Leica Interesting Video: Sold all his gear to switch to Leica

Beautifully done video. And I agree. Leicas do deem to make taking pics more fun. I have four, M8.2, M9, M240 (2). I kind of gravitate to the M9 and really like it with a '57 KMZ Jupiter 8 on it which does color and sharpness very well. And you never have to feel ashamed when you drag out a Leica. And I do really like the M9/J8 for color.

I have a nice Sony A7M III that I shoot with the 24 - 240 mostly and it has a high batting average of getting the pic. But I still mostly drag out that M9/J8 combo. My Air Jordans.

...And you never have to feel ashamed when you drag out a Leica...
I understand what you're saying, but for me it might be the opposite. If I had a camera and lens worth north of $5K I think I would feel self-conscious, unworthy and a bit embarrassed every time I pulled it out of the bag.

Please don't misinterpret this as any judgement against you or any proud Leica owner. I don't begrudge those who use them, it's just not for me. Besides, it'll take a LOT of improvement on my part to get to the point that the relatively pedestrian gear I own is holding me back.

- K

I understand what you're saying, but for me it might be the opposite. If I had a camera and lens worth north of $5K I think I would feel self-conscious, unworthy and a bit embarrassed every time I pulled it out of the bag.

Please don't misinterpret this as any judgement against you or any proud Leica owner. I don't begrudge those who use them, it's just not for me. Besides, it'll take a LOT of improvement on my part to get to the point that the relatively pedestrian gear I own is holding me back.

- K

We all think that until we succumb to Red Dot fever. LMAO Actually no one notices. But I like that M9. And I buy used, way cheaper.

Last edited:
I didn't sell all my gear - I had a surprise inheritance instead - and used it to get back into Leica again. I had had a film CL & IIIF in the past as well as several Canon Rangefinders, so I was well aware of what, how & why.

I agree with the idea that they just make it fun. You have to understand and accept their limits but within them, it's a blast. I stick to mostly old classic glass which holds my costs down as well.

But there is no way I'd want to get rid of my D7100 and all the wonderful mf glass I have for it.

Except for a couple Voigtländer lenses all my lenses are used. The US$65 KMZ '57 J8 is a honey, the Canon 28mm LTM f/2.8 and the Canon 50mm LTM f/1.8 are also great.

I bought the M8.2 to test the water. Then the M9 for full frame and then the M240 for higher ISO and quieter shutter. The second M240 was a gift for a friend who did not like it and sent it back along with its Voigtländer 40mm f/1.2. So that is why I have the bunch that I have. I am not that good a photographer but I do have fun and you know the old southern adage that even a blind hog finds a root once in a while.

I do believe the M9 has the superior color with its CCD sensor. I know others dispute this. It is not settled as untrue. And the CMOS folks say that they can treat their CMOS images to look as good as the CCD image so I guess the CCD does look better. I believe it does and that floats my boat. All in all the Leicas are fun cameras, way overpriced and perhaps overrated. If I absolutely, have to, gotta get the pic I drag out the Sony A7M III. That honey does the job more often than the Leica which depends more upon me. But the bottom line is that these are tools/toys in a game I play. I also have a Pentax Q-S1 that gets good photos. It is more me than the camera unfortunately. I wish I could find the camera to make all my pics great. I'm not sure I would tell you about it, though. LOL

The vast, vast majority of iPhone laypersons wouldn't have a clue what kind of camera I'm carrying, nor would they even notice.

I was doing a paid wedding gig one time, I had my M240 and M9-P over my shoulder. One of the 'uncles' in the extended family of the wedding couple sported a huge Nikon setup and he was taking photos throughout the day (which I'm totally cool with, he never got in my way or anything). Towards the end of the day he came up to me for a friendly chat and the first thing he said was:

"Hey nice Fuj... oh". He only realised they were Leicas when he got close to me, he thought they were both Fujifilm X100.

I was flying in from Japan a few years ago and I had my M9-P, M240, and M10 in my luggage at the airport. The luggage was getting checked and the security dude asked me if they were Fujis. He'd probably seen a ton of cameras from travellers, he still didn't know any better.

I've done a paid corporate gig where I photographed 50 staff and the few who noticed my camera said it was cute, or they asked if it was one of those old timey cameras. Only one guy recognised it as a Leica but only because his grandfather had one.

I was at the cafe at the museum one time, an elderly gentleman said something like: "oh that's a Leica". He said he had a film Leica one at home but he hadn't picked it up in a very very long time. We struck up a short conversation, he said it was too late for him (of course I said 'no way!') to get back into photography.

There's been a tiny handful of times when someone's come up to me and asked if it was a Leica and I ended up having a conversation with them about photography and cameras. One of those encounters resulted in a friendship that lasted until I moved interstate a few years ago.

In summary - it is my experience over the past 12 yrs or so of Leica ownership that:

- most people don't know what it is anyway,
- most people don't care,
- if anyone says anything, it's more likely that they'll comment that it's cute or they'll think it's one of those old timey cameras, and they're more likely to let me photograph them with it,
- it's more of a minor curiosity for a tiny handful of others and may initiate a good conversation with a fellow photography enthusiast.

A few weeks ago I got on to a packed tram with my family and the guy standing in front of me had a Leica Q2 over his shoulder. I initiated the converastion: "Is that a Q?" Yes, he said. A Q2 Monochrom. We had a brief conversation but then I said: "Don't those go for about 6 grand?" I may have misinterpreted his reaction but he almost seemed insulted, he said: "No! They're more like 11 grand, this is a Monochrom they're a lot more expensive!" It wasn't until after that I think I was thinking regular Q2 prices in USD, not AUD.

Not many other folks get jacked up about Leicas, certainly not ours. One fellow noticed one of the M240's once in a restaurant and said he would like one. That's in about two and one half to three years. Yeah, I'm psyched but that does not mean anybody else is. There a a certain few who buy Leicas to look like serious photographers and get noticed or to announce they have the cash to do snaps with an expensive camera. I just like that M9/J8 combo.

I've stopped at the M9 and M Monochrom. If they stop working, and I found a lightly used M10 for a good price- I would get that.
No interest at all in the M11. I do not like the "always-on Sensor" instead of a light-meter being built in. It's a mirrorless camera with an auxiliary rangefinder mechanism.
I have around 120 lenses in Leica mount, going back to 1934.
Retirement is on the horizon, and more time for a darkroom. I have a lot of film cameras to use the lenses on.

I will admit to having inherited my Leica's. I got the M3 into working order just to see what all the hype about them was. I put a roll of film thru it and got some acceptable pictures from it. I can't afford film/developing costs so it was pretty much one and done. I found it gave me hand cramps, even with the grip I foolishly traded away an FM2 for. Now they sit in my cabinet, waiting for the day when my grandkids ask me what they are. Until then, the Sony's will have to take up the slack.

I've stopped at the M9 and M Monochrom. If they stop working, and I found a lightly used M10 for a good price- I would get that.
No interest at all in the M11. I do not like the "always-on Sensor" instead of a light-meter being built in. It's a mirrorless camera with an auxiliary rangefinder mechanism.
I have around 120 lenses in Leica mount, going back to 1934.
Retirement is on the horizon, and more time for a darkroom. I have a lot of film cameras to use the lenses on.

I have the M8.2, a couple of M240's and that M9. And that M9 is the one which goes out for walks. I have that '57 KMZ Jupiter 8 which is a sweet lens and accurate. I would be happy enough with the M240's which I now have to take the place of the M9 when it gives up the ghost. But, you know guys love gadgets and toys, especially intricate mechanical ones, so I might also be seduced by a sweet M10. Never say never. To quote the great Fats Waller, "One never knows, do one?" But right now the M9/J8 combo is working for me. Working well.

When you retire it will immediately become clear why you worked all those years. Then the game becomes to outsmart the actuaries. I have, so far. I retired in '99. Have not worked a lick since and have loved every moment of it. You will, too.

The vast, vast majority of iPhone laypersons wouldn't have a clue what kind of camera I'm carrying, nor would they even notice.

I was doing a paid wedding gig one time, I had my M240 and M9-P over my shoulder. One of the 'uncles' in the extended family of the wedding couple sported a huge Nikon setup and he was taking photos throughout the day (which I'm totally cool with, he never got in my way or anything). Towards the end of the day he came up to me for a friendly chat and the first thing he said was:

"Hey nice Fuj... oh". He only realised they were Leicas when he got close to me, he thought they were both Fujifilm X100.

I was flying in from Japan a few years ago and I had my M9-P, M240, and M10 in my luggage at the airport. The luggage was getting checked and the security dude asked me if they were Fujis. He'd probably seen a ton of cameras from travellers, he still didn't know any better.

I've done a paid corporate gig where I photographed 50 staff and the few who noticed my camera said it was cute, or they asked if it was one of those old timey cameras. Only one guy recognised it as a Leica but only because his grandfather had one.

I was at the cafe at the museum one time, an elderly gentleman said something like: "oh that's a Leica". He said he had a film Leica one at home but he hadn't picked it up in a very very long time. We struck up a short conversation, he said it was too late for him (of course I said 'no way!') to get back into photography.

There's been a tiny handful of times when someone's come up to me and asked if it was a Leica and I ended up having a conversation with them about photography and cameras. One of those encounters resulted in a friendship that lasted until I moved interstate a few years ago.

In summary - it is my experience over the past 12 yrs or so of Leica ownership that:

- most people don't know what it is anyway,
- most people don't care,
- if anyone says anything, it's more likely that they'll comment that it's cute or they'll think it's one of those old timey cameras, and they're more likely to let me photograph them with it,
- it's more of a minor curiosity for a tiny handful of others and may initiate a good conversation with a fellow photography enthusiast.

A few weeks ago I got on to a packed tram with my family and the guy standing in front of me had a Leica Q2 over his shoulder. I initiated the converastion: "Is that a Q?" Yes, he said. A Q2 Monochrom. We had a brief conversation but then I said: "Don't those go for about 6 grand?" I may have misinterpreted his reaction but he almost seemed insulted, he said: "No! They're more like 11 grand, this is a Monochrom they're a lot more expensive!" It wasn't until after that I think I was thinking regular Q2 prices in USD, not AUD.
My aversion of shooting with a Leica is not about other folks recognizing the brand. Ok, I guess that might be a tiny sliver of it, certainly less than 1%. Another maybe 2% would be just making myself a target for thieves, but as you note, most folks don't recognize the significance of the red dot and I assume that holds true for most street criminals. The remaining 97+% is mostly down to my own understanding of what my needs in a camera are. Or maybe that's just how I keep myself from catching a case of red dot fever. ;)

- K

oh sorry, I thought I would get a ballpark of 200 max 400 cdn, even broken 1950's range finder. All's well that endz well

Not as a joke but how much would an older , broken Leica cost? From a collector's perspective. Even film one?
Depends on the model and condition, most are worth repairing. I was given a pair, both needed some light work.

If you want a good rangefinder for film, the Canon P is an excellent choice. These go in the $200 range with a lens.

Retirement- I've been asked to setup an internship program for computer engineering. I've worked with students as interns for 25 years.

Back