Leica Interesting Article Comparing Top SLR 50s and Leica M Mount 50s at LensRentals.com

I was surprised to see the much better edge performance of the Summicron compared to the Planar ZM. How can the Summicron have identical center and edge sharpness at f/2? Has to be a mistake, no?

The Sonnar has a high degree of field curvature- so it's difficult to measure it's "real world" resolution using flat targets. This is the "plastic" look of the Sonnar.

Brian, based on the information Roger provided, the MTF50 data provided in the tables shouldn't be affected by field curvature. Only the MTF curves shown further down on the page would reflect field curvature.

One point I want to make clear is the testing methods differ – the MTF50 tests are done at ‘best focus for that point’. In other words the bench individually focuses at the center, mid point, and edge to generate the highest possible numbers. With the MTF tests we’re showing here, the bench focuses in the best position for the center of the lens and all other measurements are done at that focus. So field curvature will affect these graphs, but not the MTF50 tests done earlier.

Brian, based on the information Roger provided, the MTF50 data provided in the tables shouldn't be affected by field curvature. Only the MTF curves shown further down on the page would reflect field curvature.

I missed that, makes sense. The older tests done with resolution charts would not do this.

To put in it perspective, at F1.5 the Sonnar resolves 840 lp/image height, 840/24, or 35lp/mm. A good match for the M9 and M8 with the Color array.

Back