Apple iOS 13.1.1 and bricking iPhones - discussion

I use iMessage but I prefer the system agnostic Telegram, or Signal, and always recommend others to do the same. Then it wont matter, android or ios, its all good.

I don't use Google's stock communication apps either.

I use Textra for messaging and Drupe as my dialer.
My wife just got her Samsung Galaxy S10+ a few months ago, so if I jumped to iOS, she would be the last of us to still be in Android. My daughter has an iPhone 7, and that thing is still going strong. It's the longest she's had a phone, ever.

Like Kevin, I am the family IT support. In the extended family, my wife and I are the only non-iOS users.

I don't use Google's stock communication apps either.

I use Textra for messaging and Drupe as my dialer.
My wife just got her Samsung Galaxy S10+ a few months ago, so if I jumped to iOS, she would be the last of us to still be in Android. My daughter has an iPhone 7, and that thing is still going strong. It's the longest she's had a phone, ever.

Like Kevin, I am the family IT support. In the extended family, my wife and I are the only non-iOS users.

See, Textra must be an Android thing. That isnt system agnostic. Telegram and Signal are available on all platforms That I can think of.

My iPhone - an Xr, which I bought at the beginning of this year, has had zero problems with upgrading to any of the iOS 13.x.x - I am currently on 13.1.2 and it is operating perfectly.

But I should also add that I do very little if any OTA stuff so I'm not the person to comment.

As a long term writer and screenwriter, I'm partial towards many Apple products - both desktops and laptops - for a few reasons, but the main ones have to do with geeky software - and not getting infected with viruses. I spent quite a few years playing a bunch of weird 'computer games' which were (and still are) initially marketed to the PC market - and every PC (running variations of Windows) that I've ever used, would eventually get infected by one or another horrible viruses which destroyed it. Macs, conversely while not 100% virus proof, tend to be remarkably virus free over the long term. Software wise, as a writer, I'm partial to interesting and strange writing programs (as they used to be called) or apps (as they seem to be called now) and for years and years, there simply were more (and more interesting ones) available for the Mac ecosystem. Many of the better ones - such as Scrivener, a brilliant and revolutionary outlining program - started out as Macs only and eventually ported over to Windows PC's but on the whole, in the weird little corner of the universe which I inhabit, there were just better Apps available.

Photographically speaking I imagine it's a tossup. And if you're a hardcore gamer, no question, Windows PC's and laptops rule. But smartphones seem to have established an entirely new universe with its own rules - and Kevin's point about hardware accessibility is a good one I think.

Long-term Mac computer users (among whom I number myself) have griped in recent years because most of the Mac OS updates have gradually borrowed or incorporated large parts of the iPhone iOS system's seemingly simpler ways of doing things. Hardcore Mac addicts refer to this as 'the dumbing down' of newer generations of Mac OS's - but the flip side of that is that, for most people, iPhone iOS's are really enjoyably (almost stupidly, some might say) easy (and sometimes fun) to use.

But I think they do interface better in some (both obvious and subtle) ways with other members of the Mac universe-slash-ecosystem - so depending on what other types of devices or hardware you want to have your phone communicate with....damn, it can get complicated.

But - and I know this sounds stupid - I love using my iPhone. So I would recommend it for the long-term fun factor .... but maybe that's just me.

See, Textra must be an Android thing. That isnt system agnostic. Telegram and Signal are available on all platforms That I can think of.
Textra is an SMS client so even though the software might be an Android app the data is agnostic and can be used to talk to anybody using normal "text messages". The same goes for Google Messages; it's a SMS client unlike the original Google Hangouts which was a closed system before it eventually integrated with SMS clients (like how Facebook Messenger can be used for either FB-to-FB messaging or be used as 'text' messaging client to non-FB users).
It might be. For a while I used Verizon's massaging app, but the interface is a bit of a mess and the performance is not great.
The only benefit of VZ Messaging is that syncs your messages across your devices where you have the app installed. If you're worried about losing your text history when you switch to iOS, that may be a workaround.

Something you may be interested in if you haven't come across it already (check it out on your laptop or other non-phone devices) ..... Verizon Wireless Text Messaging Web Interface (EDIT: I prefer messages.google.com but if you're trying to avoid Google then the VZW web interface will work as well; it's ugly compared to the Google offering but it works).

