Fuji Investigation into Manual Focus Variation in Lag Time - 100 to 500 ms for 56mm

Update: I'm continuing to research this issue, with mixed results:

-- Since my X-Pro 1 doesn't have an intervalometer or a remote terminal, I built a test stand that lets me use a hobby-type servomotor as a "robo-finger" to release the shutter repeatably. I used an Arduino microcontroller to trigger the "robo-finger" and then time the number of milliseconds until the X-sync terminal closes. This gave me a large series of measured lag figures.

-- I also ran a series of trials using the video timing method Cass used in his original report. Although the actual lag numbers were slightly different, the video method gave overall results similar to those from the test stand.

-- In both types of testing, I consistently measured a slightly longer lag time at small apertures than at larger apertures, confirming Cass' and others' experience.

-- However, I was NOT able to reproduce the extremely long (~500ms) and variable lag times documented by Cass in his test (and experienced by me in real-world usage.) My lag times at a given aperture never varied more than 20ms or so, which I considered reasonable given that I'm using a low-precision servo.

-- I began to wonder if my original experience wasn't simply a one-off quirk or possibly caused by another factor such as a slow memory card. So this past Saturday, with another batch of subjects to photograph, I decided to try using the X-Pro again. It performed normally for about the first 250 shots, when suddenly I was hit by a long, unpredictable lag again. It was easily perceptible, and was causing me to miss peak actions that I had had no trouble capturing just a few moments before.

-- I turned the X-Pro off and back on and the lag went back to normal; after a few more shots, however, the problem returned, and continued to return intermittently during the rest of the session. Eventually I found that I could seemingly predict when it was going to happen by listening to the sound of the lens aperture motor as I half-depressed the release: If I heard a softer-than-normal sound, or no sound, I would get the long, unpredictable lag. When this happened, I could usually clear it (although not always) by re-locking the focus point and trying the release again. This at least saved the subjects some extra work, because we could abort an attempt when excess lag seemed likely.

-- Unfortunately, I was concentrating so hard on working with the subjects that I didn't pay close attention to what might have been triggering the problem. However, I'm thinking now that there must be specific combinations of settings or operating sequences that put the X-Pro into this "long-lag" mode.

Cass has documented focusing direction as a trigger factor for the Fuji models he tested, but I wasn't able to reproduce that effect with the X-Pro on my test stand. My next task is to figure out what does trigger the effect, so I can evoke it consistently enough to measure.

For those who aren't interested, feel free to ignore this whole thread, which I admit has gotten somewhat esoteric. However, this variable lag is a very serious issue for anyone who wants to use Fuji for peak action -- it's possible to adapt to a fairly long lag as long as it's consistent, but a lag that varies inconsistently makes it almost impossible to "lead" your subject successfully.

So if anyone else has experience or measurements that will help us pin down when this effect occurs and what's likely to cause it, please chime in!

Note: Attached is an example from Saturday's session, when the X-Pro was cooperating. Catching the arms, legs and hair at the right position requires anticipating the peak moment, which is almost impossible if the lag varies by hundreds of milliseconds from shot to shot...

View attachment 4634

Attachments

• 15-01-04_096r1200.jpg
    15-01-04_096r1200.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi AJ,

Thanks for the very detailed update. So, strange about the delays you are getting, and not able to see what is causing it, and sometimes it going away for a while, and then returning. The focus ring movement I have tried now on 5 cameras (2 x X-E1, 2 x X-T1, and one X-Pro 1), and all can be induced using that same method. It could be that yours has the issue, but because intermittently, just difficult to prove one way or the other. It would be so great if someone else could hark in.

As I have said, other people have mentioned on other forums that the focus shift induces it for them, so I guess there is 'some' consistency. But your sample just might have a slightly different set of conditions...

I wish I knew... I am thinking of selling up to be honest. Planninga few travel tours this year where I just need the system to fire when I predict it to, so back to Nikons for me 'unfortunately'...

We'll keep tabs on this one though!

Later, and thanks again,
Cass.

This evening I did more experimentation on my version of the "variable lag" issue -- and I think I've made some progress!

