Industrial Photography

It helps to not have to work in the mud, John.
IMG_0552 (Large).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The far right panel is actually a door which opens to a 'dirty' shop area on that side of this shop area. The door to this area has been slid to the left and sits next to another shop so it's not in the way when open. Much more functional than the original 'building' it replaced. The main structure of this shop is actually made from the frame structure pieces of the old shop building.

@AlwaysOnAuto AoA, I've done plenty of mechanical work in the dirt, in the middle of the night, in the rain and sleet. Sometimes, all at the same time.

It's f'ugly ...

A lovely smooth concrete floor would have been very welcome! However, we were living in the 20x20x9 foot steel shed at the time.

I truly appreciate the difference it makes.

52933689917_35c0a96f94_h.jpg

Canning Contour Channel 001 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Canning Contour Channel was originally a 16-kilometre-long series of water channels connected by pipe sections over the gullies. Built between 1935-37 for the Metropolitan Water Supply, Sewerage and Drainage Board, Canning Contour Channel has a number of associated works such as the stilling chambers (1937) and the Gosnells Screens (1937). It is the only contour channel built in Western Australia for the transport of potable water.

Water sourced from the Canning Dam, Canning Contour Channel provided the main supply of water to the metropolitan area from 1940 to 1975, when it was superseded by the Canning Tunnel.

52934710980_cf8940169b_h.jpg

Canning Contour Channel 002 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Canning Contour Channel was originally a 16-kilometre-long series of water channels connected by pipe sections over the gullies. Built between 1935-37 for the Metropolitan Water Supply, Sewerage and Drainage Board, Canning Contour Channel has a number of associated works such as the stilling chambers (1937) and the Gosnells Screens (1937). It is the only contour channel built in Western Australia for the transport of potable water.

Water sourced from the Canning Dam, Canning Contour Channel provided the main supply of water to the metropolitan area from 1940 to 1975, when it was superseded by the Canning Tunnel.

View attachment 391391
Siphon at Turner Road by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I had wondered how the gravity-fed, Canning Contour Channel was able to get the water to flow into and out of valleys, such as this Canning River valley. Well, the mystery has been solved. These pipes, which I thought were simple pipes where in fact siphons. I love learning!
The Romans might not have invented siphons, but they sure knew how to use them, Andrew. Over 2,000 years ago!

Back