Industrial Photography

Alexandria
IMG_2238.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_2236.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a forge that is a few blocks from my house. I went for a walk one day with my old Nikomat equipped with standard f2 50mm, and in the summer they have the building open because it gets hot in there of course in the summer months. This forge is right on a street practically so when I was walking by I just stepped in the door and took a couple of shots. The forge is very old, probably well over 100 years, and has been a part of my life since I was born, I can remember being in my parent's automobile driving past it back in the early 1960s. At one point I knew a member of the family who owned it as we had some common interests in riding bicycles, motorcycles etc. but unfortunately he got pancreatic cancer and is gone.

Forge 1.jpg

It's interesting as a local to see how visitors find places like that so distinctive that, like yourself, they can recognise it straight away from a quick snapshot like that. Legend has it that in the industrial age, boats queued all the way to Kent to berth there 100+ years ago.

I've been to conferences at the Excel center. It's a very distinctive display.

Back