Leica Inexpensive 28?

I guess it depends on what you define as inexpensive.

View attachment 313045

This was $300 some 10 years ago, Nikkor 2.8cm F2.8. I sold the V3 Elmarit-M after getting this one.

View attachment 313046

I don't need better, and it does not get much smaller and compact.

View attachment 313047

View attachment 313048
I did see that Brian, they're not inexpensive now though but interestingly about/ almost the same price as what the Hektor 28mm is being sold for these days. Shallow depth of field is not a priority for me, so the Hektor does look good.

Last edited:
I recently purchased this KMZ (1965) 28mm f6.0 Orion 15 for £149. Photos below.
Other 28’s in my collection: Canon f2.8 ltm (Winogrand), Color-Skopar f3.5 ltm, M- Rokkor f2.8 (white spot free) and the Summicron f2 M ASPH.
L1000293.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1000298.jpg
L1190106.jpg
L1190107.jpg

I recently purchased this KMZ (1965) 28mm f6.0 Orion 15 for £149. Photos below.
Other 28’s in my collection: Canon f2.8 ltm (Winogrand), Color-Skopar f3.5 ltm, M- Rokkor f2.8 (white spot free) and the Summicron f2 M ASPH.View attachment 313099View attachment 313100View attachment 313101View attachment 313102

Looks like a pretty good lens to me. These old Soviet lenses are a refreshing alternative to the current sharper and higher contrast lenses. I have had good luck with the few that I have.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but just recently, I found a lens that really cuts short many other deliberations as to what might be the "best" 28mm for me: the new Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 II. In spite of what I said in my previous post in this thread, I certainly don't regret getting that lens. It's sharp, has pleasing rendering, is amazingly small and a joy to use (I didn't opt for the "classic" version, so it has a superb focusing tab). It may be better at home on bodies with LiveView because of its minimal focus distance of .5m, but it's not too hard to stop oneself to just rack focus when close. I love that lens - it has even superseded my GR III as my "best" 28mm solution. That said, the GR III still is the most convenient superb 28mm "lens" I own ... Anyhow, the Ultron II isn't expensive for what it is!

btw. All this doesn't take away from the merits of my pre-ASPH. Elmarit-M or older Ultron - they're just not such strong performers and somwhat big for what they offer, but only by comparison.

M.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but just recently, I found a lens that really cuts short many other deliberations as to what might be the "best" 28mm for me: the new Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 II. In spite of what I said in my previous post in this thread, I certainly don't regret getting that lens. It's sharp, has pleasing rendering, is amazingly small and a joy to use (I didn't opt for the "classic" version, so it has a superb focusing tab). It may be better at home on bodies with LiveView because of its minimal focus distance of .5m, but it's not too hard to stop oneself to just rack focus when close. I love that lens - it has even superseded my GR III as my "best" 28mm solution. That said, the GR III still is the most convenient superb 28mm "lens" I own ... Anyhow, the Ultron II isn't expensive for what it is!

btw. All this doesn't take away from the merits of my pre-ASPH. Elmarit-M or older Ultron - they're just not such strong performers and somwhat big for what they offer, but only by comparison.

M.
Matt,

I’ve briefly borrowed the Summicron V1 which somehow renders images that are more, for want of a better description, pastel but with, at the same time, excellent micro contrast in combination with a complete ability to handle flaring with no practical need for a hood. All the other 28’s, including the Elmarit ASPH don’t seem to have all of this. This is subjective as always and some people won’t see that but unfortunately I have and it’s not something I can un-see. And you’re right, the Ultron II is superb value with its super size and optics, I’m not sure there such a thing as a “bad” Voigt. What I see of that lens is extreme sharpness, great contrast and colours and (I think) handling of flare, pretty much the complete package. I just wish I hadn’t borrowed that Summicron, that’s all - it’s poisoned me somewhat, meaning an inexpensive 28 is off the table.

After starting this thread, a year ago, I've pretty much been using either my 21/4 or 35/1.7 Voigtlanders. Last week in Memphis for a graduation, I found myself looking for a lens in between again. A couple of times and I could get around it by the two foot zoom but still it left me thinking about 28's again. My previous Canon 28/2.8 was really quite nice in situations like that.

So of course I blew the toy money budget on a Canon 50/1.4 instead :LOL:

Back