Apple IOS is so frustrating!

I have been chewing on something like that. I am thinking maybe start with a VM, if I like it well enough then dual-boot at least for a while before fully committing to Linux. Or ... I have an old laptop on the shelf I was about to repurpose for use with my synthesizers. I think Mint would run decently on it, and I could throw music/audio software on the newish laptop. Decisions, decisions, this is worse than GAS, lol.

I don't get the "There's no file explorer" thing ...
Having just recently made the move from Android to iOS, I think I can help with that.

In the example you gave of moving music from the ICloud to your IPad you were working within that Apple Eco System so everything went as expected and worked fine. Those of us coming from Android are use to seeing, and having access to, all of the files on our device in a structure very much like we would on a PC. If I wanted my music files on my Android tablet to live here: "\\Todd's Stuff\Offline Music\Artist\Album" it would not be a problem. I could copy my music to that folder (maintaining the /Artist/Album sub folder structure) and then point any music App I wanted to those folders and it could play the music. Same thing with photos, movies, anything, store it where you want. With iOS Apple assumes that I want all of my photos and movies stored in Photos, no other option. So I think when people say "there is no file explorer" (I didn't say it) they mean that the "Files" App does not give them nearly the control or flexibility that they expected.

I suspect the difference comes down to Apple's "It just works" philosophy. Don't worry about where the files are, we'll take care of that. Just use our Apps and everything will be fine.

I think both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I still miss some things Android, but I am not headed back. Also I think Android is headed down a path that will lead to less flexability to improve security. And Apple is quite aware of the frustration of some of its users concerning the iOS file system, they are planning to do some changes with iOS 16. Fingers crossed, we get some additional flexibility.

Apple’s “it just works” philosophy probably does work for most people. As long as they get what they want there isn’t much care about “where” that is. I admit to being unusual because I do care and I do want to know exactly where every bit of my stuff is located. Don’t like that hidden from me on the pretense of making it easier, and really don’t like any of it out of my immediate reach if I want to access (or delete it) it the way I please. My rules are consistent. Company rules, philosophy, and trust aren’t.

Then again… I’m just a curmudgeon and learned a lot of things the hard way. Sure that has a lot to do with it.

Having just recently made the move from Android to iOS, I think I can help with that.

In the example you gave of moving music from the ICloud to your IPad you were working within that Apple Eco System so everything went as expected and worked fine. Those of us coming from Android are use to seeing, and having access to, all of the files on our device in a structure very much like we would on a PC. If I wanted my music files on my Android tablet to live here: "\\Todd's Stuff\Offline Music\Artist\Album" it would not be a problem. I could copy my music to that folder (maintaining the /Artist/Album sub folder structure) and then point any music App I wanted to those folders and it could play the music. Same thing with photos, movies, anything, store it where you want. With iOS Apple assumes that I want all of my photos and movies stored in Photos, no other option. So I think when people say "there is no file explorer" (I didn't say it) they mean that the "Files" App does not give them nearly the control or flexibility that they expected.

I suspect the difference comes down to Apple's "It just works" philosophy. Don't worry about where the files are, we'll take care of that. Just use our Apps and everything will be fine.

I think both systems have advantages and disadvantages. I still miss some things Android, but I am not headed back. Also I think Android is headed down a path that will lead to less flexability to improve security. And Apple is quite aware of the frustration of some of its users concerning the iOS file system, they are planning to do some changes with iOS 16. Fingers crossed, we get some additional flexibility.
For clarification's sake, I was using pCloud (not iCloud at all), but I get what you're saying. I was copying my music library I - also - store on pCloud (i.e. online only for most purposes - though I can get things to stream from Windows and GNU/Linux) to the iPad Air, or more precisely, to VLC's folder. This worked as expected.

But what you're describing is, or so it might emerge, the reason why, while I can play the music files individually,, I cannot use the collection with other apps. I'll try exactly that.

N.B. I wouldn't have bought into the Apple-verse if there hadn't been the announcement of the upcoming availablity of i(Pad)OS 16. But I wasn't aware how far the limitations actually go as of now.

It's actually not what's bugging me most. But I have to re-try a couple of things before putting together a little rant ... I'm still too new at this to be able to judge everything fully.

M.

For anyone that isn't using a standalone tablet. There is some consolidation. Why don't you/they run the much touted "Boot camp" It is a thought. 2 birds with 1 stone. I don't know what the performance hit is but. It would be way faster than a virtual machine. Non'?

For anyone that isn't using a standalone tablet. There is some consolidation. Why don't you/they run the much touted "Boot camp" It is a thought. 2 birds with 1 stone. I don't know what the performance hit is but. It would be way faster than a virtual machine. Non'?
At least for me, Boot Camp wouldn't provide a solution - because I actually *need* native access to the Apple-verse, and it's frustrating and infurating how far and in what ways you're limited by purely arbitrary decisions - *policy*, nothing else.

This whole security thing is nothing but a red herring. I'd pick GNU/Linux over everything else any day when it comes to that.

Besides, most of us were talking about iOS/iPadOS devices anyway - no Boot Camp for those as far as I can gather; but you indicated as much - thus, no offense meant.

(Sorry, a glitch just ate all I had written for the last hour or so - yes, I was putting together quite a few observations, but this really blows a fuse ... I'm off, maybe I'll retry at a later date. It wasn't the iPad causing the glitch, but its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, an otherwise quite pleasing device even by direct comparison, but this serioulsly takes the biscuit. I'm done with this for today - and I don't have time to go over it in detail again tomorrow or in the coming days, so it'll just have to wait. 🤬)

M.

Interesting thread, usually I see only the pro-Apple type posts touting iPads over their Android counterparts.

Is there no stock 'file explorer' equivalent at all? 🤔
I bought an app called File Browser back in the days when Pads were new and fairly useless for anything resembling “work”. Its by Stratospherix, and there are now two versions… File Browser and File Browser GO which has more features. I’ve stuck to bog standard because its quite enough for my purposes.
FileBrowser - The Best File Manager and Document Viewer on the AppStore, Try it Free and there are app store links on the page.

The thing is, there’s no system level file system open to all apps. Apps handle their own files. For a few years there’s been an Apple supplied Files app. It is basically a database, which is what a file system is, that can talk to other apps and they can talk to it if they’ve been coded to use it.

This is because Apple was very concerned about security and reliability for their phones. Apps are all sandboxed and interaction with other apps is severely restricted. This approach has been used since the introduction of MacOS X. iOS and iPad OS are versions of OSX.

Have tried several epub readers, but have yet to find one that reads files in batches and manually one by one. have a folder of several years worth of red epubs I love to reread from time to time. But no way am I going tom manually put each file into an app. Why can not the apps just read the files on the device? Have not found one single app so far that does this. They have plenty for «buy your book here» but none for already owned books.

And the viritual keyboard, do not get me started, trying several others. How can it be such a difference??

Hahaha, well, I will find the thing it does well eventually and hopefully that will be it saving grace.

I've been using Calibre for years, to store and manage my ebooks. Then I use Hyphen reader to load them to my phone. I have hundreds of ebooks and I don't want them all on my phone at once.

The one reader which used to do exactly as you wanted was called Stanza. Amazon bought it, employed its coders for 6 months or so, and after they left, killed it dead. There have been several efforts to make a replacement but all have fallen short. It no longer runs on modern iPhones, I doubt that it would install. I still have a copy which runs on my old 3GS but why bother. I have moved on.

Back