News Instagram's new terms of service - your photographs and more (Instagram is owned by Facebook)

Amen, sister! People joke about the old myspace, but has anyone looked at facebook......that look was worn out 2 years ago. It's about 1 step more modern than Craigslist

Craigslist looks like a grade school web page project, when they are learning html.. so sad but yeah that was a good laugh!

But Craigslist is highly functional.

I'm concerned about 3rd parties not putting their own images up but someone else's. What liability do they have for selling or using non authorized images. Didn't Napster get into trouble over this.

Craigslist looks like a grade school web page project, when they are learning html.. so sad but yeah that was a good laugh!

Craigslist is a highly efficient format. There's a reason it's still the way it is. It works. Google has the same philosophy for Google search. Facebook is a nightmare. I hate it. It's too busy. Whenever I'm forced to use it, I get a little headache.

I've thought once about getting on facebook. My better half uses it, and informs me of what is on there if its something she feels I need to know. I've actually considered google+, in part because the format looks better but also because Amin has started a community over there for micro four thirds. Actions like these from the operators of these sites however makes me think twice. I understand that these sites need revenue. I think I'd rather use a pay-for website over something like instagram. I feel the sameway about gmail. Gmail is a requirement for any android device. I rarely use it because I don't want google poking in and using something there. I have a paid for mail address with my ISP that I trust over something like gmail.

I'm a sad little person, I hate what facebook does, I hate the tell everyone what you had for breakfast thing, and yet I am still there. However, not for long. The game I have been playing is in the process of detaching itself from facebook and when that's complete, I'm gone. I periodically delete my posts and comments too, 2 weeks down the track nobody cares about that photo (low res and small) you posted, or anything else for that matter. So my "timeline" remains pretty empty. I have three posts on there right now, all relating to having the irrits about fb and zuckerbergs continuing attempts to force everyone to reveal everything.

Instagram is something I never got into. I did install it at one point but never used it so got rid of it entirely. Very glad I did. When I saw facebook had taken it over, I could see something like the current situation evolving, so was glad not to have become involved.

I dunno, I am getting over this social networking thing altogether, really. run a blog, hang out in forums like this... its enough. I really really don't care that one of my friends got too drunk last friday night and had a dreadful hangover the next day... He wonders why I don't comment on his posts. Gaaahhhhhhhh!!!

... I dunno, i am getting over this social networking thing altogether, really. Run a blog, hang out in forums like this... Its enough. I really really don't care that one of my friends got too drunk last friday night and had a dreadful hangover the next day... He wonders why i don't comment on his posts. Gaaahhhhhhhh!!!

lol, +1.

I have a facebook account, but rarely use it (my kids set it up without my approval). But, the big but, I do find it very useful for keeping up with my daughters. It is nice to see their posts and images of their activities, (fortunately they refrain from posting stuff like, "woke-up", "got out of bed", "dragged a comb across my head".

G

There is a very useful little Android app called something like "scrubber" (yes I know) that erases your Facebook tracks entirely. It is not enough to delete the contents of your own timeline, you also want to get rid of your fingerprints on other peoples. Anyone who has ever befriended you or liked what you have said or reposted it in their own timeline has spread your uniqueness. Your own timeline content deletion doesn't get rid of that. I had a facebook account for about a year then got rid - really got rid, which is not easy. I realised that my true friends don't use or need it, nor do I need it to keep up with them. Above all I hate the stickyness of it and the high handed attitude to privacy.

There is a very useful little Android app called something like "scrubber" (yes I know) that erases your Facebook tracks entirely. It is not enough to delete the contents of your own timeline, you also want to get rid of your fingerprints on other peoples. Anyone who has ever befriended you or liked what you have said or reposted it in their own timeline has spread your uniqueness. Your own timeline content deletion doesn't get rid of that. I had a facebook account for about a year then got rid - really got rid, which is not easy. I realised that my true friends don't use or need it, nor do I need it to keep up with them. Above all I hate the stickyness of it and the high handed attitude to privacy.

I have one called "Exfoliate". I bought a cheap android phone specifically so I could use it. It didnt get rid of everything, I have still had to manually delete a lot of stuff, but it did really well.

lol, +1.

I have a facebook account, but rarely use it (my kids set it up without my approval). But, the big but, I do find it very useful for keeping up with my daughters. It is nice to see their posts and images of their activities, (fortunately they refrain from posting stuff like, "woke-up", "got out of bed", "dragged a comb across my head".

G

and this is why people will stay with it. People post their updates to facebook instead of sending emails with pic attachments if they are at distance, or picking up the phone if they arent. I remain unconvinced that this is actually a good thing.

I shun facebook and any online presence. I hated the fact that someone could google my name and find out all the addresses I ever lived at and all my phone numbers. I hated more that it listed my family members. To me that is more than a privacy issue, it's a safety issue. So it took a while but I sent out cease and desist letters to all the information brokers. Now it's like I don't exist online. Google me and there's not a peep.

They've done an "about face" for now: Instagram Does an About-Face - NYTimes.com and have posted about it here: Updated Terms of Service Based on Your Feedback - Instagram Blog Only time will tell.

BB its not over yet. Zuckerberg has wanted to be able to use people, their information, their posts, and their photographs, pretty much since the beginning. There is always an outcry, he backs off a little but never to the previous point and gains ground with every adjustment of the terms. Thats why I am getting out of FB as soon as I can. I may yet also abandon G+.

BB its not over yet. Zuckerberg has wanted to be able to use people, their information, their posts, and their photographs, pretty much since the beginning. There is always an outcry, he backs off a little but never to the previous point and gains ground with every adjustment of the terms. Thats why I am getting out of FB as soon as I can. I may yet also abandon G+.

+1

I'll have the added advantage of fewer distractions.

and this is why people will stay with it. People post their updates to facebook instead of sending emails with pic attachments if they are at distance, or picking up the phone if they arent. I remain unconvinced that this is actually a good thing.

You're right Sue it is good for keeping up with family, but there are other services out there that seem less invasive.

Back