myself, so perhaps this post is just me venting some frustration.

I agree that with modern CSS large pictures and their presentation can be made easy.

But do you have a problem with a specific web site, or are you trying to build your own?

I have a somewhat unconventional sized browser window, at around 1200x2000 pixels. :)

Cameraderie/Xenforo does alright. RangefinderForums does not. Some tumblr blogs misbehave more. I have enabled "text only zoom" in firefox and leave display scaling at 100%.

Just click on the image, and then click on the image displayed with a magnifying glass. Of course this will depend on the size of the originally uploaded image.

e.g. the image in this post will display larger than the 1920x1200 display I am currently using with Windows 10 Pro:

This is the image in that post. It is 2757x2109 pixels at full size on my web site.

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2017-_7061767_eW.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BTW, I have recently started using "Brave" browser on all my devices, due to security and advertisements on the other three browsers that I generally use: Firefox, Chrome and Edge. The latter two are definitely insecure.

I agree that with modern CSS large pictures and their presentation can be made easy.

But do you have a problem with a specific web site, or are you trying to build your own?

I have a somewhat unconventional sized browser window, at around 1200x2000 pixels. :)

Cameraderie/Xenforo does alright. RangefinderForums does not. Some tumblr blogs misbehave more. I have enabled "text only zoom" in firefox and leave display scaling at 100%.

I don't do web sites anymore but used to know HTML, CSS, javascript, etc. If I was building a web site there would be no problem. :D

Cameraderie is pretty good about it. Other places are not. For example fredmiranda.com does not seem to control the size at all and just lets large pics overflow. A surprising number of the otherwise very competent photographers there either don't know or don't care that not everyone has a 4k monitor and post full-size images. You can click on the picture and get an overlay that shrinks the image, but to me that is disruptive for browsing through a thread as it separates the flow of discussion and related images (and messes with the overall layout). It drives me nuts, but maybe it's just me.

Just click on the image, and then click on the image displayed with a magnifying glass. Of course this will depend on the size of the originally uploaded image.

e.g. the image in this post will display larger than the 1920x1200 display I am currently using with Windows 10 Pro:

This is the image in that post. It is 2757x2109 pixels at full size on my web site.

View attachment 317510
BTW, I have recently started using "Brave" browser on all my devices, due to security and advertisements on the other three browsers that I generally use: Firefox, Chrome and Edge. The latter two are definitely insecure.

Yeah I know about clicking and getting the lightbox, but I find that disruptive when browsing a thread. As far as browsers, I've tried different things with Edge as well as Firefox and there are some differences but still no solution. I've played with Brave, and Vivaldi and the Tor browser, but did not try those and I think they use the Chromium engine anyway (maybe not Tor) so likely the same as Edge.

I guess I will need to learn to live with it until the sites out there get up to snuff and utilize more modern and sensible markup. :)

Cameraderie is pretty good about it. Other places are not. For example fredmiranda.com does not seem to control the size at all and just lets large pics overflow. A surprising number of the otherwise very competent photographers there either don't know or don't care that not everyone has a 4k monitor and post full-size images. You can click on the picture and get an overlay that shrinks the image, but to me that is disruptive for browsing through a thread as it separates the flow of discussion and related images (and messes with the overall layout). It drives me nuts, but maybe it's just me.
On problematic sites you can use a browser extension such as Stylize or TamperMonkey or something of that sort. Using them you can inject your own CSS and javascript to sites you visit. For example, force images to be your window's width maximum.

Back