Leica Interesting Video: Sold all his gear to switch to Leica

I agree, I make it a routine to buy a lottery ticket every one or two weeks. Statisticians may scoff at my chances of winning... nevertheless I do have a chance.
My mum won just under £90K ten years ago with a £1 'lucky dip' ticket.

The lady who brought the cheque round said that she might see her again. My mum said this was unlikely, however, the lady said that she had visited some winners several times. It boils down luck and must not be confused with online poker, or for that matter, any other form of gambling which involves playing against a computer.

What a strange and winding path this Topic has wandered. :unsure:

A few years ago all of my kit was Olympus m43 except a Sony compact. Then I bought a used Leica X2 which blew the Oly out of the water. Being wary of investing Leica money, I 'upgraded' from Oly to Panasonic. My logic was that Leica teamed up with Panasonic for various stuff - So it must be better.
My Panasonic GX8 was my least loved camera ever. Far too many buttons and dials and cold, lifeless images OOC - yes good RAW if you like post processing.
I realised that I always use Auto ISO. So that only leaves Speed and Aperture. I don't need anything else.
And THAT'S what Leica gives you.
Like a LOTUS car, take away everything you don't need.
SO I sold everything and bought a T, a handful of L-mount lenses and then a TL2. Loved that kit for about 5 years then got a bit bored. Didn't want a CL because there SHOULD be a CL2 by now so succumbed to the temptation of a X100V.
The Fuji has a great viewfinder. But it's not as nice to use as the Leicas. And, even though its several years newer, it's IQ is just, almost, on par with the TL2.
I'll probably never buy anything other than Leica from now on.
That old chestnut about Price vs Value. Leica delivers Value in spades.
IMHO
Cheers,

I once entered Leica's annual contest in the hopes of winning the Grand Prize, a digital Leica rangefinder and their f/.95 50mm lens. When I told my better half, she said, "Would you be comfortable walking around with a camera/lens combo that is worth the price of a car?" I had to admit I would not; it would be like owning an original 427 Cobra sports car. Now they are worth $500,000. I would be terrified to take it out in traffic . . .
That's what insurance is for lolz ;)

Didn't want a CL because there SHOULD be a CL2 by now
I'd really like to see it come out and drop the price of the CL. I could see myself investing in that camera but I'm not paying that kind of money for what is essentially just a somewhat better APS-C mirrorless system when it could also buy a pro level large aperture M4/3 lens kit.

how and why are letting these go at those rates? Where do you live? Small town? Upper class neightbourhood with people that don't care about old camera's

I sometimes wonder what a Leica-made equivalent to the GR could be like. Not a breathed-on Panasonic, actual Leica.
If it was a straight up collab, that would be something special. I don't really think another manufacturer can emulate just what a GR is successfully, just as I don't believe anyone can emulate what a Leica is successfully. There would have to be give and take between both actual design teams.

If it was a straight up collab, that would be something special. I don't really think another manufacturer can emulate just what a GR is successfully, just as I don't believe anyone can emulate what a Leica is successfully. There would have to be give and take between both actual design teams.
PetaPixel recently published an article from a German photographer who had his Ricoh GRII sensor modified for monochrome use only. Will Ricoh be so bold as to produce such a model? Hopefully yes.

Most people look at a Leica as "a funny old camera".

I had a fellow I worked with pick up an old III in St. Vincet de Paul or the Salvation Army. It was cheap there. Later appraised at ~US$150 because of a bad lens. This was 25 or 30 years ago.

Goodwill has gotten pricey I am told and I suspect that these other two may have, too. Cheap Leicas can still be had but they will most likely be film or non-functional digital if they are really cheap. OTOH, you may get lucky. It costs nothing to look.

Goodwill has gotten pricey I am told

Probably because it's much easier to research things with the internet these days.

I remember 30yrs ago someone I know found a Steinberger guitar at the op shop for absolute peanuts because, if you knew Steinberger guitars they have a cheap plastic headless look (ie it looked incomplete/broken). He said Steinbergers usually go for around $6000 but he bought his for a couple hundred bucks.

Back