Recap: EasyCass (whose excellent analysis leads off this thread) and I have been trying to understand a peculiar issue when using our cameras in manual-focus mode: the amount of "shutter lag" (the delay between pressing the shutter release and the camera actually firing) becomes extremely variable and causes problems when trying to anticipate peak actions.

(This doesn't concern autofocus, which we all know can slow down shutter response. And it's not about the absolute length of the lag. A certain amount of lag is inevitable with any camera, and you can learn to compensate for it as long as it's consistent. The problem we're encountering is that it's NOT consistent, making it almost impossible to capture the actions we want.)

My own experiences with "variable lag" have come while trying to photograph dancers in photo sessions using studio electronic flash. I have a lot of experience in photographing this kind of action with other cameras, and usually can anticipate the movement enough to catch the peak action I want. But when I tried using my X-Pro, I ran into problems.

I was using manual focus, and I would half-press and hold the shutter release before each picture so the camera would be pre-set and ready to fire with minimal delay. Most of the time it would work fine -- but sometimes, unpredictably, the camera would "hang fire" and not take the picture until the peak action was long past.

Reading Cass's initial post made me realize this problem wasn't just my imagination, and I built an automated test rig that could fire the X-Pro via a servomotor and measure the actual amount of shutter lag in milliseconds. However, I wasn't able to get the test rig to reproduce my studio experience: it always measured consistent delays in the range of 90 to 100 milliseconds (+/- about 20 ms.)

So today I decided to try a more freeform test method to simulate my actual studio experiences. Instead of using dancers, I wrote a little computer program to make a "reaction tester." It shows a horizontal array of 11 dots that light up in sequence, with a green dot in the middle. The object of the game is to get a picture of the green dot. If you shoot early, you instead see one or more yellow dots; if you shoot late, you see one or more red dots. The dots change every 100 milliseconds, so the number of dots lets you estimate how far off you were. (If anybody wants to play with this program, which I wrote in the Processing language, let me know and I can put it on my Github.)

At first, using my X-Pro 1 and 56mm lens in MF mode, I "got my groove on" fairly quickly and was able to catch the green dot almost every time. But then I made some changes in how I was handling the camera, and suddenly I was getting the same "variable lag" I had seen in the studio: sometimes my timing would be perfect, other times I'd be 300 to 400 milliseconds late.

Here's what I found was happening:

-- Normally, when you half-press the shutter release, the camera goes into what I'm calling its "ready state." You hear the aperture stop down; an instant later, the MF indicator in the viewfinder goes out, and (if you're using the X-Pro's optical viewfinder) the parallax compensation framelines move into position. In other words, the camera has done all its pre-shot preparation, and is ready to fire with minimal delay.

-- If you change your mind about taking a picture and lift your finger off the shutter release, the camera goes back to its "normal state." You first hear the aperture reopen almost immediately -- then, a short time later, you see the MF indicator come back on, and if you're using the X-Pro's optical viewfinder, you also see the framelines move back to their "parked" position. If you suddenly want to take a picture with the camera in its normal state, there will be more delay because it will have to go through its pre-shot cycle again.

-- BUT, here's the interesting part. Suppose you half-press the release to put the camera into ready state -- then, either accidentally or deliberately, BRIEFLY relax your finger pressure and then half-press the shutter release again before the camera has time to reset. If you do this quickly enough, you'll find you've tricked the camera into what I call a "false ready" state: the shutter release is half-pressed, but the aperture is open, the MF indicator is turned on, and the framelines are in their parked position. You THINK the camera is in its ready state because you've got the shutter button half-pressed... but it's really in its normal state, and if you fully press the shutter button to take a picture, you'll get a much longer lag than you had expected.

I'm pretty sure this explains what was happening to me during my studio sessions. I'd half-press the release to get ready for the next action -- then, while recomposing, giving the dancers directions, etc., I'd briefly relax my finger pressure without realizing it. The camera would drop into this "false ready" state, and when I'd press the shutter to take a picture, I'd get a longer delay than I was expecting, and miss the shot.

If you've read Cass's leadoff post, you'll know he uses a different testing method: instead of half-pressing the shutter release and then fully pressing it, he presses it all at once in a single continuous motion. This probably accounts for some of the differences between his findings and mine. He also has identified turning the focusing ring as a factor that causes the unpredictable delays. So it's possible that there are other control operations besides "flinching" on the shutter button that can trick the camera into its "false ready" state.

Anyway, I think I know what I'm looking for now, so I can program my automated rig to induce "false ready" and make more exact measurements.

And I think I also know now how to prevent variable delay in future studio sessions. If I half-press the release, I'll need to make sure to keep it down; if it slips, I'll need to wait until the camera fully resets before half-pressing it again. If I check the finder and see that the release is half-pressed but the MF indicator is still visible, I'll know the camera is in "false ready" state and that I need to let it reset to avoid a "hang fire."

Anyone want to confirm? Dispute? Offer other information? Thanks...

Definitive test: Manual focus lag variation is real and significant (warning - long!)

Introductory note: This is a very long post, and if you're not highly interested in peak action photography with your Fuji X camera, you probably won't find it very interesting. However, if you HAVE tried to photograph precisely timed peak actions with your X camera -- and especially if you've encountered frustrations doing it -- you may be interested to know that the problems aren't just in your imagination!

I got interested in this issue after my first attempt to photograph trained dancers under studio conditions with my Fuji X-Pro 1. I have a lot of experience in this kind of photography, and usually have little trouble getting good results. However, with the X-Pro 1, I found that I often missed the intended action because the camera fired much later than I had expected -- and in some cases didn't fire at all.

Investigating online eventually led me to this forum, and to the post from Cass that opens this thread. Using a clever video timing technique, he had determined that various Fuji models exhibit unpredictable variations in shutter delay. I decided to repeat his investigation using a more instrumented approach. The reason I am going into so much detail is that I want to "nail this issue to the wall" -- to pin it down definitively enough to force Fuji to acknowledge this issue -- and, ideally, to do something about it!

To anticipate one possible criticism, let me note that we are NOT talking about autofocus delays here. Everyone knows that with any camera, autofocus can take an unpredictable amount of time to "lock on" to a subject. Because of this, photographers who need to capture specific instants -- whether in street photography, portraiture, or my studio photos of leaping dancers -- often set their cameras to manual focus. Cass's tests and mine deal ONLY with cameras in full manual focus/manual exposure mode.

Here's my report:

Beliefs that I investigated:

• Fuji X cameras are problematic to use for peak action photography, because their "shutter lag" varies in an inconsistent and unpredictable way.
  • This happens in manual focus/manual exposure mode, when the user might think the camera's responses would be the most predictable and consistent.
  • The factors that can trigger this variation are not things that the user might reasonably expect to affect shutter lag.
  • Not all brands of mirrorless camera have this problem.

What is "shutter lag"?

Every camera has a small, unavoidable delay between the moment you decide to press the shutter and the moment the picture actually is taken. We call this delay "shutter lag." Several factors go into it: the time it takes for your brain's instructions to reach your finger muscles; the time it takes for the muscles to respond; the time it takes for the fleshy pad of your finger to compress enough to press the button; and finally the various electronic and mechanical functions the camera performs before the shutter opens.

This means that peak action photography is no different from activities such as hitting a softball or tennis ball, shooting clay pigeons with a shotgun, or launching your car from the starting line in a drag race. If you wait until the actual moment that the ball reaches your bat or racquet, or that the clay pigeon passes in front of your shotgun, or that the green light appears on the drag strip's "Christmas tree," you'll be too late and miss the moment.

To get good results, you have to learn to lead, or anticipate, the action you want to capture: start your swing, or pull the trigger, or press the accelerator, slightly before the critical moment arrives. The same is true of peak action photography: you have to train yourself to start pressing the shutter a bit before the moment you want to catch.

Fortunately, humans are rather good at this, so it's fairly easy to compensate for shutter lag -- as long as the lag is consistent. Within reasonable limits, it doesn't even matter if the amount of lag is short or long; sports photographers of the 1930s were able to get excellent action pictures using large-format reflex cameras (such as the Graflex and Miroflex) that must have had titanic amounts of shutter lag. As long as the lag is consistent, your brain can teach itself to "get in the groove" and apply the right amount of compensation.

The problem is that under some conditions, the shutter lag of Fuji X cameras is NOT consistent -- leading to frustratingly unpredictable action-photography results.

