Interesting and useful tool

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I was wandering the web when I came across ExposurePlot -- a free download available here Vandel.nl the homepage for Wega2 the Image Viewer and Exposureplot the Exif Analyzer utility --

You can run ExposurePlot on your entire pictures library and it will extract the exif data and visually plot the focal length, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed of all your photos and summarize the results.

From it, I found out that I most often shoot at full wide (24mm or 28mm) or full tele (600mm and beyond), ISO 100, f.4 and 1/125th.

I think it is useful in analyzing how you actually shoot in case you are thinking about future equipment needs.

Cheers, Jock

apart from focal length there is an assumption you have personally selected speed, aperture & iso - in my case this is not true in the majority of cases using auto

could be useful though thanks

Fascinating...

Just analysed 23,851 images with exif.

Most used focal lengths (35mm equiv.) #1 50mm (by far) #2 90mm, #3 40mm
Most used iso #1 200 (by far), #2 100 #3 400
Most used aperture #1 f2.8 (by far) #2 f1.4 #3 f4.0

So, by the look of it, my "sweet spot" is using a 50mm at f2.8, 1/60 @ iso 200...

Fascinating...

Just analysed 23,851 images with exif.

Most used focal lengths (35mm equiv.) #1 50mm (by far) #2 90mm, #3 40mm
Most used iso #1 200 (by far), #2 100 #3 400
Most used aperture #1 f2.8 (by far) #2 f1.4 #3 f4.0

So, by the look of it, my "sweet spot" is using a 50mm at f2.8, 1/60 @ iso 200...

Bill,

If you check the "filter" box, you can type in a camera make and model to search by as well.

On my FZ200, I shoot 600mm equivalent (and beyond, with digital zoom; no surprise here, reach is the appeal of this camera), the most, followed by 24mm, but on the Canon G12, I shoot 28mm (the widest), the vast majority of the time and full tele (140mm only rarely).

Cheers, Jock

This is an interesting topic.

I recently conducted a survey of my own shooting style using Lightroom which can filter images by focal length and such.

What most people don't realize is they spend most of their time at the wide end of the zoom range. Using my Powershots as an example, I found 80% of my shots were at 50mm equivalent and below with the highest percentage at the 24-28mm range.

I can't confirm but, I would suspect that most people who say they "need" more reach probably take far fewer shots at the far end then they think. Yet, we spend so much on cameras that have that capability. That's why your standard kit zoom range is 18-55mm because that literally covers most of what most people need most of the time.

I'm impressed by how close I am to the old "holy trinity" of 35-50-90... Must be all those years of using Leicas ;) Seriously, I always said that I "see" the world in 50mm terms, and this proves it quite emphatically.

Jock, I'll have a fiddle with the filters - I love things like this :D

Back