Leica Introduce Yourself...

My name is Andrew and I'm another one of Brian's delighted customers. As a bookend, I own his most recent CZJ 5cm Sonnar conversion and one of his outstanding Jupiter 3s, a coated 1963 Zomz that is probably the most-used lens on my Leica M Monochrom.

My most recent end purchase wasn't anything interesting (35mm f/2 IS for Canon), and I am currently pulling my hair out trying to decide between a used Leica M9, a VERY used vintage film M (and immediately a CLA with Sherry Krauter), or perhaps a modern 35mm Summicron. End of year bonus is burning a hole in my pocket.

It's really nice to have photographers appreciate these classic lenses- These Sonnars always amaze me.

I need to get the darkroom set back up, or at least a setup to process negatives and scan. Kodak pulling out of the developing business was my big push to using digital.

Prices of film M Bodies have dropped, unless the very used M is of historic value, I'd be tempted to go for an EX+ or better that had a recent CLA. Of course, I kept the M9- a perfect complement to the M Monochrom.

I'm looking for either an M6,M5 or M2, though not sure I want to fuss with external metering. Whatever I buy (if anything) will either come from or go directly to Sherry Krauter for full CLA.

Might just hold onto the cash or grab a used M9.

There are some good deals on M9 bodies- I would go for an M6 over the M5, the swinging arm CDS cell mechanism is not reliable, CDS cells tend to lose sensitivity over time, and the camera was designed to take Mercury cell batteries. I have a CL, got it at a great price- but keep a hand-held meter around when using it.

She probably has a stock of replacement CDS cells. The M5 is more popular now than when it was first introduced. I always felt it was Leica's answer to a Canon 7.

Hello. I've made my way here from Amin's other sites -- mu-43 and Serious Compacts. I've thought of joining for some time, but having only an old Leica iiib and three old Leitz lenses, I held off. I also use a Bessa R with those lenses. I may as well list them: 50mm f2 Summicron collapsible from 1953, a 90mm Elmar from 1949 (which I love!), a 135 Elmar from the late 40's that is softer than I usually want. The iiib originally came with a 1932 50mm collapsible Elmar, which I have since (regretfully) sold, but from which I'm including the shot below. The lens definitely needed a hood for flare and some contrast adjustment even then, but resolves a good bit.

My first question to anyone who cares to weigh in on it is, what do you think of the X1 as compared to the Sigma DP2? I have the Sigma and am thinking to selling it (though I love the resolution) to acquire a Leica X1, which I've lusted after since they came out and which are finally within my means, bought used. I realize no one can answer the question for me, but if anyone has experience of both and has any ideas on the subject, I'd be eager to hear them.

Gas%20Leica%20iiib%201932%20Elmar-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Lawrence,

I have the Vario X, which aside from being slower aperture and being a zoom, is supposed to give shots that feel like others in the X series.

The SP2 is going to out-resolve the X1. When you get things right with SP2, it will take some amazing pictures. You're well aware of its performance issues, however.

The X1 is going to help you take the shot you want, I'd think somewhat more readily than with the SP2. (Not that the SP2 can't help you get superb images.)

The X-series feel for shooting is great. Very well thought out controls that help to choose aperture, shutter, and ISO to do what you want the shot to do. My guess is you'll like that a lot if you feel like doing so on other cameras isn't as natural or intuitive as you wish it were.

The X-series does well for color balance in various lighting conditions, something I understand can be a challenge with the SP2.

So there it is from my perspective. The SP2 when the light is right can get you some amazingly resolved images. The X1 will have superb image quality, although they wouldn't be able to crop as much as the SP2 with good light. But the X1 will likely feel more conducive to get great shots in wider varieties of situations.

I'd say give one a try for a while, it's likely that you'll like the X1 a lot.

I have the DP2 Merrill, and as you said, the resolution is nothing short of amazing. But except for when I'm photographing birds with a 300mm lens that still isn't long enough, I don't crop severely. That's the dilemma, the functionality of the X1 or the the sheer resolution of the DP2 Merrill. The one thing that drives me a bit crazy about the Merrill is its tendency for cyan/green vignetting, which I find quite ugly unless it is corrected. It can be, but it's time consuming to get it done without leaving a trace. I've had a hunger for the Leica X1 since it came out at prices I could not afford. Good deals used now make it possible for me, but I'd still have to sell the Merrill to get there. Thus the dilemma. It's one or the other; I don't have the budget for both. The resolution of the X1 is adequate to my needs. I don't print large. Even when I was shooting large format film, I rarely print bigger than 11x14. I like being able to hold a print in my hand and look at it.

Decisions decisions.

One thing that could potentially bug you about an X1 versus perhaps an X100S or Ricoh GR or Coolpix A: the many more features and the better specs the non-Leica cameras have.

The trade as I see it is giving up better specs and lots of things that I mostly don't use, for a camera whose raison d'être is a balance of sensor-to-glass characteristics coupled with superb user controls and build. Something that's uniquely "Leica:" something I'm enjoying the feel of, the shooting experience of, and of course am enjoying the images from.

There's no way to know how it will hit you unless you try it. :D Oh, and like you I had to wait until I could find the camera at a lot less than its sticker price. I just couldn't swing or justify the original price, but at some $$ figure it suddenly became something I could stretch for.

I don't use most of what modern digital cameras offer me. I still shoot mostly manual exposure, sometimes aperture priority. I never use built in art filters. With some rare exceptions, which are covered by my E-M5, I use my digital cameras pretty much the way I used my film cameras. I don't care about video and never use-- I mean never. One of the things I like about the Merrill is its simplicity. It's a still image shooter without a lot of bells and whistles I don't use. I liked the optical finder in the Fuji X100 I had, and would certainly use an eye level finder with the X1, perhaps even an old turrent finder I have for a Leica iiib, which I've read works well with it, even if it looks odd . It does, though, have a mechanical correction for 1 and 3 meter parallax adjustment, which could make its clunky looks worthwhile). I don't need shooting information in the viewfinder; the only thing I ever had in my film cameras (Om-1) were a match needle to meter. If push comes to shove, I 've had a Gossen Luna Pro Sbc for about 30 years that I love and still use with the iiib and Hasselblad 500CM, and if I didn't like getting my metering information from the lcd, I could use that. Calibrating it with a particular camera/lens is pretty straightforward. Getting my metering info from the lcd doesn't bother me on the Merrill, but I have the accessory viewfinder, as I don't usually like composing on an LCD even if, to be accurate at closer distances, I'm willing to do so.

So there I am. I just have to make a decision.

Lawrence, welcome aboard- you have some great lenses, and two good cameras to use them on. The 1953 Summicron - I suspect is like mine, "Hot Glass". Lenses with SN at 105xxxx switched over to a newer glass. I have two of the "Hot Glass" lenses, good performers and "collectible".

You want the X1 and don't like the artifacts from the DP2M. Sell it, go with the X1- or look for someone wanting to trade. The DP2M will produce some wonderful Monochrome images in brighter light. Someone with the X1 might want to swap.

And- "Spanner Wrench in the works": you have three lenses that could be used on a Leica M8. Prices are way down. With some new processing techniques, ISO2500 looks very good on mine. Low ISO is ore crisp than the M9.

Thanks Brian. I've thought of the M8, but assumed I'd need newer lenses to really take advantage of it, although the old 50 Summicron on my E-M5 does very nicely. My copy is one of the newer glass ones, beginning in 111xxxx; it's still a very nice lens. The shot below, was taken at a street fair with the Bessa and the 50mm, on plus-x of happy memory, I do miss that film in 35mm.

nob%20hill%20summerfest23-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is with my "Hot-Glass" collapsible Summicron, SN starts with "104" on my Leica M8.

Wide-open at F2, full-image and 100% crop. at F4- even sharper. The Summicron produces beautiful, delicate colors on the M8.

Attachments

• L1010270.jpg
    L1010270.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 141
  • flower_f2_crop.jpg
    flower_f2_crop.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 279
My name is Jack and I am from Southern California (Office in Costa Mesa and home in Dana Point.
I have been involved with photography for 55 years, starting as a Junior High School student in Santa Monica.
I have used Bolsey, Fujica, Voigtlander, Ikoflex, Canon Reflex, and an assorted variety of cameras over the years.
After being diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer 18 months ago I set my digital cameras aside and went back to manual film cameras.
I had some Leica Barnack's left (Leica III, Leica IIIc, and Leica IIIf). I had a few Leica lenses left, along with some Canon's, Cosina Voigtlander's, and a bunch of FSU's. I also have a fair Contax Rangefinder collection.
Going back to these assisted me in going through Chemo, Radiation, Surgery (Esophajectomy) and now through another series of Chemo. I find that returning to these manual film cameras has really been both therapeutic and stress relieving.
I will start posting some photos but truly enjoy reading and viewing the posts of others. :)
Thanks,
Jack

Welcome aboard, Jack. Photography with these older cameras can be very therapeutic, working with them seems to use a different part of the brain. I find it a great stress release.

Feel free to post any of your pictures here, including those with the Contax and FSU cameras. I have several of those myself, love working with the lenses on them.

Back