• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum for photographers and camera enthusiasts!
    If you are looking for critique, tips, advice, buying recommendations, or just want to talk to fellow enthusiasts then join now for free!

Fuji Interesting read about the 35mm 1.4

mike3996

Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Fuji could choose to retain the magic if they made a MK2 but probably it'd mean more girth to house more powerful motors. And if it becomes too girthy, why not go for the upcoming 33/1.0 lens?

I think Fuji would be in a good place to create more magic lenses instead of computer-designed hyper performers, because clinicality of the Fuji lenses was one of the (albeit tiny) reasons why I went with Leica M system instead. Make character and WR the priority, AF speed secondary, and there could be some good times ahead. Certainly the 33/1 should be sexy somehow to really be a good competition methinks...

The difference between 33/1 and 35/1.4 is not that great, in DOF. Not that great at all. If the 33/1 doesn't have character to it, it might be DOA. Or we can alternatively consider the 33/1 as the Mk2 regardless of character if it happens to have faster AF and WR.

Last edited:
The XF35/1.4 is an amazing lens. It most certainly is sharp enough, even wide open. However, equally important is the way it writes an image. I left Canon full size sensor cameras, at least in part, because of the way my images came out on an X Pro1 with the 35/1.4.
It's one of the few autofocus lenses that I still own, Fuji and Leica mount cameras both included.
. . . David

mike3996

Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I'm not a 50 guy but the 35/1.4 is a "must-have" for me, in Fuji system. When I had it, I didn't get to use it much because I vastly preferred 35 mm-eq for everything I did, at the time. But now, I'd be super happy to get shooting portraits with the 35/1.4 in Fuji system. Very happy indeed.

The more I think about it, the more I think the 33mm F1.0 very well may be a version 2 of the 35mm 1.4. Having all the "magic" of the 1.4. With the AF speed and weather sealing people have been asking for. Plus, at 33mm, it will be closer to a true 50mm effective lens. As the 35mm lenses are 52.5mm effective. Not really much of a difference, but the purists out there. Well, everyone knows how the purists can be.

mike3996

Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I think the 33mm F1.0 very well may be a version 2 of the 35mm 1.4.
Yes, I think this is the case. The X system is young yet, it's probably wiser to introduce new/alternative focal lengths and designs rather than redesign not-eigth-year-old designs. Canon doesn't bring out new versions every five years either.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
While not lightening speed, the 35 1.4 focusses pretty quickly on the XH1 and XE3. (I admit I have no idea how it does on C-AF.) It does produce lovely images, however, and if you want AF speed there is the 35 2.0. As has been said, I would rather they leave it alone than "improve" it and ruin the rendering.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom