Images from a Medieval Festival

Luckypenguin

Hall of Famer
Dec 24, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Nic
For the second year in a row I attended the local annual Medieval Festival. This is quite a cool event where the re-enactors really get into character and it's a great place to take a camera or two.

This year I was armed with the Olympus E-M5 and Leica 25/1.4 and occasionally the Panasonic 14-140mm, plus an Olympus E-PM1 and Olympus 45/1.8 which are both new to me. The E-M5 and 25/1.4 is now my standard street setup and the E-PM1 and 45/1.8 were for more portrait style and longer shots. I have had my eye on the 45/1.8 for a while but the E-PM1 wasn't an entirely planned purchase. I ended up being very impressed with both. I love the tiny size and minimal interface of the E-PM1 and even with no grip it balances very well with the 45mm. It was also responsive and fast to focus, as are the E-M5 and 25/1.4. At an event like this I didn't want to be waiting for a camera to respond.

The day was mostly overcast with some rain which makes the colours in some images a bit more subdued than they might otherwise have been at an event like this. Some images below with the camera and lens combinations noted.

E-M5 + Leica DG 25mm f1.4

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

E-M5 + Lumix G 14-140mm f4-5.8

15)

16)

E-PM1 + M Zuiko 45mm f1.8

17)

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)

24)

25)

26)

27)

28)

29)

30)

31)

32)

33)

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
Dec 6, 2011
I can appreciate these having done the Ren faire this weekend. I took some photos, not a ton, will be going back in a couple weeks and then I will take the dslr.

Luckypenguin

Hall of Famer
Dec 24, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Nic
Thanks everyone. It was indeed a lot of fun.

Very nice shots! Did you boost clarity and/or contrast in PP?
Thanks Julien. These shots coincided with my first use of Lightroom 4.1 which I have downloaded as a trial and will most certainly purchase based on how I've liked it so far. I didn't do much in the way of specific contrast or tone curve adjustments, but I was using the clarity slider to varying degrees. In terms of colours these are some of the least processed images I have done in a while. I just kept to some vibrance/saturation adjustments as opposed to any filters (e.g. Color Efex). I was quite happy with how the images from the little E-PM1 came up in comparison to the E-M5.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom