iPad Air for photography - is it finally time to buy?

All of your comments - Rich, Sue and Bill are greatly appreciated. I know when I used to work on my MacBook at a kitchen "bar" and sit there for hours...that my carpal tunnel would become terrible due to the angle at which my elbows were - and my neck, too. All more points in favor of the iPad - mini or air. I did hold the air version and it was, indeed, quite lovely, Rich.

So do I go 32 - 64...? I'm assuming I can keep what I like and move them to LR...not sure if I'd have to do it via the MacBook and then on to the external hard drive where it lives in perpetuity:rolleyes:. (I do sound serious this time, don't I?)

If I was buying now, I would go 128GB. The bigger, the better, for the photography. It gives you more base storage as well. I know its expensive but its probably going to do you for some time. I only bought 16GB when I got mine and really wish I had gone for the max available at the time which was 64.

I upgraded from the iPad 3 64g to the iPad Air with 128G and can not believe how much of a difference the weight reduction made. I can hold this one for hours reading with no fatigue!
Also, for photography, definitely get the retina display. The mini looks tempting but when your sharing images with family and friends, you will probably appreciate the bigger size.
There are so many photo editing apps to choose from I mostly use snapseed and occasionally photoshop. File management is easy with iCloud.
I have been using the iPad since the 1st version, and with the Air it seems like they have definitely got it all right!

One other thing you can check out, is the refurbished iPads in Apple's store. You get a fresh battery and warranty and everything is supposed to look and work as new. I was checking out a 4th gen refurb for my wife and it is discounted 25%+ versus the equivalent Air.

BTW, I think the Black Friday deal is $50 off.

BB, just in case you have not seen the deals today, the Apple Store is offering a $75 gift card on iPad Air purchases, on line or in store. Target is offering a $100 gift card, but only if you brave the crowds and shop in person.

I'm buying an Air. Just not sure if I should wait until Cyber Monday and go for it today.

Yup, Dean, I saw it and am hovering over the Add to Cart button. $75 will go towards the cover, etc. should I decide I need that stuff. No braving any stores for me...that would be too close to "hell" for my tastes!;)

Cyber Monday????? Oh right... Well a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

*OK, I did it and made the decision. Thank you all for putting up with me for...what 4 years or more?:blush:

*OK, I did it and made the decision. Thank you all for putting up with me for...what 4 years or more?:blush:

Aaaawwww………really……four years???? That's just cyberseconds in our world.

Congrats on a smart purchase. My wife still has the 1st gen iPad and Santa has her on his list for a Christmas iPad Air (funny……Santa got her the 11" MB Air last Christmas and it sits largely unused….she is just an Ipadite at heart).

So….what photo apps are you going to add to the new baby?

I took the iPad Air plunge as well. I'm guessing that the way Apple controls sales of their devices we won't be seeing deals next week that undercut what the Apple Store was offering today.

Aaaawwww………really……four years???? That's just cyberseconds in our world.

Congrats on a smart purchase. My wife still has the 1st gen iPad and Santa has her on his list for a Christmas iPad Air (funny……Santa got her the 11" MB Air last Christmas and it sits largely unused….she is just an Ipadite at heart).

So….what photo apps are you going to add to the new baby?

Good for you, Dean - my thoughts exactly!

Not sure about what apps yet but I know Sue posted a thread about what she likes somewhere. I'll hunt around. Snapseed for sure.

Karen, I'm so glad you posted and I promise to post some photos that aren't iPhone pix!:D

P.S. Here's that thread: iPad Processing: more sophisticated than ever

Just curious ... is there a reason why one would choose an iPad over, say an MacBook air or some other ultrabook? I suppose the cost is higher (not by much if you are going for the huge storage option.)

I only ask because i have a tablet and find that file management and the ability to create seems tedious, having to develop workarounds to do what could be done faster and easier with a mouse.

I love my tablet for content consumption. Great for reading and browsing and videos. I've tried to use it for photos while travelling, and it just doesn't cut my holiday pie the right way.

I'll end my thoughts there. Enjoy your new iPad!

I don't know Chris. I've decided to buy this for a number of reasons. When it comes to photos, it is quite amazing what one can do on one's little tiny iPhone with the touch screen and from what I've seen the iPad offers many good things... I do have a MacBook Pro and LR and the Nik Color and Silver Efex. (y) The art of photography is such an individual thing. I am not a commercial photographer but that said I know quite a few who employ their iPads in their work.

This is the article that first got me interested (note the date of 2010) by Ctein in the Online Photographer: Why I Needed an iPad (and You Might Not) and I see he's now writing an update of sorts: Apple iPad Air Review Of course, there have been many articles written by many photographers and including our good friend Alf :Apple - iPad workflow (or iPad vs Lightroom, sofa vs desk)... There are quite a few people who seem to find it quite helpful as well as enjoyable. And finally - check out Jeff Carlson's site: http://ipadforphotographers.com/ if you're interested in someone who has written books about its use and apparently has an ongoing blog, as well.

Only time will tell for me when it comes to photography. Now I'll have two choices.;)

I mainly use snapseed and ps express, but another fun app that is free is MultiExpo that composites two images. Of course you can keep combining more and make some cool layering.
Over all I find the ipad has become my main tool for viewing and sharing photos with family and friends. I always load my photos directly from the camera into my Mac and then use the iCloud photostream to get them on the ipad. Once I make edits on the ipad, the image is saved and uploaded back to the Mac when I sync the ipad.

Although the processor speed is faster on the ipad air vs. my ipad3, the biggest improvement for me is the weight. It is so light my hands and wrist do not get fatigued, and that was a problem for me with the ipad3.
Look forward to hearing your experiences when you get yours.

Although the processor speed is faster on the ipad air vs. my ipad3, the biggest improvement for me is the weight. It is so light my hands and wrist do not get fatigued, and that was a problem for me with the ipad3.

Don this is wonderful to hear. I've struggled with my iPad3 from the outset until I just gave up trying to be mobile with it, and it lives in a kensington ultra slim keyboard on a table. I bought a mini but the resolution on the first gen is not very good, once you get used to "retina" and it now serves as my plex broadcaster to my appleTV, streaming stuff I have on drives in the study. Based on your experience, I'll look to saving for the next iPad Air gen (can't afford yet, and I want some lenses and other house things first)

Back