Feedback Incorrect Keyword Replacements

Name
Matt
[ Moderator Note from Kevin: Thread split so the SIJ thread doesn't get polluted :) ]

P.S. @Kevin The fact that "film" always gets converted to a link isn't guaranteed to be helpful - see above (and right here, most probably) for "Fujifilm" ... I'd suggest something like
Code:
:film:
for the link, not the word proper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I was hoping nobody noticed that yet. It's a known issue that was reported to the vendor but I'll bump it up with them.

The automatic keyword replacements is, unfortunately, a necessary evil in the fight with Google. Internal linking is ranked and the goal is to get some keywords noticed but not others. EG: We want to be noticed for "film" but not necessarily the word "Home" which appears on every single page.

The shortcut of :something: is usually reserved for manual smilies. In this case, :film: could be used for an emoji/smiley (which is a good idea actually, I'll add one this weekend :D) while the problem you've noticed is an automatic process.

You've got me wondering though if the software can handle both "film" and "fujifilm" as replacement or if it'll get confused. Off the labs to experiment!

hashtags and such have never really made sense to me so far.
Hashtags would be #something like used on Twitter and Facebook. The software doesn't yet support being able to type something like #fuzzydog in a post and then having it automatically added as a tag (it's on my Wish List) but I suspect it'll happen eventually as so many people are used to that concept on social media platforms.

In short...
  • Tags = The manually entered tags that are associated to a thread in general. When creating a thread they can be manually entered or, in some cases, we have it set to try & automatically generate some based on the title being entered.
  • Hashtags = Inline tags like #fuzzydog, not (yet?) supported.
  • Keywords = Words that are linked, either internally or externally, to topic relevant content. In the battle with Google having specific niche keywords linked internally is a good thing.
  • Smilies = Graphics, usually smiley faces or similar, that are entered using a short like :ninja: which results in :ninja:. These are hosted on the web site and can be changed as wanted.
  • Emoji = Device (phone, tablet, desktop) symbols that can be entered and displayed but are interpreted by each device uniquely. For example, entering a smiley face from an iPhone will show up on an Android device as well but those two smiley faces could appear totally different to each user. Emojipedia is a great place for examples: ☺ White Smiling Face Emoji

Back