How I tested

Because I'm an amateur experimenter, I was limited to the camera I had on hand: a Fuji X-Pro 1 with the latest firmware updates. (Cass, using a different test method, has shown similar results with other Fuji cameras including the X-T 1 and X-E 2, as documented in his original post.)

The X-Pro 1 does not have an electronic release terminal or a built-in intervalometer, so I built an adjustable metal test frame to operate it via a small servo motor. This acts as a "robo-finger" that presses the shutter release button when commanded by an Arduino micro-controller. After it commands the robo-finger to fire the camera, the controller starts timing in milliseconds until it receives a signal from the camera's X-sync terminal, indicating that the shutter has fired. At that point the timer stops, and the controller displays the number of milliseconds of shutter lag. I used 100 shots per test cycle, then averaged the results.

As a comparison to the Fuji X-Pro, I also tested another popular mirrorless camera -- the Olympus E-M 5 -- using the same procedure.

What I tested

There may be other factors that can cause inconsistent shutter lag, but I investigated these three:

• How the user presses the release button
  • Turning the focus ring before exposure
  • Brightness of the scene being photographed

Most users might not expect any of these factors to affect shutter lag -- but I found that all of them can have a significant effect.

How the user presses the release button:

In some situations, such as street photography, the photographer might employ what I will call the full-press technique: keep the finger completely clear of the shutter release, then depress it fully in one smooth motion to take a picture. (Cass's tests used the full press technique.)

In other situations, such as studio photography, the photographer might use what I will call the half-press technique: press the shutter release halfway, wait for the camera to settle, and then press the release fully when the peak moment arrives. (A good indication that the camera has settled is that the manual-focus indicator in the viewfinder goes out.)

And as I discovered by practical experience, the half-press technique sometimes results in what I will call a "flinch" -- when the photographer has half-pressed the release, but then momentarily relaxes pressure on the shutter button. It's all too easy (for me, at least) to "flinch" while giving the models directions or making camera adjustments, whether the camera is hand-held or tripod-mounted.

My tests showed that these different methods produce dramatically different amounts of shutter lag. The shutter lag amounts in milliseconds, averaged over 100 test shots, were:

X-Pro 1, full-press: 361 ms
X-Pro 1, half-press: 100 ms
X-Pro 1, "flinch": 380 ms

By comparison, the Olympus E-M 5 showed almost no difference; the amounts fall within the range of random variation:
E-M 5, full-press: 142 ms
E-M 5, half-press: 153 ms
E-M 5, "flinch": 160 ms

Focus-ring rotation and scene brightness:

On the X-Pro 1, the method of shutter-button press (see above) had a large effect on the other two variables I tested, so I compiled separate results for the "full-press" and "half-press" shutter button methods. (I didn't bother compiling results for the "flinch" condition, as this generally happens unintentionally.) Also, I tested at two apertures to see if this made any difference, but overall they produced similar results.

The full-press method makes the camera dramatically sensitive to both variables:

X-Pro 1, initial condition, f/11: 283 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/11: 481 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/11: 284 ms

X-Pro 1, initial condition, f/4: 276 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/4: 461 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/4: 278 ms

As you can see, simply turning the focus ring clockwise adds a delay of some 200 ms, while turning the focus ring counter-clockwise has no significant effect.

I also found that the brightness of the scene being photographed ("field brightness") can affect the results. For the "bright field," I pointed the camera at a white wall lit by a fluorescent lamp; for the "dark field," I put the lens cap on the lens.

X-Pro 1,bright field, f/1.2: 118 ms ms
X-Pro 1, dark field, f/1.2: 471 ms
X-Pro 1, bright field, f/11: 258 ms
X-Pro 1, dark field, f/11: 522 ms Note: This was the longest lag measured in my tests.

