Sony Imaging Resource Sony RX10 Review -- First Impressions

Very good results from new Sony jpg engine and the lens is good too:
NOTE: These images are best quality JPEGs straight out of the camera, at default settings including noise reduction and using the camera's actual base ISO

It might be interesting to compare the edited raws... IQ was showing in the Sony RX10 sample images also when I compared to RX100 II samples:
Not Found

I doubt any smaller sensor will match this esp the images look comparable to Canon/m43 photos and dynamic range beats Canon's old sensors... You can check the portrait shots on the Sony link...

I'm in serious danger of becoming a Sony f-boy (I think if I spell it out, the forum software will kill it, even though I'm being really positive here). I absolutely love the RX1, I'm impressed if not interested (near term anyway) in the A7 and A7r, and I love the sensor in the RX100 even if I didn't like the camera overall. I was not a fan of the UI on the Nex or the "too much in a small package" RX100, but am totally into the UI of the RX1 and what I've seen of the A7 and this RX10. This RX10 looks like a simply stunning camera if you're in the market for something of it's ilk. I'm not at all, but I predict once I get one in my hands I'm gonna have to keep reminding myself of all of the reasons it's not for me. Because mating that sensor with this lens and the various features and UI of the camera, I'm gonna really like it a lot. If I was just a LITTLE bit less into some pretty particular things in photography, this could easily be an all-in-one for just about anyone slightly less obsessive. My head doesn't work well with zooms - the options screw up my ability to see. But for those who do and who are just shy of fully obsessive about IQ, specific shooting features (in my case, a good auto ISO implementation and some sort of distance scale for MF), and ultra long or ultra wide focal lengths, what COULDN'T you do really really well with this camera???

-Ray

Absolutely. But I'm just hoping for something "roughly competitive" from the Olympus Stylus 1 (at half the price). The RX10 is just a bit too expensive for me right now.

Imaging resource also has a hands on with that, and I'm seriously considering that as a replacement for both my XZ-1 and Panny FZ100
Olympus Stylus 1 Review

The Sony is just far too steep in price for me. Even if I had the dosh, I couldn't justify it these days.

Sony is expensive as they keep the sensor for themselves so far, no competition. Quesabesde has their review for Olympus 1 w/ good samples/raw:
Google Translate

Imaging resource also has a hands on with that, and I'm seriously considering that as a replacement for both my XZ-1 and Panny FZ100
Olympus Stylus 1 Review

The Sony is just far too steep in price for me. Even if I had the dosh, I couldn't justify it these days.

Olympus Stylus 1 Review

As good as the measurables are on the newer small-sensor cameras, I don't know if I could ever go back. They just get too crunchy for me while processing.

The RX10's outta my price range, too. But I do think an argument can be made that it's worth it.

If I didn't have a DSLR, and if I didn't like shooting beyond 200mm and if I didn't love shooting macro and if I didn't need to shoot over ISO 1600 on a pretty regular basis, I just might buy this. It's amazingly good at what it does.

If I didn't have a DSLR, and if I didn't like shooting beyond 200mm and if I didn't love shooting macro and if I didn't need to shoot over ISO 1600 on a pretty regular basis, I just might buy this. It's amazingly good at what it does.

Slap a good diopter lens on the RX10 and I bet it will do a pretty good job with macro.

I'm with you, Luke. I have two SLRs (film), a ZLR (Olympus fixed lens 35-180 35mm film camera), and I never use any of them. I frequently shoot at 600mm, and I am mightily impressed with what DXO Optics 9 can do to improve raw files shot on small sensor cameras at 1600 and above. Sure, it's totally obvious that bigger sensors deliver more of everything in terms of photographic goodies: sensitivity, less noise, more dynamic range, and so forth.

I guess the real question is: how much better is the potential new camera over the old camera? Does the improvement justify the expense?

Here's an idea: we should have, periodically, Serious Compacts Conventions. Gather at a spot with our cameras, our laptops with processing software, and then we can do massive comparisons by shooting at known targets, processing the files, and comparing the results.

Whaddya think?

Cheers, Jock

Back