Panasonic In depth review of the LF1

I must avert my eyes having just fallen another's siren song.

Seriously, Olivier - many thanks. I'd been eyeing this camera or the Leica version (for the LR5) for a while, and will be heading over to your review shortly!

I've read the manual, read the review here, and experimented with my LF1, but still don't know: Can I do manual focus with the magnified image on the LCD, and still have the camera use my default ISO 80 setting? The camera wants to set that itself for some reason.

Dale-> Well yeah, set your camera at ISO80, Manual Focus then twist the lens (or the circle D-pad on the back) and immediately the screen will be magnified.

Dale-> Well yeah, set your camera at ISO80, Manual Focus then twist the lens (or the circle D-pad on the back) and immediately the screen will be magnified.

Thanks - for some reason it's behaving better after I set the default for the lens ring and use that to focus. Good tip.

Great review, now to make up my mind . . the LF1 or the LX7.

It's really a tough choice. I have both, so my choice of which to take along with the big fixed-lens camera when I go out isn't easy either. The LF1 has the long zoom, but the LX7 has the better lens at the short distances, and of course is twice the size and weight.

Is the weight difference that huge? I can see visually the size difference. I would use either of these as my primary vacation camera (day trips I use my G3), but walking around say Austin or New York I could grow to love either of these. Plus the prices are so similar if you add in the cost of the viewfinder for the LX7. Tough choice indeed. That 1.4 lens is calling to me though.

Is the weight difference that huge? I can see visually the size difference. I would use either of these as my primary vacation camera (day trips I use my G3), but walking around say Austin or New York I could grow to love either of these. Plus the prices are so similar if you add in the cost of the viewfinder for the LX7. Tough choice indeed. That 1.4 lens is calling to me though.

The weight difference is about double, but since these are small cameras, it may or may not be important. In a shirt pocket (with protective wrap of course) you would notice a huge difference. In small handbags or shoulder bags it could make a difference, but the larger bags wouldn't likely notice. When I bought my Panasonic LX3 and a couple years later the LX7, I saw that Leica (who also OEM these cameras from Panasonic) made a small leather case with shoulder strap for these cameras, and I bought both cases for my Panasonic cameras. The cases are very pricy, but the cameras carry hands-free that way, and the cases are so well designed that you can carry them even to dress-up events, where most camera cases would be a faux pas.

Great review!! Thanks for posting.

I'll be taking mine on holiday to Florida in a few days so hoping it will perform well in the nice Florida light. Expect loads of images when I get back!!

It's really a tough choice. I have both, so my choice of which to take along with the big fixed-lens camera when I go out isn't easy either. The LF1 has the long zoom, but the LX7 has the better lens at the short distances, and of course is twice the size and weight.

So Dale, now that you've had the LF1 for another month or so, what do you think? Do you pick up the LF1 or LX7 more often?

So Dale, now that you've had the LF1 for another month or so, what do you think? Do you pick up the LF1 or LX7 more often?

I've gotten a good idea of the limitations of the small cameras and the big Leica M that I have, so mostly during the work week I'll carry both small cameras on short trips, then on the weekend, I'll have the large camera and one of the small ones. I'm more optimistic about the LF1 now, even though it isn't the best choice for low light shooting. So LF1 for daytime, Leica M for black & white, and if I go somewhere at night I'll generally take both small cameras and leave the M.

Back