As with the shutter-button test, the Olympus E-M 5 was completely impervious to focus-ring rotations, and showed very little variation with field brightness:

E-M 5, initial condition, f/11: 140 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/11: 141 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/11: 141 ms

E-M 5, initial condition, f/4: 141 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/4: 142 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/4: 142 ms

E-M 5, bright field, f/1.8: 141 ms
E-M 5, dark field, f/1.8: 152 ms
E-M 5, bright field, f/11: 141 ms
E-M 5, dark field, f/11: 153 ms

Fortunately for Fuji photographers, these variations can be mitigated almost completely by using the half-press technique, which yields short, consistent lag times regardless of focus-ring rotation or field brightness:

X-Pro 1, initial condition, f/11: 111 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/11: 111 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/11: 108 ms

X-Pro 1, initial condition, f/4: 108 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/4: 107 ms
X-Pro 1, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/4: 107 ms

X-Pro 1,bright field, f/1.2: 107 ms ms
X-Pro 1, dark field, f/1.2: 1001 ms
X-Pro 1, bright field, f/11: 100 ms
X-Pro 1, dark field, f/11: 100 ms

As is becoming a trend, the Olympus doesn't care how you press the shutter release, with the half-press method yielding similar results to the full-press method:

E-M 5, initial condition, f/11: 146 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/11: 147 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/11: 151 ms

E-M 5, initial condition, f/4: 147 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees clockwise, f/4: 154 ms
E-M 5, after turning focusing ring about 60 degrees counter-clockwise, f/4: 147 ms

E-M 5, bright field, f/1.8: 148 ms
E-M 5, dark field, f/1.8: 151 ms
E-M 5, bright field, f/11: 146 ms
E-M 5, dark field, f/11: 153 ms

Summary of my results:

• How you press the shutter button has a huge effect on a Fuji X camera's responsiveness. The "full press" method allows large, unexpected shutter-lag variations to occur, while the "half press" method almost completely eliminates them (as long as you don't "flinch"!)
  • When using the full-press method, turning the focusing ring can affect shutter lag.
  • When using the full-press method, scene brightness can affect shutter lag.
  • The other mirrorless camera I tested did not experience any of these variations; it delivered consistent shutter-lag times regardless of how it was operated.

I realize that some Fuji fans won't like these results. But as American revolutionary hero Patrick Henry said: If this be treason, make the most of it!

Attachments

• fuji-press_method.png
    fuji-press_method.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 98
  • olympus-press_method.png
    olympus-press_method.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 97
  • fuji-focus_and_brightness-full.png
    fuji-focus_and_brightness-full.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 109
  • olympus-focus_and_brightness-full.png
    olympus-focus_and_brightness-full.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 98
  • fuji-focus_and_brightness-half.png
    fuji-focus_and_brightness-half.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 104
  • olympus-focus_and_brightness-half.png
    olympus-focus_and_brightness-half.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi AJ,

This is a highly detailed and thorough report. When I first started testing this issue myself, I had a hard time even convincing anyone that the issue existed. By using alternative testing methods, and with observations that show how this issue affects real-life photography situations, you have nailed the exact same conclusions, and more, to what I found and how it affects one's shooting experience.

Fortunately, with a few more 'beleivers' that there is in fact an issue here, Fujifilm have now been made aware of the issue, but unfortunately we are no nearer to knowing when or even 'if' this issue will be resolved. Since it seems inhernet in all their ICL cameras and lenses to a certain degree, I fear that this lag is something inherent in the initial design, and perhaps a limitation that may not be possible to fix by just a simple firmware update. However, it also may be a bug that has been overlooked from the beginning that could be fixed in the next FW update. One hopes the latter case...

While it does not affect every photographer, and while there are likely people that won't even 'see' this as a problem, I believe that for such a high-end camera system, this issue is one that just should not be present. Of course, I would just prefer the AF to be faster so I didn't have to go to manual in the first place, but the fact that I am now trying to use such a system that has slow and poor low-light auto focus, and unpredictable manual focus lag times, definitely gets in the way when trying to capture those 'decisive moments'...

Real nice work and I thank you again for your efforts in putting the report together.

Thank you, AJ37, for a well written and well researched post. This is miles beyond the opinions and guesswork that I usually read in camera forums.

So it's half-pressing from now on, then ...

Fascinating.

This goes some way to explain why I have not encountered this problem. Whether using AF or MF I seldom full-press. My modus operandi is more deliberate, tending more to focus and recompose, which involves a half-press of the shutter release. Where this matters to me is aerial photography, where I try to anticipate the peak moment rather than spraying and praying.

When "set for street" I either rely upon AF, or manual everything - focus, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Sunny-16; ISO400, f8 at 1/1000 and pre-focus to 12ft usually does the job.

