BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
Ipad 2 - just the ordinary one with Wifi

There seems to be a waiting list in the UK

Can you get them in the good olde US

my wife wants one!!!! urrrgggg ....... what is happening -

I think most models are still a wait for. If you order online you can get one in about 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I think people are still going early to apple stores.

at least you guys are lucky "over there" pricewise - the cheapest Ipad 2 16gbte Wifi in the UK is US$650 - (including UK "sales tax" [VAT] at 20%)

Hey Billy: I just picked one up this past weekend. The only reason I was able to get one was
because the wife new the manager really well and he had a private stash in the back.
Mine was the 16 gig (dont neet much) wireless only....and I really like it so far... oh, it was
$499...he didn give me a break on the price...so much for friends
Cheers,
Pete

Hey Billy: I just picked one up this past weekend. The only reason I was able to get one was
because the wife new the manager really well and he had a private stash in the back.
Mine was the 16 gig (dont neet much) wireless only....and I really like it so far... oh, it was
$499...he didn give me a break on the price...so much for friends
Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete - that is the model that is US$650 in the UK

I would want one if it could handle photos well. But once you have them on the IPad it will not connect to anything to get then off. I does not recognize flash drives or any external drives unless you are willing to use an awkward work-around. I called Apple about this and they said, Right you need to use a computer.:(

I am still using my iPad 1. Can't stand the inability to organize my photos using the iPad itself. Totally irritated. As user friendly as Apple products are supposed to be, the umbilical chord of the iPad to iTunes is quite annoying. Why should I not be allowed to create folders, move photos around the folders, and delete photos as I wish just using the iPad???

I would want one if it could handle photos well. But once you have them on the IPad it will not connect to anything to get then off. I does not recognize flash drives or any external drives unless you are willing to use an awkward work-around. I called Apple about this and they said, Right you need to use a computer.:(
exactly, editting photos with computer is a good choice. ipad is still somewhat weak at that, but it is a good way to show photos.

I am still using my iPad 1. Can't stand the inability to organize my photos using the iPad itself. Totally irritated. As user friendly as Apple products are supposed to be, the umbilical chord of the iPad to iTunes is quite annoying. Why should I not be allowed to create folders, move photos around the folders, and delete photos as I wish just using the iPad???

Because then nobody would buy the MacBook Air. I agree, by the way, I won't buy an ipad without some type of file management system and easy ability to move stuff on and off the device. If I ever get something like this it would be the super light laptop instead. But I can't find a need for that either, so I just have my desktop Mac and an iphone and I'm pretty happy with that setup.

-Ray

Finally got an ipad 2 - (yesterday) - the cheapest 16 gbte wifi model - (i.e. not the 3G)

my wife already thinks that it is marvellous and has sent more email in a morning than she normally does in a couple of weeks if she has to use my MacBook - she is not a "computer" person but finds the ipad a lot easier to use than my MacBookPro

It has a few difference to the "normal" mac, but they seem to be easily solved

Still trying to Bluetooth "pair" the thing with my iMac and MBP - they seem to know that the ipad is around - they throw up the same "pairing" number but just will not connect

I suppose that I am impressed with this piece of kit - the user experience, so far, is enjoyable, and, as I indicated my wife really likes it and has been using it all morning, (hey - where is my morning "cup of tea") - maybe the ipad makes that as well

Congratulations to you, Bill - and to your wife!:bravo-009: I keep thinking it would be great for my husband (and of course I would like one, too). How does one play a DVD - do you need a separate drive or is there a slot? I'm not up-to-date on this new one.

Congratulations to you, Bill - and to your wife!:bravo-009: I keep thinking it would be great for my husband (and of course I would like one, too). How does one play a DVD - do you need a separate drive or is there a slot? I'm not up-to-date on this new one.

I believe that the only way to get "stuff" on the ipad is to either "wireless" it across, (Apple say use itunes), or to download it to the thing

No CD slot or USB port - which some quote as a disadvantage

Even after such a short time I have found that using the ipad is a slightly different way of thinking to, say, the MBP or the MacAir - but you seems to "pick it up" instinctively

We have only had it for a day, so cannot comment with any authority - but for certain functions, and/or user types, it is very easy to use, and all that they want/need

I am sure more apps will be released to allow the "lack of flexibility/functioality" that some complaint of, to be improved, but for me, (and my wife), if you accept this and major of it's positives, it is well worth the money.

I have used the Motorola Xoom, (my son has one), and although (some) reviews say that it is better, in many ways, than the ipad2, I prefer the ipad

Well done to Apple for moving forward, (some will say, "in the Apple way"), with this product

Maybe they should start designing "conventional" digital cameras

(PS - my wife has already said "please get one of your own and stop using mine")

Anyone know of a decently priced protective cover? It seems there are only two choices online from Apple. The £35 piece of plastic that only covers one side or the overpriced £60 leather case! Any suggestions please :)

Hi Christina

My wife has the Apple one in green

It is pretty good, (OK - some will say overpriced) - but it is made for the job and fits really well and can be used to raise the ipad so that it can be used as at an angle whilst sitting on the "desktop"

It protects the ipad well and what I have always found is that most of the cheaper non_OEM third party stuff does not (look) or work as well as the stuff made by Apple - (but I did say most)

Back