Images have no "shape" with the x100?

winginkris

Veteran
While most photos I take with this awesome camera are outstanding(assuming I've done everything right), some of the pics can look like the subjects have been photoshopped, or cut and pasted in place. It's as though there's no "shape" to the image. I know it's not just my camera as I've seen this in other posted pics. Look at the seagull, it's looks as if it had been cut out of a magazine and pasted in place. My settings are as follows, if I have something set that might be causing this, I'd appreciate some advice. The only adjustment made to this photo was a small amount fill light using Aperture, but it looks the same without the adjustment.
Thanks and Happy New Year!
iso auto
RAW
Dynamic Range Auto
nd filter off or on (usually off)
noise red high
color, sharpness, highlight tone, shadow tone mid or standard.

Attachments

• Gull.jpg
    Gull.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 234
Hey there, winginkris, I'm going to move this thread into the Image Processing forum because I think you might get more helpful responses.

Although I have been using the X100 since last May, I don't use Aperture (I do use Lightroom). I do shoot RAW and convert to DNG, but all my settings are on standard...and I haven't touched the Dynamic Range on the X100.

Do you have any other examples - it might be helpful for people to see some different lighting conditions at play?

I sort of see what you mean about your picture, though I wouldn't go as far as saying the gull looks pasted in.

I am hoping that some of the X100 shooters may have more experience using Dynamic Range options that could possibly have to do with the impressions you're getting as you look at your pictures. I can't say that I've experienced the same thing with my own.

Have you used a camera with a larger sensor before? I don't know if it is the images lacking shape so to speak, but just the subject separation you get from a larger sensor (and specifically the longer focal lengths for a given angle-of-view. Most of all I think the difference in exposure between the seagull and the background is contributing to the "pasted-in" effect.

Thanks for your reply

Here's a few more examples. Again, the gull(not a good photo, just an example) looks "pasted" in.

Some of the rocks in the other photo also lack "shape". This doesn't happen often, but again I've seen this from time to time in other photos on this forum and on others.

Attachments

• Little Corona.jpg
    Little Corona.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Gull2.jpg
    Gull2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 237
Yes, before the x100 i've shooting with a Nikon d300 which has the same size sensor. I've never noticed this with that camera. Again, I only notice this every so often. It's probably me just being too picky, but if it's a setting problem I'd like to correct it. It's really not a big deal as most images don't have this problem.

Was the gull shot taken using a fill-in flash? It's the difference in exposure and the colour of the light that seems to give the image a sense of the unreal. I don't have an X100 however so I don't know much about how it might compare to other similar cameras.

What settings are you using for contrast and edge sharpness?

You might try reducing the contrast for your JPEG conversions, eith in camera or out of the camera. I found that worked for my Nikon D1 and have been setting cameras that way ever since.

I think what you are seeing in the gull picture is the 3D effect of the gull, as being very close with no moderate background, but very distinct far background, combined with medium wide angle lens. The viewing device at left has some of the same effect. It is a very effective tech for outdoor/landscape photography. I like the pic. but I would probably crop the left half out and make it portrait format, to focus more on the gull and 3D effect.

Thanks for your advice, Steve. I only posted the photo as an example, I have no intent of processing it any further as it's not one of my favorites. I've never seen this effect with any other camera that I've used.

If you use fill flash, you really should use gels to match the color temperature of your flash to that of the ambient light.

Can that be simulated in post-processing with selection of the object(s) affected by fill flash and adding a Hue-Saturation adjustment layer? Using gels may not always be practical when an opportunistic shot presents itself...

Can that be simulated in post-processing with selection of the object(s) affected by fill flash and adding a Hue-Saturation adjustment layer? Using gels may not always be practical when an opportunistic shot presents itself...

I think it's possible, but I personally prefer to get everything (mostly) right during the shooting in order to avoid excessive and time-consuming PP.

Back