One thing that needs to be pointed out about the "half-press" technique is that it's rather hard to manage with an old-fashioned mechanical cable release -- which happens to be the only kind of remote release that works with an X-Pro 1. The extra play in the release cable makes it tricky to find and maintain the exact half-press point. (And as documented above, if you fail to maintain your half-press even for a moment, you'll be back to a long, unpredictable delay.)

I'm sure it's easier to manage with an electronic release, for the newer Fujis that accept them.

Shifting to advocacy mode for a moment: The really interesting question about this random-delay phenomenon isn't which quirks make it worst or which workarounds work best.

The real question is: Why should we have to put up with this at all?

I can operate my Olympus camera pretty much any old way -- half-press, full-press, refocus, whatever -- and it will reliably bang out exposures with a consistent, repeatable ~150-millisecond delay, for which I can easily compensate. Why can't I do the same with my Fuji X camera?

Time for Fuji to fess up that this is a legitimate problem and apply some kaizen toward a solution, I think!

It's an issue, and the documentation efforts here are well-appreciated.

and yet

That doesn't make it the only issue, nor the Biggest issue for every user.

...make sense? I literally never experience this, for example, because (like Bill) it's not how I shoot. Doesn't mean I don't believe you, or that I'm not grateful, or that I don't hope Fuji fixes it somehow.

It's an issue, and the documentation efforts here are well-appreciated.

and yet

That doesn't make it the only issue, nor the Biggest issue for every user.

...make sense? I literally never experience this, for example, because (like Bill) it's not how I shoot. Doesn't mean I don't believe you, or that I'm not grateful, or that I don't hope Fuji fixes it somehow.

Same here. In the past 4 years using my (currently 23 different) X series cameras, there is not a single MF shot that hasn't been primed with a half-press before fully depressing the shutter. The only "from zero to full-press" situation I encounter is the "autofocus trick", and there's no significant lag, as otherwise the "autofocus trick" wouldn't work. After all, it's based on the camera's small lag between locking AF and recording the image. (There was a time when the AF trick stopped working well when Fuji upgraded to firmware 2.0 in the X-Pro1 using a different CDAF locking paradigm, but this has long been remedied.)

Well, alrighty then. I'll just forget the whole thing, shall I?

Steady on, that's not what I'm saying. Thing is, Mr.Fuji has a laundry list of stuff to do already. If this was an issue that had everybody - and I do mean everybody - up in arms, like Nikon or Leica's well-documented sensor problems, then fine but this is of limited impact, in a small population sample, and has a work-around. A bit like the other thread which calls for photographers with pitchforks to hammer on Dr. Fujistein's laboratory door because a couple of socket covers have unscrewed and been mislaid, there are more important things to worry about.

Luckily, it's not my job to prioritize Fuji's firmware and hardware enhancement laundry list (always based on available budgets, resources, management directives and product release schedules).

The real question is: Why should we have to put up with this at all?

I can operate my Olympus camera pretty much any old way -- half-press, full-press, refocus, whatever -- and it will reliably bang out exposures with a consistent, repeatable ~150-millisecond delay, for which I can easily compensate. Why can't I do the same with my Fuji X camera?

Time for Fuji to fess up that this is a legitimate problem and apply some kaizen toward a solution, I think!

Hi AJ,

Yes, well I am right with you.

For people that shoot landscapes, posed portraits, or any type of photo where precise timing is not important, I really do understand that they might not care about such a flaw. But, for those of us that bought into the system as a total replacement of our DLSR systems, this flaw means that for some of the time, it cannot successfully replace them. And as you say, right now, DSLR performance aside, other mirrorless systems are showing far better performance, both in AF speed, and with more predictable MF timing.

So you are right. Why can't we expect more out of teh Fuji's? This is something we should expect. As Bill says, there are a number of things that could be improved on the system, but consistent shutter lag for me is an absolute top priority. My investment in this system has reached into tthe $1000's, and the number of lost shots and opportunities while I was last on assignment in Vietnam for instance hurts quite a bit.

Yes, Fuji need to get in on the action here, both acknowledging the issue and hopefully giving us a timeline for a fix.

Cheers,
Cass.

Back