Fuji Interesting read about the 35mm 1.4

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
Fuji could choose to retain the magic if they made a MK2 but probably it'd mean more girth to house more powerful motors. And if it becomes too girthy, why not go for the upcoming 33/1.0 lens?

I think Fuji would be in a good place to create more magic lenses instead of computer-designed hyper performers, because clinicality of the Fuji lenses was one of the (albeit tiny) reasons why I went with Leica M system instead. Make character and WR the priority, AF speed secondary, and there could be some good times ahead. Certainly the 33/1 should be sexy somehow to really be a good competition methinks...

The difference between 33/1 and 35/1.4 is not that great, in DOF. Not that great at all. If the 33/1 doesn't have character to it, it might be DOA. Or we can alternatively consider the 33/1 as the Mk2 regardless of character if it happens to have faster AF and WR.

Last edited:
The XF35/1.4 is an amazing lens. It most certainly is sharp enough, even wide open. However, equally important is the way it writes an image. I left Canon full size sensor cameras, at least in part, because of the way my images came out on an X Pro1 with the 35/1.4.
It's one of the few autofocus lenses that I still own, Fuji and Leica mount cameras both included.
. . . David

I'm not a 50 guy but the 35/1.4 is a "must-have" for me, in Fuji system. When I had it, I didn't get to use it much because I vastly preferred 35 mm-eq for everything I did, at the time. But now, I'd be super happy to get shooting portraits with the 35/1.4 in Fuji system. Very happy indeed.

The more I think about it, the more I think the 33mm F1.0 very well may be a version 2 of the 35mm 1.4. Having all the "magic" of the 1.4. With the AF speed and weather sealing people have been asking for. Plus, at 33mm, it will be closer to a true 50mm effective lens. As the 35mm lenses are 52.5mm effective. Not really much of a difference, but the purists out there. Well, everyone knows how the purists can be.

I think the 33mm F1.0 very well may be a version 2 of the 35mm 1.4.
Yes, I think this is the case. The X system is young yet, it's probably wiser to introduce new/alternative focal lengths and designs rather than redesign not-eigth-year-old designs. Canon doesn't bring out new versions every five years either.

While not lightening speed, the 35 1.4 focusses pretty quickly on the XH1 and XE3. (I admit I have no idea how it does on C-AF.) It does produce lovely images, however, and if you want AF speed there is the 35 2.0. As has been said, I would rather they leave it alone than "improve" it and ruin the rendering.

Last edited:
Back