Last edited:
The same goes for Google Messages; it's a SMS client unlike the original Google Hangouts which was a closed system before it eventually integrated with SMS clients

You can avoid SMS entirely by using Telegram or Signal, you can get 100% encryption, and you can send messages to all your friends. They need to have either/or too, of course. The only way it cant work is if you have friends who refuse to d/l the app (I have one of those), or if people have no data. It doesnt matter which platform you use. Telegram<->Telegram, Signal<->Signal are theoretically impervious to all of that. They don’t use advertising. Of the two, Signal is the most secure.

What I *am* trying to say is that if you use either of those messaging apps, you can chop and change phones as much as you like, you’ll still have the same connection. Its a bit like email addresses. Who uses their ISP provider email address these days?

So, after discussing with the family, and much research the decision has been made.

I'm going to get the iPhone 11 Pro Max

Funny thing is that it had nothing at all to do with the cameras. Research proved out that both the pixel 4 and iPhone 11 cameras basically net out the same.

I looked at all my dsily driver apps and needs and found that all but 1 app is in both OS. The one that is not is not a mission critical app, just a nice to have.

Will be switching from Google Music to Spotify, family plans are the same and family agreed that we like the service and interface better.

The big kicker, though is that battery life. Pixel 4 XL are showing 7 hours of screen on time with optimized settings, around 5 with all the bells and whistles turned on.

iPhone 11 Pro max is getting almost 12 hours of screen on time. For me that is significant. I use my phone for a lot, and not only do I take pictures with it, but I also run a lot of my business from it.

I never thought that this day would come, but I am a future iPhone owner.

It might be a couple of weeks before I get it, and I will let you all know how I get along once I have it in hand and run with it for a while.

Now I'm off to look at cases and screen protectors.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Andrew, I have used Apple leather cases for some time with no damage to the phones! They have no cover over the screen. There has been no marks on the screen. I use the leather ones but they are not cheap!

Anyone used the LifeProof cases? I remember when they first came out, they were only for iPhone and I remember being a bit jealous because all Android users had were the bulky OtterBox cases. The LifeProof ones seemed just as protective, but slimmer.

Others I like are the i-blason Ares and the SupCase Unicorn Beetle.

I'm going to get the iPhone 11 Pro Max
Woooo, congratulations!

I tend to get Spigen lightweight shells for my phones, and some kind of antiglare screen protector. Its been enough, I havent ever broken anything.

Anyone used the LifeProof cases? I remember when they first came out, they were only for iPhone and I remember being a bit jealous because all Android users had were the bulky OtterBox cases. The LifeProof ones seemed just as protective, but slimmer.

Others I like are the i-blason Ares and the SupCase Unicorn Beetle.
I use them and love them.
I buy them direct from Lifeproof as there are plenty of fakes on Amazon.
caveat emptor

Woooo, congratulations!

I tend to get Spigen lightweight shells for my phones, and some kind of antiglare screen protector. Its been enough, I havent ever broken anything.

I've had a Spigen case in the past and liked them. Thanks for reminding me of them again.

I can't comment on moving from Android to Apple, as I've never used Android (biggest reason is 99% of the people in my circle use Apple, and my whole family is on apple, so for me, it's all about shared ecosystem) but in terms of 13.1.1 I've had no issues. I've used OTA for many updates (as long as they've been doing it) and never had any issues. I've also never bricked cameras with updates, but I am fastidious when I do updates, and you do always have the option to update via iTunes.

Since I'm the unofficial family "tech support" I've been reluctant to introduce another ecosystem into the mix but it keeps getting more tempting to do so every year.

Haha! Ain't that the truth! Same here, except we're all Apple. When you run the "help desk" for many friends and family, single platform is a huge bonus!

Andrew... Otterbox's Commuter series isn't bulky. But, right now I am using a black leather Apple case for my iPhone 7-Plus. A little slippery when brand new, but becomes much better with use.

Also, your new phone may come with iOS 13 already installed. But maybe not. If it has iOS12, I suggest waiting a bit - at least until seeing how iOS 13.2 works out - before making the update.

So here is my update. I’m currently typing this post on the iPhone 11 pro max. Got it earlier today at the local Apple store.
Still working to get all my apps setup how I like it, but the transition is not so bad as I thought.

Didn’t really get a chance to use the camera yet, but everything else is fine. Phone is currently on 13.1.3

Last edited:
Back