Leica Introduce Yourself...

Welcome aboard to Leicaplace! Another fellow J-3 DIY'r. I had one with the rear element too close up, and another where it was much too far out. On the latter- found someone had put a later ZOMZ rear fixture into the KMZ main fixture. The rear fixtures changed shape- the ZOMZ just would not screw in properly.

You'll find a good mix of Film and Digital here. I'm an early adopter of Digital "professionally", when just out of school. 30 years ago...

Hi Miko, and welcome.

I took a peek at your flickr collection - very fun, great photos. Who knows why any of us get infected with the photo bug, but it looks like it's infected you in a good way. :)

One of things I miss about film is developing and enlarging. My dad's a photo nut too, when I was young we had a development room in the basement. If you haven't already, I'll suggest seeking out and using a community darkroom to develop your negatives, then enlarge, crop, dodge, and burn them onto photo paper. I miss that about film!

I do like digital for being able to check a photo for exposure in real time, though ...

Thanks for the welcome :)

carlb: As soon as I started photography I also started developing myself + I've got a Dunco enlarger with condenser head + Rodagon lens. Got it for free (together with a ton of supplies and other equipment) from a community darkroom which was liquidated ;)
Unfortunatly I've got no place to set up a small darkroom at the moment, but yeah, printing your negatives is great.

I've got nothing against digital, it has many merits... it's simply not really my cup of tea (although I would love to try a M Monochrom some day)

Thanks for the welcome :)

carlb: As soon as I started photography I also started developing myself + I've got a Dunco enlarger with condenser head + Rodagon lens. Got it for free (together with a ton of supplies and other equipment) from a community darkroom which was liquidated ;)
Unfortunatly I've got no place to set up a small darkroom at the moment, but yeah, printing your negatives is great.

I've got nothing against digital, it has many merits... it's simply not really my cup of tea (although I would love to try a M Monochrom some day)

I warn you about trying the Monochrom, once you do you will HAVE TO OWN IT. I made that mistake when I walked past the Leica store for the first time. A month later and the Monochrom was mine at the expense of my Harley Davidson V-ROD, which had to be sold to pay for the Monochrom.

J3s are great fun (thanks again Brian) and are simply magical on the Monochrom.

Now I guess I need to hunt down a good Barnack, which would be a perfect "analog back" for my collapsable Summitar (1949 coated with 10-blade aperture).

I'll add my welcome, Miko! I'm glad you added your Flickr link - you can add it to your signature line, if you like. Looking forward to checking your photos out, for sure.

I'm currently Leica-less, but one day that will hopefully change.;)

"Some Day", probably when I retire- will setup the darkroom back up. I've worked with Digital when it was in the Lab, "anything but convenient". We used 7-track Magnetic Tape to record the images. To get "hardcopy", used a camera to photograph a CRT.

I am Fred. A refugee from photo.net. Hung out at RFF from when Jorge Torralba started it. Just lurked on and off for several years. Alternated between using rangefinders and dslrs several times, selling everything in one format to fund the other. Now using rf lenses on mirrorless cameras. Shoot film for the sheer fun of using film cameras. Have a heap of undeveloped film but Winogrand I am not. I shoot pix mainly to document the lives of my kids.

Glad you found your way here, Fred. I'm currently Leica-less and thus I have to get my fix from photos here - so I'm really looking forward to seeing some of yours soon.:drinks:

Welcome Fred. I am the same way, flip between DSLR, Rangefinder, Mirrorless. Just this year alone, I think I switched between the Sony A7 and Leica M twice already.

This is a great place to hang out. I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Vince

Hey, I never registered over here. Used to hang out in Serious Compacts, but kind of wandered off, as I do.

I'm mostly a Leica shooter, though, so I joined here. Finally.

Hi, a migrant from the realms of Serious Compacts, as was, and m4/3 where I have been posting for some time. In the mists of time I had owned an M3 and a CL, but no longer. However if I go through with it I'll be the owner of a D-Lux Type 109 in a couple of months time. First impressions are of a quiet and laid back forum, suits my style :)

Barrie

Back