Fuji In Camera JPEG settings

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
Over on a general thread about set up preferences, we touched on the jpegs of this camera. Rich asked the following:

Has anyone figured out the highlight tone.....shadow tone settings? Like what do they do? I am thinking that if one sets the highlight tone to "soft"....it will reduce the clipping....maybe? :confused:

R

And since he didn't get a response, I thought I'd use his question as a jumping off point. I know nothing about in camera settings for things like highlights, shadows, etc. for jpeg output. We all know this camera produces really nice jpegs...so for those who are experimenting or have found out what works for you, please consider posting your observations here - with pictures, if you've got 'em.

I'm very interested in this and I have a good friend who isn't a member yet who I know will be on a need to know basis once the United Parcel Service man arrives.

Great Idea for a thread - I'll do a little experimentation - and I'm sure others will. One thing I'm sure of is that it's worth shooting jpg (I never ever believed I'd hear myself saying that!).
Suddenly the Raw button which seemed so pointless now seems a good idea (for those dodgy exposure moments when you aren't likely to get another chance.

all the best
Jono

HI There
I'm afraid that my observations have been pretty simple . .... . . . .

shoot RAW

There are circumstances when the jpgs are real winners, but I have a couple of problems I'm finding it hard to deal with:

1. sky colour - it's too cyan - very like Canon colours I guess, but neither real nor attractive
2. blown highlights. I'm finding that I have to expose too far to the left to ensure that I don't get blown highlights - of course, the DNG gives you much more leeway, so it isn't so much of an issue.

I just spent half an hour shooting the different film settings in various circumstances, and in every shot the RAW file won out.
I'm finding it tough to make the RAW files as sharp as the jpgs when things are good, but not impossible.

As an Aperture user it adds a layer of complication (Aperture doesn't support the X100 files yet) but Adobe DNG converter works very well, and it's only a small extra step.

Adobe DNG converter 6.4 for mac

Clearly that doesn't end this discussion - I'm sure it's going to be a really valuable discussion . . . . but I guess I won't be contributing too much!

all the best

I agree, that for me the RAW files win out thus far, Jono. However, lots of folks love the fact that the jpegs are so good and I can see for some things that it might be simpler to shoot jpeg...even for those of us who enjoy tweaking things.... For example, I'm going to be down at our daughter's college this weekend and probably snapping away at her and her pals...and maybe for those shots, it might be worth while only shooting jpegs...

For me it takes some time to get used to any new camera, and then if I don't use a certain control...I sometimes forget how to and have to read up in the manual.:redface:

I agree, that for me the RAW files win out thus far, Jono. However, lots of folks love the fact that the jpegs are so good and I can see for some things that it might be simpler to shoot jpeg...even for those of us who enjoy tweaking things.... For example, I'm going to be down at our daughter's college this weekend and probably snapping away at her and her pals...and maybe for those shots, it might be worth while only shooting jpegs...
Trouble is that you'll get that once in a lifetime snap of your daughter pouring the ice from her drink down some guy's trousers . . . . . . . . . and it'll be over-exposed!

For me it takes some time to get used to any new camera, and then if I don't use a certain control...I sometimes forget how to and have to read up in the manual.:redface:
You must be younger than me - I forget it straight away . . . and then I can't remember where the manual is!

:D True, RAW it will be!!!!

Right now my manual is right by my computer. If I am going on a real away from home journey, it will be in a bag...which bag??:eek: If one has a "smart phone" one can download the pdf file... Don told me that, but I have yet to do it. I forget how he told me to do it, come to think of it. That last part is definitely true!

Back