Images revisited with different processing

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Following some comments and critique on recent images posted I've revisited some of them and post the new and original interpretations here for any comment people might like to make.

These are the new, and smoother (non technical term :)) images

1050539-b_w_asp_.jpg

1050556-b_w_asp_.jpg

1090357-b_w_asp_.jpg

1090365-b_w_asp_.jpg

compared to the original rougher? images

1050539.jpg

1050556-b_w.jpg

1090357-b_w.jpg

1090365-b_w.jpg

Note that in the second image (man and boy) I think heat haze off the boiler and boiler backhead accounts for some of the shimmering effect seen in the background, particularly behind the flywheel.

Barrie

I generally like them a little grittier, but I think the first two benefit from a smoother look. The last work well either way, but I definitely prefer the plough horse grittier and the one above it I like 'em both about equal.

Smoother 1& 2 for me too

I meant to say the Gent in the first looks as if he has had his fingers crushed a bit

Aesthetics are interesting things.
Looking at #1 again, if I had to pick between the two versions of the whole image, I'd prefer the "smoother" one; On the other hand, if a 3/4 crop were made (lopping off the bottom ¼), I'd prefer the "coarse" version.

Did you establish what had produced the "mosaic" effect, Barrie? I'd never seen anything remotely like it before ...

.... Did you establish what had produced the "mosaic" effect, Barrie? I'd never seen anything remotely like it before ...

The short answer is no. I do recall something similar on an image I made many moons ago with my 15mm Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar lens on a GF1, the results of which are probably buried deep in the mu-43 site. From memory I think I concluded that it was function of the particular image editor used and that it didn't occur with a different editor.

My reprocessing was actually done with AfterShotPro, the replacement for Bibble Pro 5 that I used to use extensively, rather than Photo Ninja that I used for the gritter images. The absolute minimum of adjustment was done to the raw file, basically a slight adjustment of the exposure value and some fill light followed by a save to a 16 bit tiff. After adjustment of the tiff in SEP2 it was flattened, reduced to a grayscale image and some sharpening applied in CS2 using unsharp mask applied in small incremental stages, not all at once. What I didn't do that I used to do was to apply the sharpening the luminence channel only in lab mode.

I feel a revision of my techniques is on the cards with a return to the basic processes that I used to use in earlier days.

Barrie

I definitely like the first one better with the new treatment. I think I prefer all of the others with the grittier original processing, with the possible exception of the third, where the guy's face is a little too dark in the original. But if that level was raised a bit, I think I'd like the original version of that one too. Probably explains something about my own processing too....

-Ray

Back