News Interesting development in Phone Cameras

JensM

All-Pro
For those so inclined:

Optical 4-9x zoom with OIS

From the ingress:
"LG Innotek is ready to put true optical zoom lenses in the next wave of flagship phones
The camera component supplier has unveiled a telephoto module with real moving optics to cover a 4-9x range — no digital zoom required."

Still, it brings no more tactility, and the sensors are measly sized as per usual. Interesting development step, anyhow.

Personally, I cant really say it stokes my interest in phone photography after having tried it for some years, I concluded that I would carry rather carry a compact than try to wrangle out something halfway decent with the phone.

Yeah, I feel much the same. What makes the smartphone so useful as a portable content consumption and comms device is its slim design and all-encompassing touch screen. But that form factor is really poor for photography. You need somewhere to grip it aside from the edge and you need some controls to deliver the UI that proper photography demands. Bottom line is that a smartphone might take half decent photos, but it's still a disaster so far as the UI is concerned for taking photos.

Back