Apple iPhone 4s Camera

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
From the live broadcast on today's iPhone 4s & 5 intro:

Apple-designed imaging engine, which allows for face detection and auto white balance. Chip takes "super fast" photos.

[Clarification: 1.1 seconds to first photo, 0.5 seconds shot to shot]
2:10 - Real-time image stabilization, real-time temporal noise reduction. Video demo goes up.
2:10 - Showing photo examples. Next: video capture. Take stunning HD video, and for the first time [on an iPhone], 1080p video.
2:09 - iPhone 4S takes 0.5 seconds to get to a shot. Rivals take 2-3X longer. "What do Droid Bionic customers have to do between taking pictures? Get coffee?"
2:07 - Amazing lens system with five lens elements. Now a wide f2.4 [aperture]. Compared to most point and shoots, we can let in a lot of light.

2:06 - CMOS, backside-illuminated sensor. Gets 73% more light than the iPhone 4, and a third faster. High-end IR filter for greater accuracy and more color uniformity.

2:05 - Camera system: now an eight-megapixel sensor. "All-new camera." Already surpassed every other camera out there on photo sites. Set our sights on competing with many great point and shoot cameras.

Read more: Electronista Live Event Coverage | Electronista

Shout when they say it has a tripod socket... ;)

Maybe have to look at an addon:

Amazon.com: Steadicam Smoothee Camera Mount Only for Apple iPhone 4: Camera & Photo

41hJl8Ay0bL.jpg

Just use the Serious Compacts link to Amazon!!!!

I just can't deal with the dynamic range of these cell phone cameras (I have an iPhone 4 right now.) They've improved greatly in many other aspects, but but not dynamic range. If there was more control over parameters (exposure compensation, contrast, or better yet RAW capture), that might help (somewhat.)

But of course they are still good for what they are- something you always have in your pocket.

Exposure compensation would be a huge plus, but it's not in the iPhone API so camera apps can't offer it. You can lock exposure and try to pick a spot that will give you the EV you want, but that's sort of a hack.

But the iPhone 4 camera is a nice cell phone camera, don't get me wrong! ;)

I don't like to make calls with my cameras and don't like to take pictures with my phones no matter the specs. Seems I'm an old fashioned guy:(

I've been having an android fest this past week ahead of the iphone. I am going to give this one a miss too, I think I'll wait for iPhone 5 which no doubt will be this time next year. My 3GS is just going to have to do the distance (and the Acer Liquid Metal, and the Huawei Sonic, neither of which have decent cameras.). Or I could sell my X100 to pay for it.

I don't mind iphone photographs, I was really surprised at how good the first lot were off the 2MP camera, and the 3.2 isnt bad. The 5MP was decent as well and I am thinking that the new camera will improve on those. The camera in the iPhone beats all comers, IMO.

I don't like to make calls with my cameras and don't like to take pictures with my phones no matter the specs. Seems I'm an old fashioned guy:(

You're not alone. I had an "official issue" iPhone 4 for work and detest the thing. I have gone back to using a 4 year old NokiaE71 because it is a better tool in all the ways that matter - ability to pick up and hold a signal, call clarity, bluetooth integration, speakerphone, caller announce, voice control (it will read your emails and texts to you) fast and accurate GPS and web access, email, contacts and calendar handling etc etc. I never use the built in camera either and thought the one on the iPhone a bad joke - more for the handling than the performance. I'm afraid the iPhone is a cool gadget but a fatally compromised tool, jack of all sorts of useless trades, master of none.

Oh and in case I am coming across as a bit of a luddite my "usage trajectory" goes from Sharp to Psion to Palm to Nokia to iPhone (and back again :rolleyes: ) and I am typing this on a Galaxy Tab ;)

I've been having an android fest this past week ahead of the iphone. I am going to give this one a miss too, I think I'll wait for iPhone 5 which no doubt will be this time next year. My 3GS is just going to have to do the distance (and the Acer Liquid Metal, and the Huawei Sonic, neither of which have decent cameras.). Or I could sell my X100 to pay for it.

I don't mind iphone photographs, I was really surprised at how good the first lot were off the 2MP camera, and the 3.2 isnt bad. The 5MP was decent as well and I am thinking that the new camera will improve on those. The camera in the iPhone beats all comers, IMO.

Sue, even the 12mp Nokia N8?
;)
6157222687_bafb91f387_b.jpg

My 3GS is falling apart (the volume rocker went on walkabout a few months back and its just scratched and beat up and starting to rust - I don't baby my phones!) so I'll be at the front of the line for this one. The camera wasn't part of my thinking but it won't be bad to have a really decent point and shoot always in my pocket. Who knows, maybe it'll be a decent little stealth street camera. I'll certainly give it a try.

I've never had any problem with it as a phone either. I guess its down to where you live. I understand people in NYC and San Francisco can't make calls at all lots of times. In the Philly area, I don't think I've had more than a handful of dropped calls in the couple of years + that I've had it - no worse than any other phone. So I don't think Apple messed up the phone - the ATT network just isn't up to the demand in some places. Although I've been in NYC with it a couple of times since I've had it and I don't recall having any problems there either...

-Ray

Try using it anywhere in the UK or mainland Europe or - horrors! on a train - and you'll see what I mean... ;)
I dont lose my signal on NSW trains, theres APs everywhere here. Then again you do need to have the "right" provider. I found that all my phones become a bit unreliable when underground, or in faraday cages :)

Also, I have changed my mind about this. I was on a 2 year upgrade cycle... iphone 2G, 3GS, now 4S. Gotta save up, and will not be getting it on day 1.

Love my iPhone 4 and on Verizon's network there's nary an issue for me even in the hinterlands of western CT...well, OK, there will always be dead zones. Frankly, I've been having a great time using the camera with the hipstamatic ap...and even added in some Snapseed touches, admittedly hard for me to see too well due to my eyesight.

If I were do for an upgrade, I'd snap the new camera...um, I mean phone up in a second.:D

I love my iPhone 4, but will likely pass on the 4s. I process my iPhone pictures pretty heavily and I'm not concerned about higher image IQ on the device. Siri sounds interesting but I'm not sure it is interesting enough for me just yet.

I would rather have AT&T work on improving their network first. It may be time to switch to Sprint.

BTW I don't talk that much on the iPhone. I text quite a bit and use it as a "computer" more than anything else. I want fast data speeds!

I'm with you. I'll wait for the 5. Ever since I started using Snapseed, the photos from the iPhone 4 have looked even better. Not that I care to use the iPhone for taking photos anyway. After all, that's what the "serious compacts" are for! :)

Not sure if it's necessarily AT&T's fault with the bad reception (at least here in Houston). I used to get much better reception with the 3G than my 4. Some of my friends with non-iPhone AT&T phones also seem to get better reception than the 4. So my guess is that the 4 itself is the problem.

I love my iPhone 4, but will likely pass on the 4s. I process my iPhone pictures pretty heavily and I'm not concerned about higher image IQ on the device. Siri sounds interesting but I'm not sure it is interesting enough for me just yet.

I would rather have AT&T work on improving their network first. It may be time to switch to Sprint.

BTW I don't talk that much on the iPhone. I text quite a bit and use it as a "computer" more than anything else. I want fast data speeds!

Not sure if it's necessarily AT&T's fault with the bad reception (at least here in Houston). I used to get much better reception with the 3G than my 4. Some of my friends with non-iPhone AT&T phones also seem to get better reception than the 4. So my guess is that the 4 itself is the problem.

The 4s is said to have a new antenna.

Back