Industrial Photography

The color is amazing!

Thanks! It's something fun. I've shot some urbex on real velvia slide film but its a challenge for sure. Much nicer if I can tune the X100 a bit and get something usable.

Edit: Here's a couple of real velvia scans showing that purple shadowing and exaggerated blues you can get. This is Velvia 100 (not 100F which is more muted).

AmericanViscose2.jpg

AmericanViscose3.jpg

The following images were shot at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

Don't know what's this, some kind of electric equipment.

4977785592_13967ba0de_b.jpg

SAM_1187 by Pavel Urusov, on Flickr

And this is the unfinished cooling tower for the fifth reactor block.

4977778894_d463d7464b_b.jpg

SAM_1178 by Pavel Urusov, on Flickr

4977170293_1f335f7bb9_b.jpg

SAM_1181 by Pavel Urusov, on Flickr

The construction of the fifth block was almost completed at the time of explosion, the only thing missing was the reactor core. The heavy duty crane (dark brown in the photo), still sitting on top of the building, was ready for the installation...

4977793072_06fdce3ed3_b.jpg

SAM_1196 by Pavel Urusov, on Flickr

Okay, had some more fun with the X100 today -- but it really is a pain for long exposure HDR I must say. To get the shutter speed into the ranges I needed I had to up the ISO to 400 so I can't say this is a great camera for camera-controlled long exposures but bulb mode would be fine with it with a release -- which I didn't have with me.

All that being said, I shot with the Velvia simulation and the first two shots are Velvia HDR from the OOC jpgs. Tweaked the HDR results as usual but I didn't need to do much with the color levels, lol. The second shot has very little color which the Velvia sim helped bring out. Both shots would have been too wide a dynamic range for a single shot, especially the first one which was quite extreme.

The final shot is a single exposure Velvia JPG. All of these were processed in Lightroom.

9472980429_26cca30f3e_b.jpg

Where Robots Go To Die by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9475770146_7424d44b0e_b.jpg

No Joy in the Joystick by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9475769974_186526e537_b.jpg

Wall-X by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Okay, had some more fun with the X100 today -- but it really is a pain for long exposure HDR I must say. To get the shutter speed into the ranges I needed I had to up the ISO to 400 so I can't say this is a great camera for camera-controlled long exposures but bulb mode would be fine with it with a release -- which I didn't have with me.

All that being said, I shot with the Velvia simulation and the first two shots are Velvia HDR from the OOC jpgs. Tweaked the HDR results as usual but I didn't need to do much with the color levels, lol. The second shot has very little color which the Velvia sim helped bring out. Both shots would have been too wide a dynamic range for a single shot, especially the first one which was quite extreme.

OH those are nice! Very rough looking...very grungy. The colors are great also.

OH those are nice! Very rough looking...very grungy. The colors are great also.

Thanks! It's a pretty grungy place, lol. The JPG's from the X100 are SO sharp and detailed at lower ISO and it really picks up the detail -- also the directional lighting gives a lot of contrast to surface texture.

Most all of what I've done so far has been at ISO 800 or higher generally.

Here's a 100% crop from the first image which is one of the HDR images.

scarfer-100pct.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's a crop from the single frame image -- just a JPG from the camera tweaked in Lightroom.

scarfer2-100pct.jpg

Here are a couple taken through the window from a moving bus. I think they turned out quite well, considering...

The last steel works in Dortmund closed in 2001. The 'newest' plant was dismantled by 1500 chinese workers and shipped to China. The older plant is partly preserved - as shown here - as an industrial monument, other buildings have been gutted and converted to offices, high-tech companies and the like.

Processed in DxO, converted to sepia.

RHP_2013_08_17_J_rissens_Feier_Dortmund_14_1024px.jpg

RHP_2013_08_17_J_rissens_Feier_Dortmund_13_1024px.jpg

The final shot is a single exposure Velvia JPG. All of these were processed in Lightroom.

I really like the atmosphere you create in these photos!

I think after seeing the amazing imagery in this thread, I'll resurrect it with one of my own, even if it can't hold a candle to the former stuff ... However, this stuff is *really* worth your attention - perhaps it may even be inspirational ...

EM530009.jpg

Again, I really urge you to scroll up and click through the contents in this thread - simply amazing stuff!

M.

Back