Leica Introduce Yourself...

Welcome aboard, you will find a number of us that shoot film and digital.
Thanks! Glad to be here - this is not blocked at work, like everything else is, so I have something interesting to read while I have my lunch. I would like to get a digital rangefinder in the future, once I've saved enough!
Welcome Adam, it's good to see another Aussie on board. Nice kit.
G'Day!
Still miss my XPan. Sensational camera.

Gordon
I miss mine too, I left it in Perth but will go home to get it and bring it here to New Caledonia next month!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using LeicaPlace mobile app

Ed, aka Penfan2010, finally registered and started posting this evening. Like many of you, also part of Amin's ever-growing photo forum empire (mu43 to SC and then FujiXSpot). Got the Leica bug in college when I borrowed the M3 of a friend's dad. Took me 10+ years before I had one of my own (bought it off the great eBay, a wonderful M3 I still have, which came with the 50mm Summicron F2, 35mm 3.5 with finder, and an L39 90mm F4 Elmar. Sold off 35 a year or so ago). M3 shot side-by-side with my trusty OM-1n and Pen-F.

Always dreamed of getting a digital Leica, but could never afford them brand new. So, got into mu43 to use my old Leica (and Oly OM and Pen) lenses, then added on Fuji X because of their retro Leica-inspired designs. Finally got my wish last week, and snagged a beautiful used chrome and black M8 for the price of a X-Pro1 body (thank you Monochrom M and all your new friends!).

Look forward to learning and sharing as much as I have on the other sites.

Welcome aboard, and you will find the M8 is a very capable camera that still has strong points compared with the digital Leica's that came after. 1/8000th of a second- reason enough to keep mine; M8 with an IR cut filter- images are more "crisp" than the M9; and for reasons that I still am trying to put my finger on: conversions to monochrome just seem to be easier with the M8 than with the M9. Trying to convert images from the Monochrom to color- that's much more difficult...

Howdy Leicaphiles. I'm Leicaless Luke.

I enjoy most types of photography and many different camera forms. I enjoy the rangefinder experience, but don't enjoy shooting film. Maybe by this time next year, I'll be able to save up enough to buy a digital Leica and start posting here on a regular basis. In the meantime, I'll enjoy your images.

LUKE! Join us~ It is Your Destiny!

Prices on Digital RF's have come down- thanks to the M type 240 and M Monochrom. Same with the last generation of X1 and others.

I saw an Epson RD-1 that had a recent full-factory service go for $800 on an Ebay BIN. Someone clicked it just in time to save me from adding it...

Thanks, Brian; you could always get your Monochrome images printed on fiber paper and hand color them....looking forward to putting the M8 through its paces, just bought an IR cut filter on this forum. Wasn't going to, but after I looked at first shots I took of my wife and son, I immediately saw why I needed one. Was going to just use the M8 as my 'monochrome' digital camera, but figured I may as well get corrected colors for times when I wanted to stay with the color images.

Welcome aboard, and you will find the M8 is a very capable camera that still has strong points compared with the digital Leica's that came after. 1/8000th of a second- reason enough to keep mine; M8 with an IR cut filter- images are more "crisp" than the M9; and for reasons that I still am trying to put my finger on: conversions to monochrome just seem to be easier with the M8 than with the M9. Trying to convert images from the Monochrom to color- that's much more difficult...

Welcome aboard- will look forwasrd to seeing your pictures posted. With the Jupiter-3, be sure to check out close-up and wide-open. Most benefit from being adjusted, some are spot-on already. Either way- feel free to post questions about it here.

Could be....

ANYWAY: when the J-3 arrives, it will not be a problem with the EP3. With the Leica: there can be a problem between the RF and actual focus because the lens is made to the Zeiss 52.4mm standard. Add to that a 1% tolerance in the J-3 focal length, you can get lucky or unlucky. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a layer of foil in the right place.

Hi, I'm Carl from Minnesota. Presently have a Digilux 3 with the 14-50mm and 14-150mm (top-notch lens, the latter).

Considering scratching together for a used M8 ... They're getting to "almost doable" pricings!

Hi I'm Neil from England's south west, or Weymouth to be precise. I used to post a bit on the m43 sister website where I used the same moniker. Only became a recent convert with the M8 but my time with the X100 gave me the desire to try a rangefinder and thus far I love the thing. Only lens thus far is the Zeiss 50mm F2 Planar. I do miss sensor shake dust reduction, one of my first purchases was the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly. I am sure that area will be one of many topics we all cover.

Hi, I'm Carl from Minnesota. Presently have a Digilux 3 with the 14-50mm and 14-150mm (top-notch lens, the latter).

Considering scratching together for a used M8 ... They're getting to "almost doable" pricings!

The M8 has a good following after all these years, amazing feat actually. Welcome Carl!

Hi I'm Neil from England's south west, or Weymouth to be precise. I used to post a bit on the m43 sister website where I used the same moniker. Only became a recent convert with the M8 but my time with the X100 gave me the desire to try a rangefinder and thus far I love the thing. Only lens thus far is the Zeiss 50mm F2 Planar. I do miss sensor shake dust reduction, one of my first purchases was the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly. I am sure that area will be one of many topics we all cover.

Neil, was it an evolution to RF? From Micro 4/3s to X100 then now to M8?

That's the one. The odd thing is for Fuji is that I never really even though about rangefinders until after I had the X100 at which point I realised probably the nicest thing about the camera was looking through the large optical viewfinder. I still keep an eye on m4/3 but there are things with the Olympus and Panasonic bodies that drive me crazy such as Olympus's refusal to implement proper Auto ISO and the horrid clicky rear thumb wheel on many of the Panasonic bodies. After owning an E420, E3, E-P2, E-M5 and X100 I find the M8 the easiest and slickest camera to use out of the lot, sounds crazy but it just works for me.

After owning an E420, E3, E-P2, E-M5 and X100 I find the M8 the easiest and slickest camera to use out of the lot, sounds crazy but it just works for me.

I've owned and used a very similar set of cameras from the Oly and Fuji X lines, and agree that the M8 is the most straightforward and easiest to use.

Hello! My name is Rodrigo Morselli! I am very happy to have my first Leica! It is a 1955 M3 with a '62 Summilux 1.4! I am completely amazed with this camera! I am a wedding photographer and it is very exciting going back to film era and practice new ways of approach and composition with the Leica! I love b&w and my next dreaming is the Leica Monochrome! Thank you all! See you, R.

Rodrigo- that is the camera that got me hooked, the M3 double stroke. Min has the Summarit on it. When you do get the M Monochrom- you will find the classic glass performs beautifully on it.

Hello Brian! Thanks for your comment! My M3 is a double stroke too! It is great! I had the Monochrome in my hands in Vegas in March in the WPPI event! Man, that is my dream now! ;)

Hi, I am new here and came via TOP as I am interested in (though probably can't afford) the mini M. Like Andrea I bought a used X2 and love the quality of the images. Also love the fact that it is so unobtrusive, my film Leica which is the R4s attracts a lot of attention but no one notices the X2!
Will post some images soon...B

Back