Industrial Photography

Good Afternoon,

Testing my new WASP 2040 Pro Delta (Kossel) 3D printer and a new-to-me Olympus E-500 in near mint condition.

Regards,

Edd

K-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
K-1.jpg
K-3.jpg

Good Morning,

Traveling from CT to RI today to receive a motor freight shipment of my new Tormach 770M CNC milling station for my lab at school. These wind generators along the way are just a reminder (at least to me) how far we have come in harnessing the power of the wind. Shot with two "old" Olympus systems that have stood the test of time...:)

Regards,

Edd

WT-1.jpg
WT-2.jpg

Last edited:
^Many feel they ruin landscapes (and admittedly they're nothing like as charismatisch as traditional windmills), but in the right setting they can provide for some very interesting visuals. And it's still better to look at modern windmills than at coal plants...

Below: Duisburg, where the Ruhr river (Germany's industrial heartland) drains into the Rhine (one of Europe's main waterways) has the world's largest inland port. I came across it on foot, which it's obviously not built for, on a long-distance hike. I was happy to see the "end of harbour zone" sign - and promptly took one of my favourite shots of the 6 day hike...
2022_0614_11133600.jpg

Really cool, congrats! At the risk of making myself feel dumb: what was their entry / product / thing they competed with?
Thank you...they had to use a Scorbot ER-4u 5-axis robot (light industrial), a Siemens LOGO PLC, linear slide rail, and a host of materials handling tools (conveyers, feeders, etc.) and software to make an automated workcell to solve a "scenario" that they were given when the contest began (no prior knowledge of the task). A lot of wiring, coding, teaching the robot positions, programming the PLC, and interpreting what the actual problem at hand was. The time frame given was 6 hours, and I was told that some teams quit and walked out after an hour, sad but true. I made sure that the student team I sent was ready for this and they did not disappoint!

Regards,

Edd

Good Morning,

A freight truck brought this new CNC milling machine, a Tormach 770M, to the back door of the lab. Two crates and 37 boxes of parts later, the main milling head is exposed and ready for placement on the stand. I'm bringing in professional millwrights to set up a trolley crane to do the move; the head is over 700 pounds so safety is the key. When completed, it will be 88 inches tall, 56 inches wide and 50 inches deep; a lot of floorspace! I will post photos when finished along with the on-the-fly fabrication of CAD to CAM part flow.

Regards,

Edd

DSC00728.JPG
DSC00729.JPG
DSC00730.JPG
DSC00731.JPG
DSC00732.JPG

Good Morning,

A freight truck brought this new CNC milling machine, a Tormach 770M, to the back door of the lab. Two crates and 37 boxes of parts later, the main milling head is exposed and ready for placement on the stand. I'm bringing in professional millwrights to set up a trolley crane to do the move; the head is over 700 pounds so safety is the key. When completed, it will be 88 inches tall, 56 inches wide and 50 inches deep; a lot of floorspace! I will post photos when finished along with the on-the-fly fabrication of CAD to CAM part flow.

Regards,

Edd
A very nice toy, but it would get more use in my (home) workshop than in my (work) lab. I'd have to do quite a bit of clearing to make room for it, but it would be worth it :)
Something like that in the lab would stop most of the instruments from being usable...

Good Morning,

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 335958View attachment 335959View attachment 335960View attachment 335961View attachment 335962
It looks to me like you get to play with all the really cool toys.
Great job you did with the kids that won that competition mentioned a couple threads up too.

A very nice toy, but it would get more use in my (home) workshop than in my (work) lab. I'd have to do quite a bit of clearing to make room for it, but it would be worth it :)
Something like that in the lab would stop most of the instruments from being usable...
I understand the concern; RFI and EMI issues are "normal" things that I have to contend with. We have prioritize working-shop days as I have CO2 laser cutting/engraving systems, 2D Plasma cutting system and a whole host of workstation computers for design and simulation (LabVIEW, Fusion 360, MATLAB, MultiSim, etc..) which students have to time-share (Gold Teams/Blue Teams) to keep the theory and practical design in balance.

Last edited:
It looks to me like you get to play with all the really cool toys.
Great job you did with the kids that won that competition mentioned a couple threads up too.
I'm fortunate in that way to be able to serve my students. I won a $100K USD competitive grant in May 2022 to help to improve the technology that I immerse the kids into; adaptive control, machine learning, machine vision and so forth. I'm able to leverage many of the declassified technologies that, in a previous life, I was taking from the lab to warfighter use, and so it goes...

I understand the concern; RFI and EMI issues are "normal" things that I have to contend with. We have prioritize working-shop days as I have CO2 laser cutting/engraving systems, 2D Plasma cutting system and a whole host of workstation computers for design and simulation (LabVIEW, Fusion 360, MATLAB, MultiSim, etc..) which students have to time-share (Gold Teams/Blue Teams) to keep the theory and practical design in balance.
In our lab oil fumes, vibrations etc would also be an issue, and perhaps waste metal as well.
The instruments are generally pretty well shielded from RFI, but can have issues with vibration (gave us huge issues at a racing circuit once) we've learnt to ignore a few signals know to come from laboratory solvents. Leaving the fire exit open has shown with increased metals results as well...

Good Afternoon,

My millwrights/riggers made it to the lab this morning and they got the heavy lifting done in a safe and professional manner. Next steps are to get the basic control systems talking to each other and validating the precision (accuracy coupled with repeatability) of each of the 4 axises of motion. Down the road (next week) is the assembly of oil coolant and pneumatic drives, automatic tool changer, and a host of other punch-list items. The final part is the assembly of the chip bins/trays, main housing, and sliding safety doors within the enclosure. Also, I was supposed to receive a custom-order 6-axis MotoMan robot today (~$78,000.00 USD), air
freighted from Japan, but the freight company missed the school receiving deadline (no staff after 2:30 PM). They were supposed to deliver no later than 11:30 AM and I waited with a pallet jack and hydraulic lift until 3:00 PM; this one is on them!

Regards,

Edd

P9210004.jpg
P9210007.jpg
P9210018.jpg
P9210023.jpg
P9210024.jpg
P9210028.jpg

Good Afternoon,

My millwrights/riggers made it to the lab this morning and they got the heavy lifting done in a safe and professional manner. Next steps are to get the basic control systems talking to each other and validating the precision (accuracy coupled with repeatability) of each of the 4 axises of motion. Down the road (next week) is the assembly of oil coolant and pneumatic drives, automatic tool changer, and a host of other punch-list items. The final part is the assembly of the chip bins/trays, main housing, and sliding safety doors within the enclosure. Also, I was supposed to receive a custom-order 6-axis MotoMan robot today (~$78,000.00 USD), air
freighted from Japan, but the freight company missed the school receiving deadline (no staff after 2:30 PM). They were supposed to deliver no later than 11:30 AM and I waited with a pallet jack and hydraulic lift until 3:00 PM; this one is on them!

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 337430View attachment 337431View attachment 337432View attachment 337433View attachment 337434View attachment 337435
I'm really surprised to see that lifting point on the table. I wouldn't have thought the machine was designed to take loads in that direction.

Back