iPad Processing: more sophisticated than ever

Looking good, and reminds me that I have a question you folks might be able to help with (if it's okay to add an iPad-related question here...). If you've got a camera and an iPad but no computer, how do you get the photos onto the iPad for processing? My uncle wants me to give him some tech advice for that situation, I guess I need to find out what kind of camera he has and whether it has wi-fi built in?

Check out Kyteflier's post on why you need a computer if you use an iPad. She convinced me that I needed to back up my Pad to iTunes.

To get your pictures onto an iPad, you need an Apple Camera Connect Kit. It's an approximately $30 dollar accessory. You slip your SD card into the dongle, and insert that into the I/O port on the iPad. The transfer then becomes almost automatic.

Looking good, and reminds me that I have a question you folks might be able to help with (if it's okay to add an iPad-related question here...). If you've got a camera and an iPad but no computer, how do you get the photos onto the iPad for processing? My uncle wants me to give him some tech advice for that situation, I guess I need to find out what kind of camera he has and whether it has wi-fi built in?

With one of these: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (UK).

Without a computer though he'd need wifi on his ipad so he could upload his processed images on to a photo storage site such as flickr (you get apps to do that). He could then delete his images to make room for the next batch to be processed.

Snapseed has filled my needs for post processing, but does not seem to have a slider to deal with purple fringe. Sue, can you tell me if any of the apps that you have listed can allow purple fringe post processing?

Best to play with the tools in Filterstorm and see how you go. I can't find any direct reference to removal of purple fringing as a filter/tool in itself.

Not true. Adobe Revel does that, the Photoshops do not. Its optional.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to the upcoming Lightroom app you alluded to - that was the one I'd not read about, and unless I'm missing something in this article, the LR app specifically appears to be cloud-based. Anyway we'll hear much more as Adobe nears rollout of this.

Adobe Reveals Cloud-Based Lightroom-Style iPad App

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to the upcoming Lightroom app you alluded to - that was the one I'd not read about, and unless I'm missing something in this article, the LR app specifically appears to be cloud-based. Anyway we'll hear much more as Adobe nears rollout of this.

Right! My interest would vaporise right away. I'm a hobbyist, not a professional and the Creative Cloud isnt for people like me. $50/month is insane. But then, so is a lot of Adobe pricing.

I just bought Filterstorm Pro. It's not even close to being as intuitive as Snapseed. It will take a while to figure out what I can do with it. Thanks again Sue. You are my iPad photo processing guru.

I used Snapseed exclusively when my Mac crashed and went I repaired for several weeks. I found it very effective, so can't wait to try photoshop for the IPad as Sue recommends. FYI, I found Photosync to be a great
pp for transferring processed files from my IPad to my computer via wifi. You can also transfer from one iOs device to another, or from computer to iOs.

As I have a Mac and use iPhoto, iCloud and Photostream, everything I download to a device, or shoot on an iOS device, ends up in the stream, and I selectively download what I want to whichever computer/ipad/iphone. The good thing is... if you dont have a mac, you can still get an icloud account... You (generically speaking, not addressing an individual here) already have iTunes, so why not do it, anyway.

@Dennis: I don't see any advantage in Pro, I've stuck with the free version, because I bought Adobe PS Touch. And no, its not exactly intuitive in that you cant just hit a preset then all done. However there is so much that you can tweak, you should be able to dispense with purple fringing... I dont know that you'd ever do that with Snapseed, which allows a certain amount of tweaking but nothing like Filterstorm.

The following (which I have *not* yet seen on a big screen) has been directly imported from the camera, then processed in Photoshop Touch and Filterstorm (not Pro, no matter what the EXIF says... I'm sure I only got the free version). I decided to post here *before* I checked. Any horrid artifacts are going to be because of the photographer (either crappy shot, or visual deficit with small screen).. not the apps or platform its edited on.

I'm pretty chuffed though.

8708297639_69f4e0a63f_b.jpg

Untitled by kyte50, on Flickr

ohh Lovely!!!

@Dennis: I don't see any advantage in Pro, I've stuck with the free version, because I bought Adobe PS Touch. And no, its not exactly intuitive in that you cant just hit a preset then all done. However there is so much that you can tweak, you should be able to dispense with purple fringing... I dont know that you'd ever do that with Snapseed, which allows a certain amount of tweaking but nothing like Filterstorm.

No "free" Filterstorm showed up in my search at the App Store. The not pro version was a bit cheaper, but not significant.

Oh, and last app comment: I looked at Photosmith, which does sync with LR and looks promising in terms of allowing edits, metadata additions, etc, but, it does not yet support DNG files, which is all I shoot on both cameras.

Try shooting DNG plus a small jpeg. Photosmith can deal with that.

Gordon

Further to that, in last night's Sydney Morning Herald edition, there was an announcement that *all* Adobe apps would be online only and available only through that monthly subscription. I was reading it in my iPad app, I'll find another link. "Effective immediately" was what they said.

Adobe CEO: The Truth About Creative Cloud should explain it. If it were me, I'd be wanting Photoshop and Lightroom (maybe). That would take a monthly subscription of around $40US. Yes you would always be up to date with the latest, but that isnt all thats affected. What about when you find that your computer wont run the latest... and you will be left behind if you don't upgrade that, as well... This subscription model would not be something I would go for, even if I could afford it. Seems to be a moneymaking exercise to me, no matter what the CEO says.

Links to other excellent apps. First, the good free ones (and note that Snapseed is now free... many of us already paid for it but thems the breaks)

1. Adobe Photoshop Express
2. Filterstorm
3. Pixlr-o-matic
4. Pixlr Express Plus
5. Snapseed

Then, the Paid.

1. Adobe Photoshop Touch
2. iPhoto
3. Filterstorm Pro
4. Phototoaster
5. Perfect B&W

NB: Links go to Aus store (because thats what I have access to) and prices will vary according to your particular country's store.

Also, I've only included 5 of each, because I think that these are the most useful of whats out there. However, there is so much in the app store now, I have NO idea if there are better alternatives to those listed. Please, anyone should chime in with links to your favourite photo apps.

Sue,

I have played a bit with filterstorm. Maybe I will eventually use it enough to get comfortable (and I will use it, because it is the most expensive App on this machine) but I wanted to let you know about Photogene, another powerful App that I find a bit more intuitive. Snapseed is still my favorite for 95% of what I want for post processing.

Sue,

I have played a bit with filterstorm. Maybe I will eventually use it enough to get comfortable (and I will use it, because it is the most expensive App on this machine) but I wanted to let you know about Photogene, another powerful App that I find a bit more intuitive. Snapseed is still my favorite for 95% of what I want for post processing.

Thanks Dennis :) I already have had Photogene... but preferred Snapseed. Its all dependent on who we think and work :)

Thanks Dennis :) I already have had Photogene... but preferred Snapseed. Its all dependent on who we think and work :)

I can use Photogene to reduce the CA inherent with the Tamron 12-24. Also, it has some brush tools that I don't think are available in Snapseed. Therefore; I'll keep on.

Bumping this one up for some fresh eyes...mine included. Please if anyone has more to add about how they use their iPad for pping their photos, please add to the thread.:popcorm2:

Interesting Sue. It really reminds me how difficult it is to know what is real and what is not when it comes to digital photography - which I know probably sounds kind of silly.

As I sit here in my warm little house on the hill, the temperature is just above 5 degrees F (-15 C), and so I look at that first image and immediately feel the "cold" frozen light...and then I remind myself that you may well have taken that just the other day Down Under where it's anything but cold! Both images have their own beauty, Sue.

Back