Apple iPad "Essentials"

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
OK - I've got my ipad, (well not really as it's my wife's) - the basic 16 gbte one without 3G
(the way it is going I reckon that I will have to grab another)

what are the useful apps and other "bits and pieces" that are useful

how about a stylus pen thing

snapseed looks great - tutorial here

apps seem really good value

what else do you guys recommend, (with reasons and links please!)

What about a separate keyboard? Do any of you find it more helpful... I know they make some sort of case with a keyboard. Mind you, I'm just in the thinking about it stages.

dropbox - good for moving stuff between your computer and ipad, via the internet - seems a useful app - and you get 2 gbte free

Snapseed
Photogene 2
Evernote
Dropbox
Kindle
Zinio
Pages

And ....... Angry birds!

These are my most used apps. I also use Photosmith as I'm a Lightroom user. When you get yours get the 64Gb version and the camera kit. I have the keyboard dock for home but I'm happy to use the inbuilt on for emails when on the move.

Gordon

:bump: Moved this into this forum so I'm bumping it up to let everyone know. Most of the iPad threads were in The Watering Hole, but I've decided that those that deal with post processing and other aspects of photography really need to be in here for everyone's reading, researching pleasure.

Grats Mr. Bill:
With my iphone4s the icloud seems to be working as far as sending things (photos) between them.
Im not an avid gamer and really (sorry guys) dont see what people see in a bird that you shoot from a rubber band;)
But I do lots of post work on the couch watching cartoons with the grandkids. I'll get some of my apps I like best.
Good luck
Pete

Another endorsement for the new and improved version of Snapseed by Nik. Also FlickStackr, a great way to view the work of the creative folks from here who post their images on Flickr. If starting FlickStackr involved use of a dedicated button (it doesn't), that button would be worn out already on my 16-month-old iPad 1!

What do you all feel is your "essential" size need? 16GB, 32GB or 64GB and why?

I have a 64GB WiFi iPad and Doreen has the 32GB 3G iPad 2. For every day use about 99% of the time there is no difference but when we are on the road the 3G is more flexible.

As far as must have apps go it seems everyone is so different that it is hard to pick for others. As well as what comes with the machine the apps we have in common are iBooks, Solitaire City, Overdrive, IMDb, TuneIn Radio, Flipboard (a must have) TWC-iPad and Weather Eye HD. All are free with the exception of the solitaire app.

Thanks you guys. I'm definitely going for 3G when I go for it. I'm wondering about how much "space" one needs... Do you keep your photos on the iPad? I really need to reread some of Alf's posts in which he went into his workflow. Maybe you all will add to that thread, too? Hint, hint. https://www.photographerslounge.org/f13/ipad-workflow-ipad-vs-lightroom-sofa-vs-desk-1190/ I think it would be a very handy place for those who are into the iPad for photo processing to share their knowledge.

As a general rule of thumb, your "stuff" will expand to fill all available space. I do play games, I like those hidden object ones, scrabble, solitaire, sudoku etc. I also watch videos and lately process photograps.

Essential apps for photography/processing.
Snapseed by [?] - Download Snapseed in the iTunes App Store
App Store - PhotoForge2
App Store - Pixlr-o-matic (free)
There are many others, too many to list here, its a matter of try, and buy if you like, where there are "lite" versions available.

Video Watching
CineXPlayer (ipad only)
OPlayer HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store (ipad only but there is a version for iphone as well. not a universal app)

Games
Scrabble, Taptap sudoku. Plus a bunch of bigfishgames hidden object stuff. But only if you like that kind of thing.

I have a keyboard dock and never use it. I might use a keyboard if it were built into a case, but then again, might as well use the MBP.

Bought a pogo sketch stylus. Its OK. I hear the griffin and targus ones arent too bad. Whichever you were to choose, be prepared for a different experience. Of necessity the stylus has a lot of "drag" because of the nature of the touch screen. I used mine to take notes in Rounds at the hospital when I was still working. Couldnt tell you where it is right now. It would be useful if you were into drawing with apps like:
ArtRage for iPad on the iTunes App Store
App Store - Adobe Ideas (free)
Brushes

I've used the stylus with
Penultimate for iPad on the iTunes App Store (my favourite just for random notes)

Managing your ideas, taking notes etc...
ThinkBook - Write, Plan, Outline and Take Notes for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I guess I have spent well over $800 in the app store, not just on ipad, but also on iphone stuff... Much of it I have deleted. Here's the thing.. if you can get a lite version prior to spending any money... do it!

