Sony Interesting Review of the Sony RX10

Looks like most reviews so far seem to focus on the slow zoom speed... whilst I would prefer a mechanical zoom as well this is not a deal breaker for me as 99% of the pictures I like to shoot are of static subjects... price is more an issue at the moment but once this comes down a bit the RX10 would certainly have my interest.

Yes, after reading that, and considering the almost universal praise for the lens/sensor matched IQ, even vs m43 and APS-C, I wound up going for the Adorama deal. Doubt I'd have done it for $1300, but at that price looks like quite the deal. If you consider the cost of the Panny 12-35 and 35-100, even without the price of a body- assuming you already have one, should suit my needs for my typical "slow photography" when I don't want to carry gear and have to contemplate things like "which lens?" etc.

Would have been nice to have a body the size of E-PL5 et al, but after looking at comparisons at camera size, decided it will work.

As a counterpoint to the Luminous Landscape review (and many other reviews), I found this entry at dpreview.com. Perhaps zoom speed on the RX10 is not the issue many believe it to be:

Full Manual for DSC-RX10: Sony Cyber-shot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Bummed I missed that Adorama open box deal a few months back. $1,300 is so steep, but I would definitely take a shot at it for under a $1,000, but it's hard to find them under $1,250 right now. In the U.S., I've seen some new around $1,079, but I'm presuming they're 'grey market' imports and may lack a U.S. warranty -- something I feel I'd like to have with a camera this pricey. Hopefully there will be sales in the future!

Looks like most reviews so far seem to focus on the slow zoom speed... whilst I would prefer a mechanical zoom as well this is not a deal breaker for me as 99% of the pictures I like to shoot are of static subjects... price is more an issue at the moment but once this comes down a bit the RX10 would certainly have my interest.

I initially thought the same, but after I played w/ one at a Sony store decided I did not like how slow it was going from 24-200 fov range. I hope they come out w/ a manual focus ring version next. I think that they got it right for the most part.

Gary

Back