Images of the Olympus E-M5 (OM-D) Leaked

Seems that all three pictures, silver, black and black with grip are based on the exact same original picture photo-shopped different ways. Wonder which one is the closest to the actual thing?

-Thomas

Thanks to David over at Soundimageplus, we can see the different configurations of the OM-D - which to me says there is more to this launch than just another body with an internal EVF - this is a new system being born!
%u002529MD.jpg

The widely rumored price is US $1100 for body only and $1300 with the new 12-50 WR zoom. Looks like good competion for Sony NEX and Fuji as a camera - and an entry point into a system with more than just a few lenses.

The silver version reminds me very much of the Film OMD which I like, I have noticed that Fuji are bringing out an edited X100 in Black in March, which I don't like, is there a growing trend by camera manufactures to release some of their top/new cameras in Black now.
I will not even think about buying the new Olympus, I prefer something smaller and lighter...my E-PM1. in White, which is the new Black.....

I'm not sure what you mean, the vast majority of serious digital camera were made in black before the X100 came out. The X100 started the current trend to release them in chrome or silver. I personally prefer my chrome X100 to the black version, yet I find this black E-M5 "cleaner" than the silver one, so...I guess that if they're going to release future camera in both silver and black it's fine with me.

Just out of curiosity: What's the point of the grip? I mean is it really just a grip or does it add some functionality to the cam (except 'gripability' of course :D).

I mean why have both a grip and a battery grip when the whole functionality could have been archived with just the latter?

Cheers,
buebo

Just out of curiosity: What's the point of the grip? I mean is it really just a grip or does it add some functionality to the cam (except 'gripability' of course :D).

I mean why have both a grip and a battery grip when the whole functionality could have been archived with just the latter?

Cheers,
buebo

Because the battery grip adds a fair amount of bulk and weight to a camera that not everyone (in fact, very FEW users) will want. Whenever Olympus or any other maker releases a camera larger than an iPhone withOUT a grip, they tend to get tons of complaints and they keep Richard Franiac's business humming along, so I think the "gripability" function is actually quite important and a fairly big deal. A VERY big deal if they'd left if off. Gripability makes a big difference. I had an EP3 for a month or so last summer - it came with a grip in the box but not attached. WIthout any grip, I thought the handling of that camera was quite poor. WIth the grip in the box, it was improved but only very slightly. And Olympus had another larger grip that they sell for the EP3 and I got one of those and the camera's handling was more or less transformed from good to wonderful. Grips matter and it looks like they're starting with a fairly substantial one on this camera, which I'm all in favor of.

-Ray

After having "dosed off" during the latest "gear" podcast - I'm not sure what the experts said about this camera, but it certainly looks like a SLR OM

In regards to the grips, I have no need for a battery grip. It takes me 5 seconds to change a battery. It also makes the camera look more "pro" which is not always a feature that works to your advantage. The regular grip though (for me) is key. Have you ever tried the bigger telephoto lenses on these compacts that don't have a big proper grip? NOT fun.

In the good old days the battery grip was actually a motor drive. I think this one is being made more to hark back to the look of old OM cameras rather than being necessary. The other grip is a very practical addition though.

What I haven't seen anywhere yet is the max shutter speed. IF this is a "pro" camera and styled like a DSLR, will it have 1/8000 or the usual 1/4000?

Back