Oh... Pages is pretty good and if you are iclouded and have it on Mac as well, its syncable through the cloud.

I made a really long post on my blog when I first got the iPad. You might want to have a look at that too, just for an overview from a user, keeping in mind that the post is over a year old.
20 cool things to do with an iPad « Hamarana

I plan to upgrade to iPad 3 when its eventually released, I think I'll do that before I u/g the phone. Next time around I will be looking at going 64G wifi. I currently have 16G wifi only. I use a mini wifi router thingy because I have many portable devices and if I am out and need that much internet, I'd rather have something in my pocket that I can use with my laptop and phone as well.

Thank you so much, Sue - much appreciated! Less is more except when it comes to GB, eh? I'm thinking of buying the iPad2 and then willing it (right Pete?) to my husband "the ranger" - eventually. I think the iPad is right up his alley and will stop his swearing at my old 'puter.;)

If you like going to the movies, Flixter is a great app. You get ratings, previews, and release dates.

Also, for inspiration, The Guardian photo app and the Life photo app are both very good.

Thanks you guys. I'm definitely going for 3G when I go for it. I'm wondering about how much "space" one needs... Do you keep your photos on the iPad? I really need to reread some of Alf's posts in which he went into his workflow. Maybe you all will add to that thread, too? Hint, hint. https://www.photographerslounge.org/f13/ipad-workflow-ipad-vs-lightroom-sofa-vs-desk-1190/ I think it would be a very handy place for those who are into the iPad for photo processing to share their knowledge.

BB: While I really enjoy photo processing on the iPad, I still treat it as a preliminary step for quick viewing and posting of photos while away from home. So I wind up going from camera to iPad and again from camera to iMac, where I use LR, Nik, PSE for heavy-duty processing. Maybe someday, perhaps using the cloud, I'll have a workflow that lets me upload photos only one time; I'm just not there yet.

Re size, I'm glad I have the 64 gb. I decided early on to include my music on the iPad; that consumes almost a third of the available space. I haven't been diligent in removing photos, so I recently ran into a situation where I couldn't upload all the photos from a session shot in RAW + JPEG without doing some housekeeping first. The incremental cost of going from 32 to 64 is high relative to external memory, but the only external choice for an iPad is the cloud.

BBW, I understand you have an iphone. Using the iphone (or another smartphone) as wifi hotspot is the better solution than paying for the ipad 3G plus data plan. The hotspot solution allows up to 5 wifi capable devices to access the web via your phone at the same time, including ipads, PCs, Macs etc. Check with your carrier, most offer a phone data plan extension to include hotspot usage at reasonable cost. The smartphone wifi hotspot solution is by far more versatile and less expensive. The price difference between ipad wifi and ipad wifi 3G alone will cover many months of phone data plan extension.

I did look into that at one point, retow...and will again. I believe, if memory serves me, that what appealed about the month to month plan for the iPad for my needs was the fact that I wouldn't need the 3G all the time...and thus could choose to "hook it up" when needed. I'll recheck everything again, for sure. I'm with Verizon. Thank you very much for reminding me about this!

Chuck, I appreciate your input about how you find it an accessory for your photography but that you use your Mac, predominately.

I have to read more about "Air Display" which Alf talks about in https://www.photographerslounge.org/f13/ipad-workflow-ipad-vs-lightroom-sofa-vs-desk-1190/

Elizabeth, thank you for the heads up, too!

My problems with using the iPhone as a hotspot: a) battery life is atrocious on the iPhone 3gs but acceptable on the iPad; and b) I get lots of phone calls. The iPad data plan can be started and stopped; if you only want it for a month every so often, you can do that. The carriers bet you'll just let it automatically renew; they've won that bet with me...:redface:

Back