Interesting article on the explosion of photography over recent years

"A photograph is no longer predominantly a way of keeping a treasured family memory or even of learning about places or people that we would otherwise not encounter. It is now mainly a chintzy currency in a social interaction and a way of gazing even further into one’s navel."

...yeah

We are very visual creatures, i.e., we would rather see a picture than read a description. The combination of cell phones and the internet has allowed a much higher level of connection through pictures. Just as my email is not meant to be literature, most pictures on facebook are not mean to be "artistic" photography. The article makes good points, but the "how could we ever have let photography fall into the hands of the masses" attitude is pretty clear.

I agreed the internet and websites has a lot to do with it. Recently I was at a corporate gourmet dinner. When the dishes came out. four people got their cell phone out and take photos to put on
their facebook/blog. Also note that photograhers are now able to share more of their photos on
the net. Compare to 20 or 30 years ago. THere was only photographic magazines.

Serious photographers will do what they always have done. More to the point, what should "pro" photographers do? There just may be less work for them. Still, a good wedding photographer with a good portfolio will always be in demand.

Back