Apple iPhone 4s Camera

Pretty interesting. I might pick up a Nokia N8, on the strength of its cam output- relatively large sensor and a relatively fast lens to boot. We'll see. If my phone works with a new battery tomorrow, then we'll just cross that off the list.

Pretty interesting. I might pick up a Nokia N8, on the strength of its cam output- relatively large sensor and a relatively fast lens to boot. We'll see. If my phone works with a new battery tomorrow, then we'll just cross that off the list.

You will not regret it if you do. Its a superb little camera and a decent smartphone to boot!

on the band wagon

I just uploaded the ios5 to my iphone4 to at least get the new features, without the phone and siri. I am a junkie for the iphone and use it alot. I believe im satisfied with it because my tolerances for a pure image has somewhat relaxed over the years and I seem to concentrate more on what the image says vs how it looks. Having said that I still do and always will enjoy a crispy clean and sharp photo with a decent camera.

Love this thread...thanks.

6231071341_ee48ea2ed8_z.jpg

iphone 4 and a touch of snapseed

I love my iPhone 4 for photos! And I never have a problem with coverage with Telstra here in Australia and I live out in the country :)

I have a couple of favourite apps for photography and am thinking of upgrading to the 4S but just not too sure yet.

You will not regret it if you do. Its a superb little camera and a decent smartphone to boot!

Thanks- just won a nearly new one with warranty and receipt off fleabay for 171 euros. Looking forward to seeing how well the cam works.

I honestly believe cams will be of huge competition to lower end cams and some even nearing the prosumer class, but time will tell. Certainly, apps will make a huge difference, unlike what we're seeing in real cams. Cams will always have a place, but discounting the future and present of phone cams is fairly ignorant, it appears.

I agree Snake!

A lot of people I know are so happy with their mobile cams that they wouldn't even think of buying a normal camera for every day use. To say they wouldn't make a dent in camera sales is silly as they already have and they will get better too. And I think a lot is with the Apps people like, Olympus are the only ones really who have the cool filters and many people don't want to do post processing, they just want to put their pics up on Facebook and things like that without the hassle.

I've ended up being forced to remain on my 3GS for the moment, that X100 purchase has made my free funds disappear and I am not going credit for a phone. However, having said that, I've updated the 3GS to iOS5 and really, I'm happy with it. I dont take that many pictures with the iphone, and when I do, the 3.2mp is enough. If I am going out to take pix, I take a camera, and truth to tell I have a camera of one kind or another in addition to the phone at all times, so a phone camera isnt a huge deal for me anymore.

My iPhone 3GS is still on the original operating system...whatever that is. I don't really need for it to do anymore than it currently does so I'm not particularly bothered about updating/upgrading.

The camera you have with you is the best camera, etc, etc, etc. Except that the cell phone camera's I've had with me in the past never made me want to take them out of my pocket. Today I was at a strip mall, saw a couple of shots, didn't have a "REAL" camera, but remembered my new iphone 4s sitting in my pocket. And here are a couple from that. Shot with hipstamatic and then dressed up a bit in Silver Efex Pro...

View attachment 43205

View attachment 43206

-Ray

Those are really nice.

A friend of mine is a fairly accomplished visual artist and often takes pics with his iPhone. They are technically not of good quality, but the artistry behind them and exploiting the drawbacks of the cam is amazing on his part. He doesn't know anything about the specifics of cameras and their output, yet conceptually, he works with what the camera puts out and builds around it. I made a pic with my wb650, which I got into the DPR criticism of, but he was one of the first to say how his mind was blown and told me something which stuck- "drawbacks are relative". And it really did and that's what he does, subconciously. His pics are of a private nature, posted for friends on facebook, but believe me, some of the pieces are pretty fascinating and without any alteration.

Ray, looking really good! I can't remember what the megapixel differences are. So you never used your "old" iPhone's camera, eh? Looks as though you've got yourself a new camera.:D

Shonnay, welcome to Serious Compacts! I'm hoping someone here with more experience will be able to give some help with your questions. In the meantime, please stop over to the Welcomes and Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself. You should be able to sync to your computer via iTunes.

Ray, looking really good! I can't remember what the megapixel differences are. So you never used your "old" iPhone's camera, eh? Looks as though you've got yourself a new camera.:D
I wouldn't say never, but rarely. I had a 3G before this. I liked the camera in my wife's iPhone 4 considerably better than in my 3G, and the 4s is a bit nicer still. Not sure it's about megapixels (5 vs 8 with iPhones 4 and 4s - no idea what the 3G was), but the lens is faster, the camera operates more quickly, and the results are just better. Again, less of a comparison between 4 and 4s that 3G and 4s, which is a much bigger jump. I even took a few practice street shots with it yesterday (just hanging out in front of a store waiting for my wife and daughter) - no photographs worth showing, but I was pretty happy with the speed and handling. Like a lot of point and shoots, it's pretty capable in decent light. Not a bad backup considering I always have it in my pocket anyway. The 3G camera felt like more of an afterthought - this one moves into "decent little camera" territory.

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. I only know the iPhone 4 as it was my first and remains so. For me, there's something about the Hipstamatic Ap that I really love...and the fact that it is almost always with me and that the cell phone has become ubiquitous...well, it makes it extremely unobtrusive - as long as one isn't subject to listening to someone "talk" in a very loud voice as though no one else around can hear them.:rolleyes:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. How do you like "Siri"?;)

Yeah, I sort of like Hipstamatic too - the two shots above were taken with it. But sort of like with HIBW with the GRD3 or the dramatic tone filter with the Oly cams, after a while I tend to revert back to basics and then do the processing myself, after the fact. I can pretty much get the same types of looks as the various in-camera pre-sets give me, and then I have more control to tweak the details if I want. Siri is pretty cool when she can find the network. Its a very well implemented feature, but I've already asked for some really basic stuff, like just playing a song in my ipod or calling someone in my contact list and if she can't connect to Apple's larger system, it won't happen. But when it can connect, its great. I just asked it to remind me of something this afternoon and it just added it to the reminders with an alarm set to go off. Pretty slick. I also like that I can dictate emails or any other place i'd want to enter text (like here, if I was doing this on the iphone). The whole voice recognition thing is getting pretty good when its working this well at the consumer level. Jeez, we've been talking to computers on various corporate phone lines for years now - now we can put them to our own uses...

-Ray

Voice recognition is huge. The technology will be a dramatic help to so many. Last night on 60 Minutes there was a very good section about how the iPad is helping many with Autism. I'd read articles about this before but seeing people who were truly able to communicate...when they had been so stifled before was extremely moving.

Ray is in a unique group that loves, high contrast, sharp lines and blown out spaces. Not to mention oversaturated shots with touches of an almost abstract feel to them.
A man after my own heart....well done, and with a cell phone, go figure.
Pete

Back